GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

7,905 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Johnny Byrnes
msg tools
So, I recently started Kindred Fire with some friends. We did the first mission and won (barely), and then played the second mission(1st side mission) and lost and got 0xp. We lost so I assumed that's the way it goes. But the next week I didn't bring my iPhone and loaded up a previous game on my iPad where we had also already played the first mission, and this time we won on the side mission but this time although we won, it again gave us 0xp!! Is that normal or a bug? If it's not a bug, then what's the point of a side quest if you can't level up your character outside of gold/fame? If we skip side-missions and only play the story missions that actually give XP wouldn't that only be like 3-4 missions/XP for the whole campaign? If so, that doesn't sound like you'd ever get to see much of your class deck and kind of defeats the purpose for me to enjoy it. Our group has played a ton of Imperial Assault where every side and story mission gives you 1xp even if you lose, but sometimes you can get 2xp on story missions if you win (not to mention the gold to upgrade your gear), so maybe that's affecting my expectations here. Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob H
United States
California
flag msg tools
As someone new to Descent 2e and thinking about checking it out for the co-op RtL, I am getting that progressions is static 1 point per big quest no matter what the heroes individually do. I am coming from other dungeon crawlers (most recently Brimstone) used to progression being more like video games where individual kills or actions generate exp.

Am I understanding that RtL only offers a single experience point to each hero after a full quest? That is currently you could only progress two points up from the initial three if you played all of the Goblin and Kindred missions?

I read in other posts that side quests are added to the game per expansions you own, would this mean that they don't reward the players with any progression?

How does RtL scale? Do the enemies also progress in some way over time?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysztof RabidBlackDog
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The reason to do side missions is to get gold to use on City Action in the city. City Action allows you to spend 50 gold and advance the game one week to give one character 1 xp. That method of devolping characters forces players to make some strategic choices regarding making the side missions or not, and who should get the xp and when.
In my opinion it adds depth and is kinda cool system, very different from overlord campaigns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob H
United States
California
flag msg tools
Great and helpful answer. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
thiago k
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Side quests are a good source for gold and fame.

The fame interferes with the price and availability for better items in the store. And you can get additional options in some travel events.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnny Byrnes
msg tools
Thanks for the responses. But that brings up a few more questions.

1) Is fame the way you get better items in the store or do you get better items just by the progression of the game? Are there Acts in RtL:Kindred Fire and that's what brings out Act 2 items, or does only higher fame bring out Act 2 items?

2) If you have to spend a week and some gold to get XP outside of the main missions, how many story/non-side missions are there in the entirety of Kindred Fire? I assume if it's anything like IA there are like 5 or 6 main story missions. Is that accurate? Does it actually say anywhere in the app or rule book? That might be useful.

I feel like in IA I get enough XP to get about 3/4 of the cards in my class deck if not more. If I don't get that, then I don't feel like I've really gotten to explore that class very well, and that would be a bit of a downer for me. So hopefully it's just ignorance of the way RtL is supposed to work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
thiago k
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
JohnnyBurbank wrote:
Thanks for the responses. But that brings up a few more questions.

1) Is fame the way you get better items in the store or do you get better items just by the progression of the game? Are there Acts in RtL:Kindred Fire and that's what brings out Act 2 items, or does only higher fame bring out Act 2 items?

2) If you have to spend a week and some gold to get XP outside of the main missions, how many story/non-side missions are there in the entirety of Kindred Fire? I assume if it's anything like IA there are like 5 or 6 main story missions. Is that accurate? Does it actually say anywhere in the app or rule book? That might be useful.

I feel like in IA I get enough XP to get about 3/4 of the cards in my class deck if not more. If I don't get that, then I don't feel like I've really gotten to explore that class very well, and that would be a bit of a downer for me. So hopefully it's just ignorance of the way RtL is supposed to work.

You get xp from story quests winning or lose. The structure for the campaign its almost the same from IA, but you can skip the side quests if you want and go directly to the main quest.

1) Fame its the only way to give a "chance" to get better act 2 items. The act 2 not change the shop.

2) Kindred Fire has 6 quests (4 act I and 2 act 2 quests). If I remeber correctly, the quests give a total amount of 7xp

The campaign system in RTL involves time management as a game source.

You have a total time for more or less 20 weeks until the finale.

How the system works: you have a story quest which will start in 3 weeks. Between this time - do anything you want or simple choice not wait and try this quest. You will expend 1 week to travel, but winning or losing, the rest of time from this quest are added to next story quest - the next one instead of 3 weeks, will start in 5 weeks and so on.

So, the quantity of side quests you can try (and consequently the amount of bonus gold/fame you can get) or the quantity of xp from the city actions you can use, are directly associate to how much you are able to optimize your actions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnny Byrnes
msg tools
Perfect! That's exactly what I was looking for! Thanks very much for that detailed answer!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian H.
Germany
Weilburg
Hessen
flag msg tools
Evil Overlord
badge
Evil Overlord
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of the main quests grant the heroes 2 XP if they win them, while they will only get 1 XP, if they lose the quest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
thiago k
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
DelphiDie wrote:
Some of the main quests grant the heroes 2 XP if they win them, while they will only get 1 XP, if they lose the quest.

Tested yesterday. It's the same amount, winning or losing. Don't know if you can get more xp with others objectives.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Start mission - 1xp
Second quest - 1xp
Third - 2xp
Fourth - 1xp
Fifth - 2xp
Finale - 0xp.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tiho can
msg tools
kraisto wrote:
DelphiDie wrote:

Tested yesterday. It's the same amount, winning or losing. Don't know if you can get more xp with others objectives.

Start mission - 1xp
Second quest - 2xp
Third - 1xp
Fourth - 1xp
Fifth - 2xp
Finale - 0xp.

I just checked and the amount of XP can definitely vary:

I ran a quick test on 2nd quest and KO'ed all heroes at the start until quest was failed, and got only 1 XP. That's also the amount our group got when losing by KO near the end (we got the Staff of Light but did not use it to open the door). I know you get 2 XP by winning and using the Staff to open the door (I did that test after we lost as I was curious to see what we missed). How did you manage to get 2 XP by losing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
thiago k
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
tihocan wrote:
kraisto wrote:
DelphiDie wrote:

Start mission - 1xp
Second quest - 2xp
Third - 1xp
Fourth - 1xp
Fifth - 2xp
Finale - 0xp.

I just checked and the amount of XP can definitely vary:

I ran a quick test on 2nd quest and KO'ed all heroes at the start until quest was failed, and got only 1 XP. That's also the amount our group got when losing by KO near the end (we got the Staff of Light but did not use it to open the door). I know you get 2 XP by winning and using the Staff to open the door (I did that test after we lost as I was curious to see what we missed). How did you manage to get 2 XP by losing?

Edit: Indeed, quest 2 has different values by winning or losing. But the final amount of xp you can get in the campaign may not change.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian H.
Germany
Weilburg
Hessen
flag msg tools
Evil Overlord
badge
Evil Overlord
mbmbmbmbmb
kraisto wrote:

Start mission - 1xp
Second quest - 1xp
Third - 2xp
Fourth - 1xp
Fifth - 2xp
Finale - 0xp.

The second Quest "Kildarth the Marked" definitely has differing XP rewards. If the heroes win this quest, they receive 2 XP and the next quest is "Burning Wrath". If they lose this quest, they receive 1 XP and the next Quest is "Moth and Flame".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
thiago k
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
DelphiDie wrote:
kraisto wrote:

Start mission - 1xp
Second quest - 1xp
Third - 2xp
Fourth - 1xp
Fifth - 2xp
Finale - 0xp.

The second Quest "Kildarth the Marked" definitely has differing XP rewards. If the heroes win this quest, they receive 2 XP and the next quest is "Burning Wrath". If they lose this quest, they receive 1 XP and the next Quest is "Moth and Flame".

Perfect. Now I understand what happens.

Tested again:

!!! Spoilers !!! This is how the campaign works:

winning all

quest 1 : 1 xp
quest 2 : 2xp (Kildarth the Marked)
quest 3 : 1xp winning or losing (Burning Wrath)
quest 4 interlude: 1xp (The Defend of Thelys)
quest 5 act 2: 2xp winning or losing (The Glade of All Illusions)
quest 6 finale

Total: 7xp

losing all

quest 1: 1xp
quest 2: 1xp (Kildarth the Marked)
quest 3: 2xp winning or losing (Moth and the Flame)
quest 4 interlude: 1xp (The Defend of Thelys)
quest 5 act 2: 2xp winning or losing (Bloodhound)
quest 6 finale

Total: 7xp

Quest 3 is directly associate by winning or losing the quest 2 and the quest 2 is the unique quest with diffent values in xp by winning or losing.
Quest 5 is directly associate by winning or losing the quest 3. If you win you will get The Glade of All Illusions, if you lose you will get Bloodhound;
Winning and losing in some specific quests change elements in the finale.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BTW in standard Descent campaign (i.e. played without an app) the side quests are also 0 xp, seems it is done for balancing reasons, not to force players to do them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.