Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have the Acolyte in the party, then poison is annoying but not too bad. If you're moderately well equipped you may have potions. But it seems to me that poison limits your selection of heroes in a way beyond even roleplaying games do (because you can't do what they do, just load up on potions).

Wouldn't it be better to limit the DoT type effect of poison to be some fixed number of refresh phases based perhaps on monster type:

minion - 2 refresh phases unless renewed by further attacks
captain - 3 refresh phases unless renewed by further attacks
agent/mini-boss/boss - 4 refresh phases unless renewed by further attacks

That way, even if you don't have the Acolyte, the result isn't awful, just serious.

Or am I missing something. I am pretty much a beginner, so it's very possible. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like that would work to me. In most video games like this there is a DoT duration for poison effects so I don't see why you can't house rule this for Myth if it makes your game more fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Derksen
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
armoredgear7.net
badge
Heroes of the Aturi Cluster dockingbay416.com/campaign
mbmbmbmbmb
You're not wrong; unlimited duration Poison can really suck. While the Brigand also has a card that can cure Poison (Blood Letting), and the effect expires at the end of an Act, I've had similar issues in parties that don't include the Acolyte.

My preferred method is to roll 2 fate dice each refresh phase: If either result is Darkness, the Poison effect is removed. Otherwise, suffer 1 Poison damage as usual. This results in an average of 3 refresh phases of poison damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just acquire the 4 Serendipity to revive a character.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Loeffler
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
IMHO poison is fine the way it is. Limiting its duration would:

- make the insects a totally boring monster type. Their stats are among the weakest monsters out there.
- remove a cool mechanic from the game. Each hero that can cure poison will remove the card, because there is no reason to cure it. It's just 2 to 4 damage. Any heal will be more useful than a card to remove poison. Cure poison potion will also be useless as each vitality potion heals 4 vitality.

Just my 2c. There is for sure a lot to houserule in MYTH, but poison isn't one of those things, IMO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I always have to make allowances for the fact that I tend to not be in the mainstream in questions like this (which is why I look for input). Most people seem to want to make the game harder where I'm looking for an interesting challenge but scalable. To me poison gives you a condition you can only cure if you happen to have brought along one of the couple of characters who can cure it. This means that for some players, it's a minor annoyance and for others it's a major handicap -- just because you didn't bring the Acolyte or Brigand along.

To me that's a danger signal. If you could build up and keep anti-venom potions that would be a mitigating factor (but you can't because they want you to discard potions and money between adventures).

The fix doesn't have to be "fixed duration" but I'm pretty certain that for me (and perhaps for others) there needs to be SOME fix which allows the players to heal the poison in some fashion. Otherwise a weak monster (meant to be the weakest in the game) become the most powerful because they can kill any hero -- eventually. DoT attack with effectively infinite faith (if we equate it to the Acolyte's DoT attack) but for every weak minion.

No-one has to agree with me of course, we're all deciding on our own game rules in this game, as it should be, but as a DM I wouldn't pull this on my players in an RPG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Loeffler
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
carbon_dragon wrote:
I always have to make allowances for the fact that I tend to not be in the mainstream in questions like this (which is why I look for input). Most people seem to want to make the game harder where I'm looking for an interesting challenge but scalable. To me poison gives you a condition you can only cure if you happen to have brought along one of the couple of characters who can cure it. This means that for some players, it's a minor annoyance and for others it's a major handicap -- just because you didn't bring the Acolyte or Brigand along.

To me that's a danger signal. If you could build up and keep anti-venom potions that would be a mitigating factor (but you can't because they want you to discard potions and money between adventures).

The fix doesn't have to be "fixed duration" but I'm pretty certain that for me (and perhaps for others) there needs to be SOME fix which allows the players to heal the poison in some fashion. Otherwise a weak monster (meant to be the weakest in the game) become the most powerful because they can kill any hero -- eventually. DoT attack with effectively infinite faith (if we equate it to the Acolyte's DoT attack) but for every weak minion.

No-one has to agree with me of course, we're all deciding on our own game rules in this game, as it should be, but as a DM I wouldn't pull this on my players in an RPG.

Just curious: How many times have you played the game and how many times did a hero die from poison?

If you are that worried about the effect, I'd suggest that you could add the following rule to your game:

When you encounter a merchant, the highest priced item is always replaced by an anti-venom potion. The price for the potion is equal to the price of the item it replaced.

That way you always get a chance to heal the poison but it will cost you:

- a nice item you'd otherwise be able to purchase
- a lot of gold

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you not see Serendipity as a solution?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Loeffler
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Squatting Monkey wrote:
Do you not see Serendipity as a solution?

I don't think, that it is for the OP. IMHO poison is totally fine the way it works and I wouldn't have it any other way.

It's not like being poisoned is a death sentence. You always have the chance to draw anti-venom potions from treasure drops, you can draw a merchant that sells anti-venom potions, you get rewarded anti-venom potions by quests, you have serendipity to revive a hero or use it further the odds when drawing treasure tokens, you can find items that allow to reroll enemy fate dice, reducing the chances of getting poisoned to practically zero and and and...

No offense @OP but I think this is more a theorycrafting problem or a "omg I died because of poison", kind of threat. I've played this game "a few times" and death by poison happened once perhaps twice. There is like a lot of stuff in this game that can kill you faster and much more reliable than poison...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
No I haven't died yet. What the poison does is make me take the Acolyte in my party always. The effect is more subtle.

The problem is that poison isn't a consistent threat -- it's a powerful threat to some parties and a minor annoyance to others.

Another possibility I just thought of would be to just add a potion or two to a character's starting equipment. Their choice, free of charge (or else give them some starting gold -- which I what every RPG does). They can mitigate their own weaknesses that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zee ogre
msg tools
mbmb
You can use Serendipity to summon the potion merchant and buy the cure potion, that's cheaper than a revive
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Loeffler
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
zogre wrote:
You can use Serendipity to summon the potion merchant and buy the cure potion, that's cheaper than a revive

I believe you can only call Three Dunes with Serendipity and if memory serves me right, he only offers a focus and a healing potion - no anti-venom...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judy Krauss
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
but I'm not the only one
badge
My hands are small, I know, but they're not yours, they are my own
mbmbmbmbmb
nimmzwei wrote:
zogre wrote:

I believe you can only call Three Dunes with Serendipity and if memory serves me right, he only offers a focus and a healing potion - no anti-venom...

Healing potions can replace the vitality lost from poison until your hero is cured by some other means (including just making it to the end of the act). A poisoned hero, after the first damage, only loses a vitality point each Refresh phase (once per Hero Cycle), so the vitality attrition can be compensated for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.