Ikusa» Forums » Rules

Subject: Kick a player out and as a reward you get your lost Daiymo's back rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nils 1973
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Dear fellow fan of this game,

I have several times read about occasions when a player got his lost Daiymo's back (revived from the deadzombie?) after taking another players last Daiymo.

I like this rule, but I can find no basis at all for this in the rules.
Is that because I have the original Shogun game from 1986, or is it just a (popular) houserule?

Thank you for your time and trouble,

Nils
The Netherlands
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a rule explicitly in the rules book of my set which is the Gamemaster series version under the name Samurai Swords.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nils1973nl wrote:

I have several times read about occasions when a player got his lost Daiymo's back (revived from the deadzombie?) after taking another players last Daiymo.

I like this rule, but I can find no basis at all for this in the rules.
Is that because I have the original Shogun game from 1986, or is it just a (popular) houserule?

Thank you for your time and trouble,

Nils
The Netherlands

I have the original Shogun game and it's on page 23 of the rules (English). It's under the Eliminating An Opponent From The Game section.

Edit: Link to rules: http://www.hasbro.com/common/instruct/Shogun.PDF
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nils 1973
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Dear Moshe and Jeff,

Thank you for your answers!

I am a bit ashamed that I didn't find/read it myself, I really thought I spelled out the document! blush

Jeff thanks for the link to the rules, and for telling me where to look.

I had read over it, more than one time.

Tnx again!!!

Nils
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Kenny Dorham || Trompeta Toccata || Whistle Stop || Una Mas
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jyeackle wrote:

I have the original Shogun game and it's on page 23 of the rules (English). It's under the Eliminating An Opponent From The Game section.

Edit: Link to rules: http://www.hasbro.com/common/instruct/Shogun.PDF

Just so you guys know, you can also find the rules for Samurai Swords at hasbro: http://www.hasbro.com/common/instruct/SamuraiSwords.PDF

In this case it makes no difference because that particular rule is common to both versions, but overall you're better off looking at the Samurai Swords rules which addressed some problems and had some clarifications. I summarized the differences between the two rule sets here: Re:Differences between Shogun and Samurai Swords?.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
This user is outstanding in mediocre videogaming
badge
Did you visit my www.kobudovenlo.nl? It has game info
mbmbmbmbmb
nils1973nl wrote:

Losing a daimyo (by ninja attack) means he's replaced by a family member. Son, cousin. I thought that was explicitly in the rules.

Thinking along those lines I thought regaining a lost daimyo (after player elimination) means either one of your former daimyos rejoins your side or one of the defeated daimyos of the defeated player switches sides and joins your cause, since you've proven to be a potent warrior and probably on your way to become Shogun. No zombies involved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nils 1973
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Hi Kael,

Yes I remember that the replacing of Daiymo's (in the case of ninja-related death ninja) was explained by bringing in a family member who tells the troops "don't worry men, I'll be your new leader".

But when you get armies back by finishing of another player, it is possible that is ages ago that your own lost Daiymo's perished. Than those new Daiymo's and there flagbearers arise from thin air.
Understand that I like this rule very much, because it gives some perspective when you lose one or two armies ("maybe, one day, I finish someone off, and than, and than... ...I'll make them all pay. PAY I SAY!!! DEARLY!!!).

But still, those new Daiymo's arise a bit from nothing. But who will ever have a fully understanding of the mysteries of the east. And that is explanation enough for me, but a mystery it is..

(But indeed, there probably won't be any zombies involved! Lol)

PS the new Daiymo's won't be the ones I just before defeated, because the new Daiymo's all have a head on their shoulders

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Kenny Dorham || Trompeta Toccata || Whistle Stop || Una Mas
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
_Kael_ wrote:
Losing a daimyo (by ninja attack) means he's replaced by a family member. Son, cousin. I thought that was explicitly in the rules.

The rules are explicit in that you can replace the daimyo in the following turn, but only if at least one unit of the assassinated daimyo's army survives until the following round. (see page 17, column 3 of the Samurai Swords rules). This was a significant change from the earlier Shogun rules which I discussed in the comparison thread I linked in my previous post; in Shogun you could always replace a daimyo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nils1973nl wrote:
But still, those new Daiymo's arise a bit from nothing. But who will ever have a fully understanding of the mysteries of the east. And that is explanation enough for me, but a mystery it is..

With your defeat of the final Daiymo, the clan contending for the role of Shogun (the defeated player) is subsequently wiped out (and possibly the clans of their defeated Daiymo's). This leaves behind all the lesser clans and families within the provinces they once controlled that now become yours, and it's from these that the new Daiymo's spring up having sworn allegiance to you. The limit of three Daiymo's though is a game balancing rule.

This is nice and historical, but unfortunately the scope of the game doesn't also include the risks of having major clans switch sides on you too, though I guess in way a bad run of dice rolls could represent minor clans turning on you or abandoning you on the battle field. The situation is very similar to the Thirty Years' War in that sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nils 1973
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Hey Jeff,

That is a very plausible explanation of the situation we spoke of. Sounds like you know pretty much about that period btw, thanks for sharing that!

Nils

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.