18 Posts

Scythe» Forums » Variants

Subject: Encounter Card Flavor Text rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam
United States
flag msg tools
I'd say my favorite aspect of the game is the beautifully imagined encounter deck. Despite this, I can't help but wish the mechanics behind it were a bit closer to Above and Below encounters. I just find it a bit awkward and immersion breaking that I have to flash my card around the table for others to share in the experience. Also, when making an 'encounter' decision, I would much prefer not knowing the exact outcome of my choice.

I'm hoping to get a bit of feedback on an idea, as to whether or not this would be realistic/possible to create some sort of file and print&play, as I have no experience with either..

I would love to see an encounter deck with only the brilliant artwork and its associated reference number, no text. After drawing an encounter card, the player reads aloud the reference number.

Another player at the table then opens an encounter book (ala Above and Below), and turns to a page with the associated reference number and a one-line opener for each card such as 'You spot a man across the field with a smoking mech towering over him'. He/she then reads aloud the three options without reading the associated outcomes.

After the encountering player chooses an option, the player with the encounter book reads the outcome. If the encountering player is unable to meet the criteria for the outcome (not enough money/resources, etc.) then the player can select another option.

For me at least, this type of encounter scenario would add to the game in two ways:

1. Encounters are now shared experiences with at least one other player at the table.

2. Encounters would come with a sense of unknown consequences, at least the first few times cycling through the deck.

Of course if a Scythe vet is playing with a new player, he/she may need to read the outcomes along with the options to ensure a level playing field if the vet already has all the outcomes memorized.

Additionally, some players may prefer the 'perfect information' of knowing the outcomes before making the decision. Personal preference..

If I were to make this a reality, I would likely just want to somehow print a deck of encounter cards with only the artwork and reference number, no text. Then for the encounter book, I would simply print pages with made-up one-liners to describe the artwork, leaving a space under each for card sleeves/pockets. I could then just place the original encounter cards into the pockets, to be read or removed as I please.

Thoughts anyone?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Encounter Deck
Interesting idea Adam. I played Above and Below last weekend with my twin daughters, and played Dead of Winter: The Long Night (newest version of DoW) last Monday with my game group. I do enjoy the encounters from exploring in Above and Below, as well as the Crossroads cards from DoW.

Those mechanics are core elements of those games.

The only thing I would think that would hurt those same elements in Scythe, is that it would add a bit of time to the game and break up the flow of relatively quick turns. I think that some people don't even want to look at the art on the encounter cards because it would slow things down too much for them.

I like the idea, though it may be more suited to specific groups that really dig those elements from the other games and are willing to allow for the extra time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Inno Van
United States
San Francisco/East Bay
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Obviously you could just have another player draw the encounter card, read out loud the bold text, and leave the consequences unknown. But getting 4 timber isn't always useful, and all scripted games give an advantage to whoever is familiar with the script already.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Hamrick
United States
Rocky Mount
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some like it hot, some don't. For me, I like the Encounters exactly like they are. I don't care for the 'luck' of choosing something blindly, nor would I like slowing the pace of the game every time an Encounter occurs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lines J. Hutter
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Technically the easiest way to do this would be:
Sleeve the Encounter cards. With sleeves you can keep the original image uncovered and you can stick a piece of paper in front of the bottom part of the cards. On these papers print the textbox with your own text.
You can do this in a way that you almost don't see the transition between original and paste-up.

3 options to go for what to print in the textbox:

A, Print card number only. A different player reads out title, choices and (after your decision) the results.

B, Print your card title with all choices, but not the results. Another player reads the results after your decision. Also works for solo play.

C, Mostly for solo play: divide the text box in 2 boxes, a larger left box, a smaller right box. When drawing a card, cover the right box with your hand (or thumb if you're right handed). Left part has title + choices. Right box is revealed once you made your choice and contains the results.

When you have a list with nice titles for the cards, please post it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
flag msg tools
Sounds like the majority aren't interested, but here's where I'm at so far with the flavor text/one-liners (a few are two-liners). Editing and feedback please, for I am the furthest thing from a creative writer.. Or any type of writer for that matter.

Jamey if you happen to read this, any chance of sharing the encounter card image files? I certainly have no interest (or talent) in making money off them, just hoping to put together an encounter book for my own group!

Encounter Card Flavor Text

1. A group of geese march across the path in front of you toward a cheerful little girl across the way.

2. While traveling along the snowy mountainside, you cross paths with an old traveler, burdened by a bundle of sticks upon his back. Your commanding officer orders you to continue onward.

3. You stumble across a local farmer herding his flock of sheep down to pasture when their movement is suddenly halted by a formation of mechs down below.

4. While trekking across the barren countryside, you come across a group of soldiers cheering from atop a fallen mech. They gesture for you to approach.

5. As the sun lowers toward the horizon, you notice a group of soldiers settling into their lakeside camp.

6. You spot a group of bears wrestling playfully in an open meadow.

7. As you approach your campsite after a long day of travel, you witness a sulking group of men sitting ‘round a small campfire.

8. Just outside the local refinery, one of your Soldiers strikes up a conversation with a mother and daughter about their family pet.

9. As you enter the large tunnel, you notice a man with a clipboard surveying his giant contraption.

10. As you finally crest the mountaintop, you catch glimpse of a wandering mech and its lost owner through the dense fog below.

11. While passing through the forest, you spot a young woman with outreached arms, desperately stretching for a branch of fresh fruit.

12. Along your travels, the route clears to an area of fallen trees just outside a small village. A group of lumberjacks vigorously chop and saw at the massive trunks.

13. In the distance you hear faint music and merriment of the annual harvest festival outside a nearby town. You decide to join in the celebrations.

14. As you pass through a small village, you notice a local farmer frantically corralling his pigs through a gap in his fence as they scatter wildly. He shouts for help toward a mech in a nearby field with seemingly no result.

15. While stopping for a brief rest near a gypsy camp along the docks, you gaze at the colossal steamboat as the crew maneuvers it into port.

16. Your morning march brings you to a small family tilling their fields by hand.

17. Isolated in thick forest, you stumble across a tiny log cabin in the shadow of a rusty mech. A grizzled old man in faded uniform emerges from the hut.

18. You spot a pack of wild boars charging toward a nearby village. A few nervous farmers stand along the outskirt of the town, training their pitchforks and rakes on the approaching beasts.

19. After hours of traveling along the wood line, you cross paths with a local trader and her trailing herd of cattle. A group of soldiers stare suspiciously as they pass you by.

20. You witness a group of young children sparring playfully under a giant shade tree.

21. A young farmer shouts desperately to you from a field across the way, as you witness a security mech going berserk on her grazing cattle.

22. While wading through the smog of a nearby industrial complex, you notice a factory worker signaling for you to approach.

23. Along your route you overhear a couple pleading desperately to a local official on horseback. You approach to investigate.

24. While passing through a wooded area, a formation of patrolling soldiers and their accompanying mech startle you.

25. After an hour of failed attempts to relocate the main road, you stumble across a massive cliffside opening. You cautiously approach the cave as a small group of men in white coats emerge from the shadows.

26. You step into the local tavern to escape the blistering cold.

27. You spot a trail of smoke billowing from a mech in the distance, and notice a man at its base waving in your direction.

28. While passing by a small wooden cabin, you witness a young soldier embracing his family as they exchange goodbyes.

29. You pass a group of soldiers on a brief rest halt between marches.

32. You have planned a meeting with the local leadership of a nearby town, but a delay in your travels has left you with less time than you had originally hoped for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Adam! These are very creative. Can you tell me a little more about the encounter book?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
flag msg tools
Thanks Jamey! Of course no knock intended on how the encounter deck works as-is, but I'm thinking about putting together a few pages, allowing the encountering player to simply say aloud the encounter number without seeing the card text, while another player then looks up and reads the associated text and options without spoiling the exact consequences.

After the encountering player makes his/her decision, the outcome/consequence would be read aloud. If the cost is too high, the player selects another option.

I kind of like, and may steal, the idea above, suggesting that the encountering player simply slip the drawn encounter card into a sleeve with the text box portion covered, so the encountering player only sees the artwork and ref# without having to worry about seeing the outcomes below.

I would use the files simply to allow the player reading the options to have the same visual on the artwork as the player with the encounter card without having to pass the card back and forth. I suppose I could just snap photos of each card and upload, but game files seem a bit less messy.. I could also just leave the book image-free, but I like the idea of both the player reading and the player making the decision having their own visual of whats going on through the artwork.

As stated in my OP, my reasoning would simply be to make the encounters a shared experience without flashing the cards around the table, as well as adding a layer of unknown to the encounter mechanic. Sounds like the sentiment isn't widespread in the forums, which is perfectly fine, and the game certainly doesn't NEED it, but I quite like the idea of it

Anyway, thanks for responding! And if you have any flavor text tucked away anywhere from previous iterations of the game, I'd love to see what you or others came up with!

Thanks for your relentless dedication to your profession, and double thanks for sending me a replacement Viticulture meeple a while back no-questions-asked (mine came with one extra Grande worker and one fewer regular worker).

You rock!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for detailing this, Adam. I can let you give it a try. We actually played around with making the back of each encounter card show the art (just the art), but Jakub preferred a more traditional card back.

Please contact me at stonemaiergames@gmail.com so I can share the card file with you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
flag msg tools
Definitely agree with the final decision to give all the encounter cards the same back. At least for me, wouldn't want to see the next encounter before drawing it; that would spoil the surprise!

I suppose artwork backs could work if one card covered the deck, and players drew from the bottom, but I like the direction yall went with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, I mentioned this in my e-mail to you, but this file might be conducive for the experience you're aiming for: https://app.box.com/s/syufntftr0ev68dyjn75vszuw14vxu91
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
flag msg tools
Awesome, I'll be sure to send you a read-ahead before putting it into play with the group
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Inno Van
United States
San Francisco/East Bay
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you stacked the deck of Encounter Cards in numerical order, wouldn't that act as an encounter book, already indexed to your text by the card numbers?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
flag msg tools
A second deck could essentially serve the same purpose, yes. However I was thinking that having the one-liners and their associated cards already printed on a single page might flow a bit easier than a rolodex.

I could be wrong, but I'll give it a shot and let you know how it turns out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Kristiansen
Denmark
Kongens Lyngby
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't like it. I would never spend two points of popularity unless I knew that I was getting just what I needed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Booth
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
30. You come across a farmer herding sheep with a mech. Before you know it your animal companion has entered the pen and is making the farmer visibly nervous as it walks among his flock.

31. You see a skirmish erupt across a meadow. The locals look to you to see if you will get involved.

33. While investigating a pair of strange mechs you encounter a foreign warrior demonstrating his skills for the locals.

34. A group of miners ask you for directions to the town on the other side of the mountain.

35. You hear a squabble at a nearby farm and find the owner in a rage over her missing livestock.

36. The locals are nervous when two war mechs show up at their refinery and no one can speak the pilots' language.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Roe
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I also really like this idea. We played a bit of Above and Below before getting into Scythe. I'd go further - I like idea of having some slight clue of what the outcomes would be but not complete knowlege. Often the flavour text of the scenario and the options gives you some idea of the likely outcome - theat you might be getting food/oil, whatever. I think the player has to know the cost - since they must be able to pay an option with a cost - cash, popularity or whatever. I think I'll have a go at expanding this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
flag msg tools
Check the downloads. I put together a book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.