6 Posts

Operational Combat Series» Forums » General

Subject: OCS Confessions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
flag msg tools
mb
I'm curious to know how you handle these aspects of OCS. They're mainly mechanical and seem to have little effect on play, but they can be time wasters when repeated over and over again.

How do you deal with the following?

1. Dead Pools. Particularly in large games, some at-start Dead Pools are quite large. Do you actually pull all of the counters and keep them off map, ready to be rebuilt? Or do you use some other method for tracking what you rebuild from these lists?

2. Pulling counters. When the OB calls for 12-2-2 (123) in hex XYZ, do you pull the exact unit, hunting for the 123 ID in your pile of 12-2-2s, or do you pull any 12-2-2?

3. Formation counters. Do you use these as intended -- to keep units under the formation off map? I keep the formation markers on the side, not on the map, to track fueling status, but I keep the component units on map at all times. I find that keeping the formation's component units off map results in too much back-and-forth between the on-map formation counter and the off-map units. I also find that I rarely stack these formations anyway, or that they don't stack for long, to justify the extra effort. And formation markers don't hide anything, really, as they might in other games.

So, what do you do?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Tam
United States
Belmont
California
flag msg tools
Follow the Map!
badge
These organisms are cleaning out an eye socket infection
mbmbmbmbmb
Arcology wrote:
I'm curious to know how you handle these aspects of OCS. They're mainly mechanical and seem to have little effect on play, but they can be time wasters when repeated over and over again.

1. Dead Pools. Particularly in large games, some at-start Dead Pools are quite large. Do you actually pull all of the counters and keep them off map, ready to be rebuilt? Or do you use some other method for tracking what you rebuild from these lists?

2. Pulling counters. When the OB calls for 12-2-2 (123) in hex XYZ, do you pull the exact unit, hunting for the 123 ID in your pile of 12-2-2s, or do you pull any 12-2-2?

3. Formation counters. Do you use these as intended -- to keep units under the formation off map? I keep the formation markers on the side, not on the map, to track fueling status, but I keep the component units on map at all times. I find that keeping the formation's component units off map results in too much back-and-forth between the on-map formation counter and the off-map units. I also find that I rarely stack these formations anyway, or that they don't stack for long, to justify the extra effort. And formation markers don't hide anything, really, as they might in other games.

So, what do you do?

1) just a pile of units

2) exact because adjacent units are usually adjacent on the counter sheet itself

3) I just keep the formation chit nearby to indicated fueled or not fueled.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tankboy
United States
Haslet
Texas
flag msg tools
Does your mother know your doing that?
mbmbmbmbmb
Arcology wrote:

So, what do you do?

1: DEAD POOLS: Pulled and separated into Rows (Armor, Mech. and Infantry)

2: PULLING COUNTERS: Exact units are pulled and placed

3: FORMATION COUNTERS: Just used for Fueled status. I have never been able to keep a whole Division contained in one stack beyond the first turn

Yup, OCS allows my OCD to shine throughdevil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Lott
United States
FPO
US Armed Forces - Pacific
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me because I'm OCD

1. I pull all the counters and keep them off map on printed out Dead Pool boxes.

2. I do exact units

3. I rarely use the formation counters, maybe I should start because the stacks make me crazy when playing the bigger OCS games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Confession: I don't always pull the exact unit. I'll pull any 20-4-3, for example, as long the unit values are identical. It also depends on the game and the type of unit. I tend to do this more for the larger, Eastern Front games (GBII, CB), but I didn't do so for BTR, which had lower counter densities. Digging through a compartment of what must be like 100 11-1-1s to find the right division is just mind numbing. The downside to this is that it makes withdrawals and unit upgrades (ie, Guards promotions) less exact, if you like that kind of thing, exactness. I always pull exact formation units, though.

Regarding Dead Pools, I also pull all of the units, putting them off map, keeping similar units in similar, anal retentive stacks and neat little rows, and then add the units killed in game to that pile. I figure that there has to be an easier way, like making a hard copy of the at-start list, crossing out or otherwise keeping a tally of units rebuilt from the Dead Pool, and keeping a separate dead pile for units killed during the course of the game. As I write that, I'm not sure that's easier, either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
武士に二言無し
Italy
Caravaggio near Bergamo near Milano
Europe + Earth + Via Lactea
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Usually, 90% of cases, when I play largest games I'm not alone so:

1. All dead units are on a nearby table, waiting to be rebuild ... rarely;
2. The "War" here is beteween purists and pratical people, but usually we have all counters prepared in id number order and/or by reinforcements time, so the research is, usually, brief;
3. When I started playing OCS, I hated them, but going forward in years I discovered that, sometime, they are useful to deceive, a sort of FOW, the opponent/s ... and the work behind this is not so hard or complicated.
I think is the only method to achieve a "tactical surprise" in a game where surprises are rare or near inexistent.

F.

P.s.: The real problem here is not the time wasted, immo, but the lack of OCS players, old and new.
When you've a team to play with and there's real interest, time is the last, farther, obstacle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.