5 Posts

Star Trek Panic» Forums » General

Subject: Replayability? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Austin
Canada
flag msg tools
I like this theme, but concerned about Replayability. Anyone played this more than once? Seems there is very limited set of mission cards. And how difficult is it to win? After you beat the game, what incentive is there to try it again?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played three times. The combinations are the characters, the missions, and the enemy/event draws. Plenty of replayability.

The issue that we ran in to was the utter pointlessness of some situations. Some of the missions require cards that we never drew. Maybe it would have worked better with more than two players, but we just set the game aside. At some point, when my wife has more time to game again, I will modify the game to make it better for us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Teti
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I guess it's a matter of personal taste. The game is definitely re-playable. The fact that the missions and combination of Threats that pop up, you will never know what cards you can use to deal with threats or commit them towards the missions.

The game's difficulty depend on what threats you need to deal with as well as the constant onslaught you will deal with from threats. Repairing the ship. Those cards are necessary for some missions. Sure there are some missions you might not have cards or other things that you need. There was one game We had the one where we needed a particular ship to transports something on board. That threat token never showed up. I don't recall if it was a romulan ship or Klingon but we had to be next to it to transport something in order to win the missions. The token never showed up so we didn't finish the mission. There's no penalty for not completing the missions but it does make the game longer especially when dealing with threats. Unlike Castle panic, you put all the tokens back in the bag once the bag is empty.

That said. I've played several games and it was different every time. A couple of times we got annihilated right off the bat with the Doomsday Machine mission. We didn't have cards to commit to the mission. The Doomsday machine deals 2 damage every move and fire phase. That couple with threat tokens firing as well after a few rounds the ship got destroyed.

Bottom line is, the missions cards will be random some more difficult than others so game won't be the same every time. Even though sometimes we get the same mission, It's definitely different depending on what's out there with threats as well as the different character cards you get. I'd say yes, Definitely re-playable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Inguanzo
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very replayable. Most of the missions change the rules, and there are enough of them that you're unlikely to get the same combination twice. Yes, some missions can't be done if you lack cards or maneuverability, but I think that was done deliberately. I think they wanted a Panic game variant that was more like the hard-to-win co-op games, like Ghost Story or Pandemic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Inguanzo
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
martimer wrote:
... I will modify the game to make it better for us.

For a simpler game use the Castle Panic rules. Survive until you've gone through the entire bag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.