James R. Gracen
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sherlock Holmes & The Baby was originally a fan-made case for the 1981 Sleuth Publications version of Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective. It was printed as an 8-page supplement insert in the middle of a magazine, Different Worlds issue #44 from 1986. The company sells back issues through their website here.

About two months ago I ordered a copy. Then, realizing I hadn't received it in the mail yet, I did some sleuthing. Turns out they had refunded my Paypal transaction. I ordered it again about a week ago, as it was not listed as being out of stock on the website. Again I received a refund, this time with a note:

Diffworlds.com wrote:
Greetings from San Francisco! I am sorry but DW#44 is sold out. Happy gaming!

Does anyone have a link to where I can find the Sherlock Holmes & the Baby 8-page insert that came with that issue?

Someone mentioned in a different thread the existence of a PDF copy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Held
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
This shark, swallow you whole.
badge
I'll catch this bird for you, but it ain't gonna be easy. Bad fish.
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James R. Gracen
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Lol, nice!

Not *exactly* what I was looking for though...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Saari
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also looking for this. Can someone upload a PDF?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Johnson
United States
Seguin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Look thru the BGG site on Sherlock, I found it here once but forgot where.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James R. Gracen
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Don Johnson wrote:
Look thru the BGG site on Sherlock, I found it here once but forgot where.

It must have been taken down, or else I am a much worse detective than Sherlock is. On the Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective: The Thames Murders & Other Cases BGG page, it's not in the Files section or the Images section. I did a search for "baby" in the Forums, without luck.

And the Sherlock Holmes & The Baby page is pretty barren. I originally posted my query asking where to find this case in the Forums there, but I doubt it got seen by anyone.

I *did* finally procure a copy of the case through, ahem, other means...

So I guess I eventually solved the case, but with a score of like -50, due to all the extra locations I had to visit...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C
United States
Clifton Park
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can we please not discuss sharing scans like this in a public forum?

You and I all know it is out of print and the back issues have run out, but copyright isn't affected by those facts, and our (nonexistent) membership fees aren't enough to cover the cost of BGG dealing with legal issues from infringement accusations from any of the really-wish-I-could-get-a-copy-of-rare-out-of-print games/expansions.

I want BGG to continue, and I want SHCD cases to keep being published!

"In solving a problem of this sort, the grand thing is to be able to reason backward." - S.H.

I tried to reason backwards and decided to get the permissions necessary to share it. I already have contingent permission from the publisher to do so. Now I'm hot on the trail of the original (surviving) author.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Watry
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
kaosconman wrote:
Can we please not discuss sharing scans like this in a public forum?

You and I all know it is out of print and the back issues have run out, but copyright isn't affected by those facts, and our (nonexistent) membership fees aren't enough to cover the cost of BGG dealing with legal issues from infringement accusations from any of the really-wish-I-could-get-a-copy-of-rare-out-of-print games/expansions.

I want BGG to continue, and I want SHCD cases to keep being published!

"In solving a problem of this sort, the grand thing is to be able to reason backward." - S.H.

I tried to reason backwards and decided to get the permissions necessary to share it. I already have contingent permission from the publisher to do so. Now I'm hot on the trail of the original (surviving) author.

Not a problem. I'll remove my post and the offer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gretchen Fontenay
United States
Apison
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had the same experience of thinking I had bought it and then having my paypal refunded. I wish they would update the website!

I *just* managed to find a copy on ABE books and as soon as I have read (and played) it, I'm going to re-release it into the wild where it can make someone else very very happy!

*Note- I am not infringing on any copy right- I plan to re-sell the physical magazine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.