$30.00
Tony
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
May the Force be with you.
badge
Good and evil; there never is one without the other.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not quite sure I get the "better angels" add on. Can someone (would love to have the designers chime in) give us a better idea how it works? Will it be different each time you play it, or will it generally be the same since it is always the same two characters?

What do other backers think about the "better angels" add on, and why (getting it, not getting it, unsure)?

Looks like "days gone bye" basically adds another scenario... is that correct? I know it adds a figure, some tiles, and some cards... but ultimately all that is useful only in this scenario or is it generally usable in the game? Seems this one has more replayability given you can play with up to 4 characters, correct?

What do other backers think about the "days gone bye" add on, and why (getting it, not getting it, unsure)?

Finally, a general question is can the tiles in these add-ons (1 in better angles, 4 in days gone by) be used with the base game, or are they only usable in their respective scenarios? Not quite sure I understand the role of tiles in the game.

Thanks!

p.s., And, thanks for adding the dice as an add-on... definitely getting another set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I asked part of your question in the comments:

Cryptozoic said:

Quote:
@Greg about the tiles, scenarios will call for specific tiles but there is cross-tile use too. In the expansion, for example, some scenarios will call for base game ones. The great thing about tiles are that for the most part they can be used interchangeably, altering areas for searching and line of site. Expect support from us and many backer homebrew scenarios that combine them together in different variations. Some tiles may be unique to the scenario but remember the tiles are double sided for us to keep in mind the versatility of them for you all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You may call me
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tiles in this game are a little disappointing at this point. They are too abstract and meaningless. This game could almost be played with decks of cards like Mistfall. Just not what I see when I look at all those minis and tiles though. Still need to figure out if I can get over that because the rest of the mechanics looks great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benji
Switzerland
Gurmels
FR
flag msg tools
visit us on www.muwins.ch
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that from the tiles we have seen (which are not many!), it looks like they add mostly cosmetic touches. On the other hand, nothing stops users from coming up with simple and easy to define terrain features that have more gameplay impact for their own user-created scenarios (of which i am sure there will be a ton). For instance:

- cliffs: zombies can't cross, if there are more than X on the same space, Y of them fall...

- forests: movement is reduced, zombies that appear in a forest appear one space closer to the closest character.

- streets: movement +1 if complete move on street. Distance to all zombies -1 because of increased visibility.

Stuff like that...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brady Sadler
United States
Noblesville
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Logus Vile wrote:
Tiles in this game are a little disappointing at this point. They are too abstract and meaningless. This game could almost be played with decks of cards like Mistfall. Just not what I see when I look at all those minis and tiles though. Still need to figure out if I can get over that because the rest of the mechanics looks great.

The tiles in No Sanctuary were designed to be mainly aesthetic and slightly abstract, because this game isn't a highly tactical combat game that relied on a variety of terrain effects to keep the action interesting. At the same time, the different configurations of tiles is necessary to build the variety of map layouts for scenarios. So the variety of tiles is important to both theme and building the various maps representing the iconic locations.

An earlier iteration of the game featured more terrain effects, but in reality it distracted from the core experience and these were either cut altogether or added into scenario special rules. The end result was a much tighter game with less cross-referencing minor environmental effects that did little to enrich the experience.

Fortunately, the game design is modular enough to completely integrate terrain effects as they are needed. They just weren't necessary to be integral to the core design. This means you can expect to see rules expanding on these things in the future from both an official capacity and the inevitable custom scenarios by the community

I think when people get their hands on the game and get the core experience, they will understand why we made these design choices.

Hope that's somewhat helpful!

-Brady
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brady Sadler
United States
Noblesville
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Benji68 wrote:
I agree that from the tiles we have seen (which are not many!), it looks like they add mostly cosmetic touches. On the other hand, nothing stops users from coming up with simple and easy to define terrain features that have more gameplay impact for their own user-created scenarios (of which i am sure there will be a ton). For instance:

- cliffs: zombies can't cross, if there are more than X on the same space, Y of them fall...

- forests: movement is reduced, zombies that appear in a forest appear one space closer to the closest character.

- streets: movement +1 if complete move on street. Distance to all zombies -1 because of increased visibility.

Stuff like that...

Because of the importance balancing action economy in the game, and to compensate for each survivor having a diverse deck of cards unique to them, these types of effects come into play through more interesting means than the map. For example, a survivor like Glenn can help his buddies move around the map. But that combined with potential terrain effects that expedite movement makes it much harder to reign in the balance.

Altogether, we just weren't seeing the benefit of terrain effects at a core level. But again, these things are great to integrate into specific scenarios, as it doesn't bog down the core rulebook with too many unneeded exceptions.

And like you said, it leaves a ton of design frontier for future content (from both CZE and the fan community)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Himura Kensou
msg tools
I think CZE mentioned somewhere that what makes the tiles different beyond the aesthetics is that some have buildings or searchable areas the block line of site. Also, searchable areas are places to not only search for cards, but are places you can barricade to prevent walkers to go in. So switching up a tile, at least the way I see it, might change gameplay especially from an open open field to a place with 3 searchable areas. @Adam or Brady.... am I right in hearing that searchable areas can be shot out of but not inwards for line of site or ranged attacks? If so, this also adds variation to gameplay with tiles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brady Sadler
United States
Noblesville
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
himurakensou8 wrote:
I think CZE mentioned somewhere that what makes the tiles different beyond the aesthetics is that some have buildings or searchable areas the block line of site. Also, searchable areas are places to not only search for cards, but are places you can barricade to prevent walkers to go in. So switching up a tile, at least the way I see it, might change gameplay especially from an open open field to a place with 3 searchable areas. @Adam or Brady.... am I right in hearing that searchable areas can be shot out of but not inwards for line of site or ranged attacks? If so, this also adds variation to gameplay with tiles.

Yep

Besides the basic tactical advantage to being in a building (you can see out but other figures can't see in), there are also many game effects that make it beneficial to be indoors vs. outside.

There's tons of design space here to further expand positioning on the tiles

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy
England
Chorleywood
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Do any of the tiles represent a city our street scape. How do, as it we'll add move variety, even if it's just for theme

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.