Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Infi
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
It seems like relatively few owners of Dice City have "ATG" based on BGG stats. ATG has very few components compared to the base game, yet it's priced at 50% of Dice City. I watched a couple video reviews and I think I'm not very keen on gold being removed from game after use. For those who have the expansion, does it add a lot of fun and value in the gameplay to justify the relatively high cost for what you get?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Peach
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I got the expansion from MM for pretty cheap and I LOVE the variety it added to the game. I loved the new "win mechanic". Overall I rate Dice City VERY fun, but the expansion is sooooooo easy to just integrate in from the get go for new players and enjoy the added new buildings, which the base set needed.

Also I thought the gold thing would be annoying.... it isn't. It feels really good given how powerful the gold cards become and how hard it is to get.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Corrigan
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A worthy addition to a fine game. This city builder has many facets already but this wee expansion adds just the proper amount of variety to an already fun and interesting game without sinking it in needless complexity (an expansion fallacy that us silly gamers will often fall into.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Harris
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Even though the gold is only used once I think it unlikely that you'll get to use all the available gold in a single game.

I agree that the expansion is good because it adds quite a bit of replay value as you can try to leverage the power of the gold-enabled buildings.

That's not to say I wouldn't rather have paid less than 50% of the base game price!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Aldridge
United States
Terre Haute
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First, there are cards included that don't have to use Gold to play, and for me having extra diversity to my card set is always a good thing.

Gold, as a mechanic, is interesting. Because it's removed from the game, it makes for a risky strategy, but with significant payoffs if you're able to make it work.

When I look at whether expanding the game is worth it, I wonder about whether it affects the fun. For me, ATG adds another strategy path to a game that already has several I haven't worn out, and so while I use the extra cards I don't often add Gold. On the other hand, it doesn't add any significant complication to the game and integrates well, so if you're looking to add a little kick to the game this would be good.

I'm waiting to see what Crossroads holds...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.