$20.00
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not what I would have expected:

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/07/29/487906925/...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
"32 inches of Plexi....for your pleasure"
mbmbmbmb
Weirdly, the study shows numbers between 2005 to 2014. Uber didn't even get into mainstream metro areas until 2014. Shoot, they were still running underground into 2014. What a terrible study.

So they proved that Uber didn't fix a situation before they even existed. Thumbs up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grand Admiral Thrawn
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I never even heard of Uber until last year. I just used it four times recently and it's pretty cool. One driver was staring at his GPS in his lap which was scary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
non sequitur
United States
Elk Point
South Dakota (SD)
flag msg tools
Mandelbrot/Simurgh hybrid etc etc
badge
I made both of these fractals, hurray!
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
Weirdly, the study shows numbers between 2005 to 2014. Uber didn't even get into mainstream metro areas until 2014. Shoot, they were still running underground into 2014. What a terrible study.

So they proved that Uber didn't fix a situation before they even existed. Thumbs up!

Go get data for 2015-2016.

I'll wait!

(A nine year span in traffic research is pretty great. 2 years ago is also great. It's hard data to obtain.)

Anyway, this isn't a journal I'm familiar w/, but for a lot of journals you'll wait for months to go through peer review and then wait for them to fit you into an issue that fits, that sort of thing.

By the way, when you find that data, send it to me so I can analyze it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
Shaman
mbmbmb
Leaving aside the dates question, do we have any info on rural vs. urban and drunk driving deaths?

Uber/Lyft aren't universally available, and if there are more cases in places they don't serve, that would have an impact.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Uber has also not been shown to have an effect on people booting in my back seat. Thank all that is holy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

If and when a better study is performed, I would be surprised if Uber has any effect on drunk driving. Uber is just a taxi service and we already have taxis. Who claims that Uber would benefit the number of incidents of drunk driving, Uber?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
isaacc wrote:

If and when a better study is performed, I would be surprised if Uber has any effect on drunk driving. Uber is just a taxi service and we already have taxis. Who claims that Uber would benefit the number of incidents of drunk driving, Uber?
Yes

https://newsroom.uber.com/us-illinois/dui-rates-decline-in-u...

And others using the same data as the OP

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/08/06/uber-actual...

It seems like the OP's article may be in response to these claims.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
isaacc wrote:

I can tell you that there are people who have told me they plan ahead better than they used to because Uber costs one-half to one-third of a taxi, is much more convenient and prompt, and that makes them more apt to just budget it into their evening. They take it on their way out for the night rather than driving and then trying to make the right choice about how to get home after they've already had a good time. It's a story I've heard repeatedly. So if it makes it more attractive at the beginning of the evening, it's going to have an effect. I would be surprised if Uber hasn't had an effect because it's basically a taxi service, but one that is much more readily available and convenient.

And with this story, I just completed my anecdote punchcard and get a free soft drink with my next post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
"32 inches of Plexi....for your pleasure"
mbmbmbmb
isaacc wrote:

Well, in Austin, the cabby service is really shitty. When we still had Uber and Lyft, at 2am in the morning call a cab, get...er, nothing. Call an Uber, there in 2 clicks of your heal.

Of course they showed that when Uber/Lyft in Austin in 2014/2015 when it was most prevalent, there was a 16% decrease in DUI arrests in the city. However since it was just one year, it is hard to determine if it was causation or correlation. We will never really know since the city ran them out of town.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
isaacc wrote:

Well, in Austin, the cabby service is really shitty. When we still had Uber and Lyft, at 2am in the morning call a cab, get...er, nothing. Call an Uber, there in 2 clicks of your heal.

Of course they showed that when Uber/Lyft in Austin in 2014/2015 when it was most prevalent, there was a 16% decrease in DUI arrests in the city. However since it was just one year, it is hard to determine if it was causation or correlation. We will never really know since the city ran them out of town.
Have DUI's gone up?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walking on eggshells is not my style
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
Ok. Here's the deal. Based on 15 years experience of cab driving.

People who are inclined to drink and drive are going to drink and drive. They simply don't care.

You could pay for their cab ride home. They will get in the cab, make a big scene waving goodbye, thanking you for paying for their cab, then when the cab gets around the corner, they will have the driver stop, they will get out and sneak back to get their car.

Edit: here's one I've seen a million times.

Cops will sometimes hang around across the street from a bar at closing time. When they do the lot will be packed with people standing around milling, mingling, and talking. There will be a dozen cabs in the parking lot waiting for riders, but there are no takers. When the cops leave everyone gets in their car and drives away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:

Uber was basically non-existent prior to 2015, and since 2016 ain't over yet (at least in the Real World(tm)) it would be hard to show those numbers either.

Please do try to keep up...this isn't difficult.

Ferret

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
einsteinidahosu wrote:
I never even heard of Uber until last year. I just used it four times recently and it's pretty cool. One driver was staring at his GPS in his lap which was scary.

I hadn't heard of it either, but I like the idea. And anything that gives fits to the taxi unions is pretty much automatically a win.

Ferret

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
windsagio wrote:
Leaving aside the dates question, do we have any info on rural vs. urban and drunk driving deaths?

Uber/Lyft aren't universally available, and if there are more cases in places they don't serve, that would have an impact.

Good point.

Ferret

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

slatersteven wrote:

The OP's article was purely an interesting one I spotted on NPR.

Is Uber available in Britain yet?

Ferret

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything.
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
isaacc wrote:

How are all those replacement services coming along now that the city kicked Uber and Lyft out of Austin?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything.
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
MWChapel wrote:
isaacc wrote:

Have DUI's gone up?

Looks like they have "spiked", at least according to this source: http://keyetv.com/news/local/dwi-arrests-spike-after-uberlyf...

but really they are just up 7.5%, which isn't big of a deal and could easily just be random variations, not to mention Austin's population is growing like mad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
Ok. Here's the deal. Based on 15 years experience of cab driving.

People who are inclined to drink and drive are going to drink and drive. They simply don't care.

You could pay for their cab ride home. They will get in the cab, make a big scene waving goodbye, thanking you for paying for their cab, then when the cab gets around the corner, they will have the driver stop, they will get out and sneak back to get their car.

Edit: here's one I've seen a million times.

Cops will sometimes hang around across the street from a bar at closing time. When they do the lot will be packed with people standing around milling, mingling, and talking. There will be a dozen cabs in the parking lot waiting for riders, but there are no takers. When the cops leave everyone gets in their car and drives away.
That has been my experience, even when people have money for cabs they still drink drive. I have even heard "I drive better drunk" as an excuse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ferretman wrote:

slatersteven wrote:

Ferret
Not down here that I am aware of, but I believe in London.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dearlove
United Kingdom
Isleworth
Middx
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
Ferretman wrote:

slatersteven wrote:

Ferret
Not down here that I am aware of, but I believe in London.

A few UK cities. All of Greater London
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lone Locust of the Apocalypse
United States
Sandworms USA
Plateau of Leng
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I used Uber several times in London last Christmas.

Kinda silly really when we all had Oyster cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Edwards
United Kingdom
London
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Effective public transportation in London ends about 12:30am'ish and getting a car becomes important. I've had some night bus experiences that make for good stories but were pretty horrendous.

Yet to see if the night tube will change that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.