Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Miguel
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have had an order from Deep Thought Games, LLC in for this for at least 4 years. Just checked and I am still 330 games from the front of the line. What gives? Is there some other way to get this game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Denison
United States
Ames
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can get it from All Abord Games at a slightly higher premium price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toby Mao
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I ordered from All Aboard games and Scott shipped the game within 24 hours. You don't have many choices (extra shares or none) but in my opinion, waiting 1+ years for a game is ridiculous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tucker Taylor
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Is your score positive? You win! (Some players win more than others.)
badge
A woman needs a man like a fish needs a saxophone.
mbmbmbmbmb
That's https://sites.google.com/site/aagamesllc/home/ordering-1 and I believe the premium is 25%. Maybe 20%.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They should cancel their regular queue now. It's going nowhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Branchburg
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
abodi wrote:

They should maybe work on their regular queue, because people have been waiting in it for over 4 years. The offer to pay extra to jump in front of the queue we've been waiting in for 4 years is enticing, but if you don't want laminated components you're SOL.

I can only hope GMT's 1846 experiment will save more games from the Deep Thought black hole.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
mugs wrote:
...but if you don't want laminated components you're SOL.

False. There is no difference between DTG's production of a game and AAG's other than some small text on the box (serial number etc). They both use the same materials, production methods and yes, lamination for the games they both produce.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United Kingdom
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
mugs wrote:

I can only hope GMT's 1846 experiment will save more games from the Deep Thought black hole.

Yeah that would fantastic for us in Europe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
mugs wrote:
abodi wrote:

They should maybe work on their regular queue, because people have been waiting in it for over 4 years. The offer to pay extra to jump in front of the queue we've been waiting in for 4 years is enticing, but if you don't want laminated components you're SOL.

I think what slows the queue down, too, is that they contact you to let you know they're working on your game . . . wanna add anything else? Of course people do. After waiting lord-knows-how-long, you're going to add any titles you will ever want as long as you can afford them. My oldest order is at 285, and I don't even know how long I've been waiting.

I should add that I am *very glad* that Deep Thought's owners (a very small operation, I am sure!) have decided to spend their money and free time essentially making custom copies of these OOP games at an affordable cost. Long wait, but an excellent hobby resource.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler McLaughlin
Canada
Medicine Hat
Alberta
flag msg tools
Talk
badge
Words
mbmbmbmbmb
Not to mention the large number of people who require time to "get their money together" when they are contacted for payment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john guthrie
United States
silver spring
maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Plus the special orders they do for certain 18xx cons. I don't know a lot about these since I've only seen them referenced in the yahoo list, but some of those seem quite large
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Berry
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
mugs wrote:
...but if you don't want laminated components you're SOL.

False. There is no difference between DTG's production of a game and AAG's other than some small text on the box (serial number etc). They both use the same materials, production methods and yes, lamination for the games they both produce.

So if you DON'T want laminated components (which is what Brandon wrote), you don't have that option with a premium order. For example, my personal preference is for extra-thick, unlaminated tiles (and lamination for certificates and charters). Also, I usually buy my own wooden markers instead of the DTG ones. So if I can order a game from the queue, I can configure it the way I like. But of course I'll take the premium offering if it saves me several years of waiting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebecca Carpenter
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got a chance to meet John Tamplin, owner of DTG, and playtest a title that he is considering publishing with him and I realized that DTG is extremely busy making games. DTG is the publisher. John puts a lot of time into fine-tuning the games he publishes and playtesting potential new titles. And we would all much rather have him doing that than cutting out certificates. Because he's a genious and a pro. He also does the graphic design of which I'm a fan.

The physical production of DTG titles is mostly done by Golden Spike (Jeff) and All Aboard Games (Scott). Jeff was the one who made the DTG copies sold at the con I attended, not John. And oh my, does Jeff do great work.

TLDR: Buy your DTG games from Golden Spike or All Aboard Games. They're priced very well through them and are top quality. John Tamplin of DTG is hard at work making new 18xx games for us and that's for the best.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.