Subject: Running a long-term, casual campaign? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Mapes
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Hey out there,

I am hoping to start a casual Hexcrawl-inspired campaign with a large group of potential players, and I was hoping for a little advice from anyone who's played SoB campaigns.

When I play with friends, I usually end up being the rules arbiter (that's just who I am), but with this game specifically that ends up being a Dungeon-Master-y sort of job, by reading rules, interpreting rolls (narrowly, but still), and placing monsters.

Now, thinking about a larger campaign where the players might come and go between sessions, I'm wondering if I should just step back and be a facilitator - and maybe inject a little more personality and story into some of the missions.

Has anyone tried this before? Pluses or minuses?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
United States
Scottdale
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I almost did the same thing with our five player group, to try and smooth out the game. The group got up to speed with the game, though, so it became less of an issue. I think it's a good idea even so, as long as you can get enjoyment from the overseer type of role.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It makes sense when teaching the game, but in the long run you'd bet bored I think. After all, what keeps a GM interested is planning out the adventure and telling the story. The story is more or less on autopilot for this game. Yes you'd be able to smack the robot DM when it got out of hand but is that really enough reason for you not to play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mapes
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
David - hard to say. It's also true that my friends aren't idiots, either, even if I'm probably a little faster with the rules. I might just content myself with making a good cheat sheet for combat and stepping into the game a little.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ScottL
United States
Weare
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
mapesian wrote:
Hey out there,

I am hoping to start a casual Hexcrawl-inspired campaign with a large group of potential players... thinking about a larger campaign where the players might come and go between sessions

I think HexCrawl is great for this. With the older version of HexCrawl, I pre-rolled and "seeded" a persistent world with all the towns, their traits, flavor bios, and in some cases set specific missions associated with them. I printed out all the towns as note pages and put in a notebook with the rules/charts for easy reference.

I started each "new" posse in a different town and made notes of where they went and where they ended up. In a few cases where I wanted to mix the heroes in different groups, I made them travel to a location to meet up (an adventure in itself at times!)

I've been running a posse with me and my college age sons, another posse with my wife, and several solo posse groups that I've played off an on testing some variations. It seems to work pretty well as long as you jot down some notes for where each group left off so to speak.

Initially, I was trying to do the overall campaign (in that version) to seal up every mine, I've given up on that (and tracking the overall progress and the date/progress tracker with multiple posse's doing stuff) and now it's just a set world to "adventure" in.

I've recently downloaded the new HexCrawl and plan on updating/converting everything to the new system using the expanded towns and whatnot. He's got a great sandbox mode, campaigns, jobs, and a LOT of other fun stuff that will be perfect for supporting this. I like that the actions of one group may effect the town visits of other groups. Should be a lot of fun.

Give it a try. Oh and I don't DM the game sessions, but just did the initial setup. Beauty part is that since my memory is completely shot as I've gotten older, I've pretty much forgotten much of what I had rolled and written up originally a year ago. So some parts of it are new to me too!

(That's a feature, not a bug)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
What did you think of this BGG HexCrawl file? (I haven't looked at it yet.)
https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/111247/hexcrawl

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ScottL
United States
Weare
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Quote:
What did you think of this BGG HexCrawl file? (I haven't looked at it yet.)
https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/111247/hexcrawl

Yes that's the new version I was talking about (there are actually 3 parts to the download). I poked at it here and there testing some of the parts as paddirn was developing it, but haven't put it into complete play yet. I'd love to print it out but it's very large and would eat up a lot of ink. I believe he intended it to be a pdf referenced from your computer or tablet. It looks astounding™. LOTS of really creative thought and attention to every detail for expanding the meta-game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.