Subject: Pocket GEV rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
wolf90 (Drew)
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding Pocket GEV . . .

There is a decent chance that this makes it to light. Discussions are occurring as to the feasibility of this project. However, there are a number of hurdles to cross before we're putting this up on Warehouse 23.

First, there is no way we can sell this at $2.95. Pocket Ogre was sold at that price point as part of a promotional campaign. Pocket GEV will come in more around $10. Is this acceptable to everyone? It does not make sense to make a product if people won't buy it.

Second, do people want the 1st edition GEV with the basic map (not unlike the Pocket Ogre map) or would they prefer the full-color, glossy map of later GEV editions? This should not change the cost significantly.

The answer to both of these questions will go a long way to determining the feasibility of this project.

D.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
✅✅✅✅     ✅❌✅✅❌✅ ✅❌✅❌✅✅ ❌❌✅✅❌❌ Next year!
badge
I'm in at $10.

I feel like the colored map is far more user-friendly for distinguishing terrain at a glance. However, the matte nature of the original map is more user-friendly from a lighting standpoint. Which is to say -- is matte color a possibility? I realize it's not a position you've offered. Further extending the list of things you haven't offered, what about the feasibility of other GEV maps? Is there a possibility of a POD-type solution for those, and if so, would it work better with a particular map type?

But, arm twisted, I'll say that I think the B&W map is the one I'd prefer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ptak
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've punched my Pocket Ogre set and keep it on me pretty much all the time for moments where I want to play solo, eventually hoping to convince someone to join in.

Also, it's nice to have a copy the Big Book of Wargames espoused was an "excellent game".

I'd LOVE to have GEV, even at $10. It expands the experience of pocket OGRE and is backwards compatible. Plus, if it's as big as pocket OGRE, it will also sit in my bag.

Lastly I'd love to have the original printing graphics. It's weird, I'm a (relatively) young whipper snapper I imagine to most OGRE players, but I prefer the original old graphics to the flashy new ones! When going for a nostalgia version, I'd want as close to the original graphics as possible.

I imagine anyone wanting the full-color maps would probably acquire the maps now on the SJG site, or would acquire a not-nostalgia version of the game. The original, with the original graphics, is how long out of print?

TL;DR: I'd buy it, and I'd love the original map graphics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be in at $10-15.

Back in the day the MetaGaming microgames were in the $2-5 range, and the paragraph adventures, i.e. MicroQuests for Melee/Wizard were the same.

Dark City Games publishes new paragraph driven adventures and they charge $12.95 for them, which I find reasonable.

I don't have a strong preference for the map. The nostalgic me likes the original, the modern me likes the glossy one (especially since I played a fair bit of Shockwave scenarios and it butted up with the GEV maps).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malechi
United States
Clearlake
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I just used an inflation calculator and $10.00 is quite reasonable as $2.95 in 1978 comes to $10.91 in 2016.

www.usinflationcalculator.com

EDIT: As for the maps, a thought occurred to me, since Pocket Ogre came with the basic map have GEV come with the basic map. However, add both of the color maps to Warehouse 23 and I would definitely be in!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
Edgerton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would go for a copy of GEV for $10. I would not buy as many as Pocket Ogre and hand them out like candy, but I would point out to gift recipients that it was available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Hiesterman
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
I wish to kill you, be at rest as to that, but to kill you quietly in a snug, remote place, where you will not be able to boast of your death to anybody
badge
Caught trouser-free in open country...
mbmbmbmbmb
$10 GEV? In a heartbeat. I would probably buy 10 again, like I did Ogre, so I could give them away as gifts...

Full color please! The retro look of Ogre worked due to simple terrain, but GEV requires more terrain consideration, so the clearer the better!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
$10 is fine. I'd love to replace my original copy (long lost in the mists of time) with a nice new one to go with my new copy of Pocket Ogre. I'd keep the basic map, but that's just me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Like Steve, I'd buy one or two copies but wouldn't buy a box of them like I did with Pocket Ogre. While I love the retro look of the original map, I do think the importance of terrain in GEV makes color a lot more important there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed T
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely down for $10.00 MSRP. Basic map is totally fine with me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Geordie Geek
United Kingdom
Chester-le-Street
County Durham
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hell I would pay $10 no issue, as for the map, I am torn, the basic one would give the nostalgia kick quite nicely, but the terrain is quite important, so I kinda think the colour map would be better.

What about offering the basic map as a W23 exclusive either stand alone or as a second version of pocket GEV.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Owen
United States
Norwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Slight preference for color map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Peters
United States
Saint Augustine
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would happily pay $10 and would prefer a matte color map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Stearns
United States
North Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I recall correctly the price of this has been discussed before, and the dollar amount was $10.95. This isn't a problem for most of the Oger/GEV community (according to comments that I have read).

My preference for the map is color, matte over glossy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carroll
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Price okay, basic map better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Stearns
United States
North Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Norsehound wrote:
I've punched my Pocket Ogre set and keep it on me pretty much all the time for moments where I want to play solo, eventually hoping to convince someone to join in.

Also, it's nice to have a copy the Big Book of Wargames espoused was an "excellent game".

I'd LOVE to have GEV, even at $10. It expands the experience of pocket OGRE and is backwards compatible. Plus, if it's as big as pocket OGRE, it will also sit in my bag.

Lastly I'd love to have the original printing graphics. It's weird, I'm a (relatively) young whipper snapper I imagine to most OGRE players, but I prefer the original old graphics to the flashy new ones! When going for a nostalgia version, I'd want as close to the original graphics as possible.

I imagine anyone wanting the full-color maps would probably acquire the maps now on the SJG site, or would acquire a not-nostalgia version of the game. The original, with the original graphics, is how long out of print?

TL;DR: I'd buy it, and I'd love the original map graphics.

Which full-color maps are you referring to!?! The Ogre Giant Battlefield set is used with ODE (the Big Box) and the hexes are 1.5 inches across. The Pocket edition counters look lost in those hexes. You could try and get copies of the now long out of print Ogre/GEV items via BGG or eBay, but the cost "might" be expensive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Labelle
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Basic map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louis Brenton
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd definitely pay $10 for a small GEV set, & I'd prefer a color map. In truth, the one thing I don't like about the pocket Ogre set is the black & white map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Saxton
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
After all, gas can is my middle name. Eh, not really.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a thought here.

Would it be possible to print the map two-sided? Original 1978/1979 blue/green/beige map on one side; and "new" 1983 release colored map on the other side. I'd even pay a few bucks more for that option.

[Forgot to add, yes, I'd buy at least two, perhaps more. Gave away 12 of the 'Pocket Ogre' to various kids in my son's game group]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Minsker
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No problem with $10. I prefer the original basic map over full color, but it's not something that would change my purchase decision either way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Valdez
msg tools

I'd buy several at $10-15, would like the color map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
$10-$15 is fine for me, and it would be my fifth copy of G.E.V. in one form or another.

I like both map styles. I do wonder if making a modular version would be better, if the line is to be expanded like the original.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Stim
United States
Harvest
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would buy a few and I prefer the color version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K Bronson
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'd spring for a $10 version. I prefer black and white maps. I can read the hex numbers better. In the Ogre color maps I've routinely had me and my opponents lose the ridge lines in the map colors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Rose
United States
Linden
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would buy a copy, prefer colored map.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.