Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Chain Reactors,

I've been playing this game a lot since I got it and I'm really loving it. I've played it primarily solo and I'm wondering what is considered a good or high score?

So far I've reach 29 points!

Is this good, ok, average or great?

Anyone know?

Thanks

Joe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathe
United States
Greenfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
http://www.Game-Universe.com
badge
http://www.MinionGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
From what I've been hearing:

< 20 Try Again
20-29 Good Attempt
30-39 Job Well Done Sir
40+ You're a true scientist

High score I've seen reported was 49. Someone did 42 in a session report filed today.

James
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
49!!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
RPGShop wrote:

< 20 Try Again
20-29 Good Attempt
30-39 Job Well Done Sir

High score I've seen reported was 49. Someone did 42 in a session report filed today.

James

By the way, thank James for this score breakdown, gives me something to shot for!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad103
United States
Skaneateles
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RPGShop wrote:

< 20 Try Again
20-29 Good Attempt
30-39 Job Well Done Sir

James

43! Though..I guess a 42 score would've been cooler given the connotation of the number. Thanks for the breakdown for ratings. I like games that have that, gives you more of a feeling of accomplishment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
RPGShop wrote:

< 20 Try Again
20-29 Good Attempt
30-39 Job Well Done Sir

James

Hi James,

OK, huge difference in game play when you actually use the correct solo rules!

I know no one is going to believe this but I just got a score of 54!

Now with the rules as stated I feel like I'm cheating in a way because the factory card make the game so easy to get points! You just keep using the factory card to search for the double agent and 3 uranium Enrichment Plant!!! This combo is just amazing and turns the game into a Uranium generator!

I played the rules as stated and got 54! WTW!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Played again just to make sure it wasn't some anomaly and got a 51 easy. So I guess this is going to be average score!

I think you'll have to up your score chart a bit because with the solo rules as is it's very easy to get above 40!

I have to say the combo of playing the Factory to get a Double Agent and [3] Uranium Enrichment Plant is just too much of a game changer IMHO!

Once the Double Agent and [3] Uranium Enrichment plant is in the discard pile, every time you get a Factory you are going to get at least 3 Uranium! Every single time!

So, either the score scale will have to change or the card rules will have to change.

Joe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad103
United States
Skaneateles
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any more info on how the game played out? The key to getting a high score is obviously the Double Agent, and secondly the 3U Plant. In a 55 card deck there are only 2 Double Agents, and 3 3U Plants. You'd have to get at least one of each in the first half of the game, earlier the better. And it would depend on how many factories you discarded before you got them.

I would hope after many plays this wouldn't be the case the majority of the time. I think without utilizing this chain the game opens up for different strategies for each round. Still, I don't consider this a game play loop hole, but just a really good strategy for score. However, I'm tempted to play the game with a modified Double Agent ability. Either ignore the solo rules and use it for its landmark rule only. Or make the solo rule match the Landmark rule and still require Yellowcake, but no Personnel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Johns
United States
Huntersville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was the previously mentioned 49, but my average solo scores have been on the low to mid 30's, with one game last week that scored just 21 points, as all the needed solo powered cards came at the end when there was nothing I could do about it. I have yet to top 40 again since that 49, but I haven't played too much since that 49 with the print and play. I have started doing some more play throughs this last week with the actual copy, and have fallen back into the 30 average point scoring again. that 49, the double agent and high uranium plant came early and I was able to loop everything just right, but that was a one time thing. If you're constantly scoring over 40, I would at least entertain the fact that you might be doing something wrong. If that is NOT the case, tell me what you are doing, as I have not been able to reproduce that high score since.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ajohns78 wrote:
I was the previously mentioned 49, but my average solo scores have been on the low to mid 30's, with one game last week that scored just 21 points, as all the needed solo powered cards came at the end when there was nothing I could do about it. I have yet to top 40 again since that 49, but I haven't played too much since that 49 with the print and play. I have started doing some more play throughs this last week with the actual copy, and have fallen back into the 30 average point scoring again. that 49, the double agent and high uranium plant came early and I was able to loop everything just right, but that was a one time thing. If you're constantly scoring over 40, I would at least entertain the fact that you might be doing something wrong. If that is NOT the case, tell me what you are doing, as I have not been able to reproduce that high score since.

It's funny you mention this because I've played 15 or so games and I haven't broke 43 yet! So, I would say it all depends on if you get the double agent and enrichment plant in the beginning! On my rhree 50+ games I got double agent and enrichment early. I'm very happy with this game especially it's small foot print and incredible art!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathe
United States
Greenfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
http://www.Game-Universe.com
badge
http://www.MinionGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the info... please though, rate the game so distributors and stores pick the game up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
RPGShop wrote:
Thanks for all the info... please though, rate the game so distributors and stores pick the game up.

Rated... but will probably go higher since it shows a lot of challenge, variety, replay abilities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Johns
United States
Huntersville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
just tried two more games. 36 then 40. both times, agent and plant didn't come until 5th round or later. but used it as best I could. Still trying to get better, though and see if I can't break 50 as well.

Rated it way back when I printed and played the heck out of the print and play. Hope it gets picked up. great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Johns
United States
Huntersville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
... and just for kicks, I tried one last time before going to bed. this time, the agent allowing me to play free from hand did not come out at all until the last 4 cards, and I ended with a whopping 22. would love to see me some 50's eventually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ajohns78 wrote:
... and just for kicks, I tried one last time before going to bed. this time, the agent allowing me to play free from hand did not come out at all until the last 4 cards, and I ended with a whopping 22. would love to see me some 50's eventually.

Question:
During your turn, if you've played two cards and don't have anything else you want to do can you draw back up to 5 cards again or do I have to play cards that are playable? I find myself playing a card, drawing a card. Playing three cards, drawing three cards, etc... this is correct play right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad103
United States
Skaneateles
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kingspud wrote:
Question:
During your turn, if you've played two cards and don't have anything else you want to do can you draw back up to 5 cards again or do I have to play cards that are playable? I find myself playing a card, drawing a card. Playing three cards, drawing three cards, etc... this is correct play right?

Correct.
In the rules under Play Overview, second paragraph it says "You may discard as many cards as you wish from your hand. Draw from the Industry deck so that you have five cards in your hand..." This implies that you don't have to discard cards if you don't want to before you draw up to five. And that implies that you don't have to play all your cards either.

I haven't had a chance to play solo again, but I was thinking you could play a slow game, doing one small chain a round until you get your high value cards (agent/3u), so that you don't go through the deck as fast until you get your engine going. But this is still limited by where those nice cards are in the deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I see house rules in the near future....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I see house rules in the near future....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad103
United States
Skaneateles
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, for a solo game it's only you playing, so no one will go against your house rule As for multiplayer, I would think playing few cards and doing a 'slow game' wouldn't work at all.

Right now it looks like scores scale from 50s down to 20s, and that scale is proportionate to you getting that Double Agent/3U Plant combo early game or late game. I almost wish this wasn't the case, so that comparing scores would be more about who best played the cards they had, rather than who got the Combo first. But still, all this is Solo game so doesn't matter very much. The multiplayer (and solo) is still a great game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Braffe wrote:
Well, for a solo game it's only you playing, so no one will go against your house rule As for multiplayer, I would think playing few cards and doing a 'slow game' wouldn't work at all.

Right now it looks like scores scale from 50s down to 20s, and that scale is proportionate to you getting that Double Agent/3U Plant combo early game or late game. I almost wish this wasn't the case, so that comparing scores would be more about who best played the cards they had, rather than who got the Combo first. But still, all this is Solo game so doesn't matter very much. The multiplayer (and solo) is still a great game!

I would change the factory cards that let you draw 3 cards and make it 1 card instead. This would change the game a bit and still keep it challenging.
I don't like how the combo is so specific and linear with no difference in play choices. It's the best combo so it will only be played constantly. OR change the double agent so when you draw it you have to randomly discard a card from your hand
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Heller
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Braffe wrote:
kingspud wrote:
Question:

Correct.
In the rules under Play Overview, second paragraph it says "You may discard as many cards as you wish from your hand. Draw from the Industry deck so that you have five cards in your hand..." This implies that you don't have to discard cards if you don't want to before you draw up to five. And that implies that you don't have to play all your cards either.

Wait a minute.. I'm not sure this interpretation is correct where you can play, draw, discard, draw etc.. Yes, You may discard as many cards as you want at the END of your turn, and then replenish them up to five, but I don't think you can "drawing a card. Playing three cards, drawing three cards," because you never technically finish your turn then (and thus clean up all the played cards).

I would interpret the proper way of playing, in the specific example king spud wrote about, as You played two cards, you don't want to play any more, so you end your turn. You discard however many you wish and then you replenish up to five.

I could be misreading the question at hand and you are actually ending your turn and cleaning up cards before you start drawing more cards up to five.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
kheller2 wrote:
Braffe wrote:
kingspud wrote:
Question:

Correct.

Wait a minute.. I'm not sure this interpretation is correct where you can play, draw, discard, draw etc.. Yes, You may discard as many cards as you want at the END of your turn, and then replenish them up to five, but I don't think you can "drawing a card. Playing three cards, drawing three cards," because you never technically finish your turn then (and thus clean up all the played cards).

I would interpret the proper way of playing, in the specific example king spud wrote about, as You played two cards, you don't want to play any more, so you end your turn. You discard however many you wish and then you replenish up to five.

I could be misreading the question at hand and you are actually ending your turn and cleaning up cards before you start drawing more cards up to five.

Correct! Now when I play I end my turn, discard all played cards and any cards in my hand that I don't want and then draw up to a hand of 5 cards. The way I was playing in the beginning was wrong because I wasn't actually completing my turn and discarding cards before drawing new cards.

The big thing for me was that I thought you HAD to play all your cards that were playable but then realized I can quit my turn whenever I want and don't have to play all my cards! It's my choice to decide when my turn is over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Heller
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
The question of vuluntarily discarding is what led me to search the boards here. I wasn't sure if I could choose to not play if I could play and discard to get better cards.

I just played my first solo game and got a score of 31; Completed 5 bombs and 3 of them were loaded. I made some interesting chains and think I got all the rules correct. I found myself actually playing faster and faster each hand which was rather trippy and I kept an eye on (but not counting) the supply pile of cards making sure I could finish up what I wanted to do before running out of cards.

The only other question I had was when playing special ability cards do I discard them as soon as I use them or let them out on the play field and clean them up at the end of the turn. I choose the latter, because the former would allow me to play a special ability, discard it, then use another special ability like Double Agent to pick that card right back up and play it again. (I'm tired so I hope I explained that right).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad103
United States
Skaneateles
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kheller2 wrote:
The only other question I had was when playing special ability cards do I discard them as soon as I use them or let them out on the play field and clean them up at the end of the turn. I choose the latter, because the former would allow me to play a special ability, discard it, then use another special ability like Double Agent to pick that card right back up and play it again. (I'm tired so I hope I explained that right).

Discarding at the end is correct. In the rulebook under play overview, second paragraph: "At the end of your turn, discard all industry cards played."

31 is a nice score. But you can best that! I'm still trying to beat the reigning top score of 49!...someday...cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.