Popular Tags: [View All]
Karl Rainer
Canada
Nanaimo
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I very much enjoyed my first play of Scythe. It's the first game I have seen or played where a single action space is associated with two different actions, and I really enjoyed that aspect of the game. Is this something completely innovative, or can someone point me to a few games using this mechanic?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tod Andrew
Australia
Wollongong
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Martin Wallace is a designer with many games that involve taking two actions per turn. But I don't recall one that uses Scythe's two-action spaces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graeme Morley
Wales
PENARTH
Vale of Glamorgan
flag msg tools
The Gallerist has four action spaces with a choice of two actions on each, plus if a player chooses the space you are on you get a bonus action (I think IIRC)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
Nothing happens for a reason, but everything happens by a mechanism
badge
Nitrogen Conservation Awareness: I pee in the yard
mbmbmbmbmb
As mentioned above The Gallerist has four action spaces, each associated with two actions. Only one of the two actions is selected at a time. The action spaces are shared between players, which means that in 4P games most action spaces are usually occupied. However, a player can go to an occupied action space and "kick out" the other player, who then gets a bonus action, so it's good to be kicked out.

In Scythe the actions are only for a player's sole use. The only blocking occurs from being unable to select the same action space twice in a row. However, both actions in an action space can be selected on the same turn.

I've been wracking my brain, and the only other example I can think of is in the underrated game Olympus. When a player takes an action all other players have the ability to "follow," which means to take a similar but weaker version of the action. It is often preferable to follow than to be totally blocked out of that action for the turn. Not the same thing as the two games above, but in the same general universe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Huynh
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Madeira has an action selection mechanism where every die you place you are actually activating two actions, it's an incredible game, much heavier than Scythe though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like Puerto Rico, San Juan, and Race for the Galaxy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Squatting Monkey wrote:
Sounds like Puerto Rico, San Juan, and Race for the Galaxy

I can't speak for Puerto Rico or San Juan, but regarding Race for the Galaxy:

1. It lets each player choose their own action phase (or two action phases if playing 2-player) simultaneously.

2. All players then do all chosen action phases, but the players who picked the phase themselves get a more powerful version of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.