Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems to be a pattern I've noticed with KS games I've backed that are from companies outside the US.

Either they don't know how to package & insulate games very well, or somewhere along the way the postal service is VERY aggressive in the way they handle packages.

I had a torn & split box when I received my copy of Archon, and now with Medici the box is dented (accordion-style) on two opposite corners. It isn't split, but it is noticeable. How does that happen! Granted, it was wrapped in bubble wrap and packed inside a bubble wrap-lined large envelope.

Not enough, apparently. It can still be tossed about and dented. Why don't companies just ship games in boxes with peanuts or something? Adjust the price if you have to, but I'd rather pay to ensure the game arrives safely.

Anyone else have this problem, or am I just lucky?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 8 27 Feb - 1 Mar 2015 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk Essex Games 27 Jul '15
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Treefrog games had that handled (direct postage rather than KS) with a box with a protective border that was pretty much immune to corner dents. Could still be punctured to the large flat side, but that's a rare event. Much less waste than other solutions I've seen.

(My Medici box is fine. But I picked it off Reiner's hall shelf.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
8-bit Matt
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Haven't received mine yet... hoping it arrives soon, and without damage!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Billington
United States
Tyler
Texas
flag msg tools
Three little bears. One with a light. One with a stick. One with a rope. A spooky old tree. Do they dare go into that spooky old tree? Yes. They dare.
badge
Hooty Hoo!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, mine was damaged as well.

It was bubble wrapped and shipped in a bag envelope.

It appears to have had a heavy box dropped on top of it. The front cover is dished and an imprint of the crushing box's corner can be seen. This force squished the components together, damaging the board inside.

To Grail Games' credit, this edition's box is very sturdy. A lesser box likely would have been destroyed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke DeWitt
United States
Highlands Ranch
CO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
8bit Geezer wrote:
Haven't received mine yet... hoping it arrives soon, and without damage!

I'm in the same boat I haven't received mine yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
j Bird wrote:
Yes, mine was damaged as well.

It was bubble wrapped and shipped in a bag envelope.

It appears to have had a heavy box dropped on top of it. The front cover is dished and an imprint of the crushing box's corner can be seen. This force squished the components together, damaging the board inside.

To Grail Games' credit, this edition's box is very sturdy. A lesser box likely would have been destroyed.

Good to know I'm not the only one (not good that your box was damaged, I'm sorry). Mine is still in shrink because I'm just not sure if I should bother with writing Grail Games or just let it be. I know a box's lifespan only goes downhill from the moment you get it, but still, I don't need the process accelerated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Ridge
United States
Martinez
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine arrived unscathed which seems a miracle. When I say bubble wrap it's the smallest bubbles, with a single layer, all inside a plastic bag envelope. I honestly don't know how it arrived undamaged. The game box itself is very strong and sturdy which I'm sure helps. I don't blame Grail Games directly, it was shipped from China, but in the future they may want to re-examine the way things are shipped or have a bit more oversight on the process.

If your game arrived damaged I would certainly find out what can be done, it should be a shelf ready new product, not damaged.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Takagi
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dearlove wrote:
(My Medici box is fine. But I picked it off Reiner's hall shelf.)

Oh the envy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Stantz
Australia
Central Coast
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine came in the dreaded plastic bag and thankfully wasn't damaged.
I feel small Kickstarter games being delivered with minimal protection is occurring more often now.
I've received 3 that came that way and two were from Grail Games (both not damaged), Scoville: Labs was the other and was not so lucky with a nice rip in it but that was replaced so I can't complain.
The way I see it is if I find a game in a shop with a dent I wouldn't buy it unless there was a discount, so why would I buy a smashed up game from Kickstarter. It's not hard to give the game a bit of protection for transport but I guess replacing smashed up games is cheaper overall somehow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
8-bit Matt
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Mine arrived today. Was shocked to find the game in a padded envelope with bubble wrap. I can't recall ever having a game shipping in anything other than a shipping box.

Shockingly, there doesn't appear to be any damage...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Received mine in California. Same thin bubble wrap and plastic envelope as everyone else has been saying. No serious damage, which is amazing. Just noticed the bottom of box bowing in a bit, like it was stacked on something for a long time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke DeWitt
United States
Highlands Ranch
CO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Got mine today. Same double bubble wrapping. Just a nick on one corner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Greene
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine came in an envelope and wrapped in bubble wrap, but the corners are dented and there are two dents on the sides.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Heavily dented corner, BECAUSE THEY SHIPPED IT IN A BAG! Grail games really messed this up- its up to them to pay the distributor to have their games packed properly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean F
United States
Puyallup
Washington
flag msg tools
Inception: 01/08/16
mbmbmbmb

Smooshed corner, dished back. Not enough to return, but still annoying. Who ships games across the sea in bubblewrap and plastic mailers?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gemini Albon
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine arrived yesterday in a similar condition as some others. Unlike others though, I feel like I should request a replacement (if Grail Games does that). I will certainly agree though that they did do a very good job with the box itself, just not with how it was packaged.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soren Hedberg
Canada
Terrace
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Add me to the damaged box list. The back was pushed in and is creased, game components are fine. Box came wrapped in one thin layer of bubble wrap, and in a thin bubble envelope. Not impressed at all, but I'll live with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean F
United States
Puyallup
Washington
flag msg tools
Inception: 01/08/16
mbmbmbmb
FYI, I've posted a question on the Grail Games Kickstarter page, asking them what they can do to redress the damaged games problem. I really don't want to crucify these guys. They ran a clean campaign and delivered a good product and I'm guessing that sending replacement boxes to everyone with a smooshed corner or two would prove cost prohibitive. But hopefully, they can address those backers that received significantly damaged games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cunning stunt wrote:
FYI, I've posted a question on the Grail Games Kickstarter page, asking them what they can do to redress the damaged games problem. I really don't want to crucify these guys. They ran a clean campaign and delivered a good product and I'm guessing that sending replacement boxes to everyone with a smooshed corner or two would prove cost prohibitive. But hopefully, they can address those backers that received significantly damaged games.

Growing pains, I say. They're sending me a replacement box, so I'm enjoying the game in the meantime. I don't know how many others are in the same boat as me, as I would hate for them to lose a substantial amount of profit over it. But there really is no good excuse for poor packaging of games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeb
United States
Rome
New York
flag msg tools
Very glad I didn't back this one now. I can't believe the shipper thought it was appropriate to use plastic bags and bubble wrap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Milbrath
United States
Blaine
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.
badge
I cannot follow you Christians; for you try to crawl through your life upon your knees, while I stride through mine on my feet.
mbmbmbmbmb
My game came in similar condition to most of those posted. Not even remotely enough box damage to consider a replacement. Minor smooshed corners ain't no thang!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank S
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very happy to see my copy arrive today.

It came in with minor damage. Top corner is pushed in but it didn't carry over into the bottom of the box. Then another slight indentation on the top ridge of the box. Thankfully the box is very sturdy or things would have been much worse.

Again, not enough to be too concerned and I would join the echo that this should have been packaged better, (even at the extra cost)!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry
United States
Graham
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know, think this is a problem?

I sent pics to Grail and they told me mine was the worst they'd seen. I win!!

(Actually, these damages look nearly identical to some others posted by someone else. Similar if not identical type of damage in same locations. Makes me think it was automation or one stack that got nailed.)

UPDATE: I should mention that I wrote to them asking for a box but they generously replaced the entire game. Customer Service at its best! I'll never hesitate backing them again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Taylor

Olympia
Washington
msg tools
mbmb
Mine is a little worse, but looks like yours @cunning stunt. It's in all 4 corners, but I'm counting my blessings it's not bad and it's only a little tough to get the cover off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Wellman
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got mine out of a store, but my goodness, the cover dishing is horrible!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.