Subject: Another Confederate LOC question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike F
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder if someone can advise? I'm not sure I understand the rules regarding how easily Confederates lose Control Markers in northern states, plus what default LOC is.

The rules regarding Confederates in northern states say: "During the Control Segment of each End Phase, remove any Confederate Control marker that does not have an LOC to at least 1 Confederate SP".

Does that mean 'any distance' LOC, such as that used when checking for isolation, or does it mean LOC with the 4MP distance/chain as per 'in limited supply'? The latter would of course be much harder to sustain but it maybe feels more realistic (causing northern towns to rapidly revert to northern control unless SPs are left in them).

I'm still wrestling with what default 'LOC' is. For example, even though the rules below seem quite clear to me that it is 4MP distance (plus chaining), I've been told on this forum that LOC is 'any distance' when determining things like which Supply Point is with LOC of two others. I'm confused:

How To Trace an LOC: A unit has an LOC if it can trace 4 MPs to a friendly Depot which is either a Supply Source or is part of a network that leads to a Supply Source. A Depot projects an LOC 4 MPs from its location. So if the 4 MPs reaches another friendly Depot then the LOC is extended 4 more MPs from there. In such a manner an LOC can extend an unlimited distance as long as each segment between Depots is no more than 4 MPs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The definition of LOC is pretty clear. Unless stated otherwise, the LOC can only go 4 MP by land between depots.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rigol wrote:
For example, even though the rules below seem quite clear to me that it is 4MP distance (plus chaining), I've been told on this forum that LOC is 'any distance' when determining things like which Supply Point is with LOC of two others.

I don't see that in the rulebook or Q&A, so unless you have an authoritative source I would disagree with it, even if someone did say so in this forum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike F
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks so much. I'm of the same mind as you.

Can I ask one other thing from you, as you have a different perspective to one other bit of advice I've had. Do you see this rule as meaning that the Confederate source of Full Supply has to itself be within two other sources within 4MP ... or do you think it can link to one which is in turn linking to another (so, effectively, in a 'chain' with at least two others)? I'm conscious that the former would mean some '2BP' resource hexes (Columbus etc) ever function as a supply source:

Confederate supply is available at any of the three locations listed below as long as the hex (or off-map hex) has an LOC to two other friendly-controlled Resource Hexes (of any value).

I read it as the former i.e the strong resource hex needs, itself, to have 2 other relevant hexes within the 4MP range ... even though it means Columbus etc are not full supply sources.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rigol wrote:
Do you see this rule as meaning that the Confederate source of Full Supply has to itself be within two other sources within 4MP ... or do you think it can link to one which is in turn linking to another (so, effectively, in a 'chain' with at least two others)?

The LOC is already a chain of links, up to 4 MP each. If A has a LOC to B, and B has a LOC to C, then A has a LOC to C.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike F
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks so much. That seems right rules-wise and also gives a nice challenge for the Union player trying to cut them off.

Best

Mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.