$20.00
$5.00
$15.00
Lynette
United States
Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
Yep, I am a girl Scientist. Come for the breasts; Stay for the brains!
badge
For as long as I shall live I will testify to love; I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough.
mbmbmbmbmb
So from now until the end of Aug you can watch LIVE one of the cameras on a submersible NOAA is using to explore the Marianas Trench Marine National Monument and they are finding lots of amazing things weekly.

Here is a short update on just a sampling of what they have seen so far.

Some of the things are really beautiful, some are just weirdly interesting. You should watch the video, and then some of the other recent videos released by NOAA.

(Obligatory RSP) Thanks Bush!!*

*Just a reminder GW Bush. after a meeting with Jean-Michel Cousteau and viewing his documentary was convinced that saving the biodiversity of this unique part of the Oceans was worth making a significant effort for and over the next 3 years used his Presidential Powers to do so.

Quote:

“With the designation of the world’s largest marine reserve in the Northwestern Hawaiian Islands in 2006, and now these three other sites, George W. Bush has done more to protect unique areas of the world’s oceans than any other person in history,” said Joshua Reichert, managing director of the Pew Environmental Group.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/06/us/06oceans.html?hp&_r=0

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2009/01/090106-AP-ma...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
msg tools
Wait, was this an executive order??? LOL

Great find. Thanks Meerkat! Can't believe no one else has commented. This is totally cool!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Gobe
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
Not the avatar you're looking for
mbmbmbmbmb
Very cool stuff, thanks!

I also find it interesting that we have Bush to thank. He has a reputation as one of the most anti-science presidents, and yet after speaking with in expert and watching a documentary, he made it possible for this to happen. I think this show the importance of scientists getting better at reaching out to those not interested and sharing the wonder and beauty of science, rather than cold facts and figures which, while wonderful, do little to engage the average person.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynette
United States
Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
For as long as I shall live I will testify to love; I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough.
mbmbmbmbmb
remorseless1 wrote:

Actually FYI, the President has very exclusive powers to protect U.S. resources if and when they decide to use them.

First Under the 1906 Antiquities Act, a President can decide to protect any U.S. controlled area they think is important. He used this act to create the National Monuments in the first place.

But even better, this act allows him/her to grant various levels of federal protection to any national monuments, ranging from a "no take, no go" status—in which people and industries are not allowed to take anything from the areas or even to visit them or to establish more flexible situation where certain activities are allowed, like science studies, or general visitors or even some kinds of development or economic harvesting etc.

Bush took his powers to an unexpected level and did much more than most environmentalists dared to even hope back then. Not only designating more areas but putting lots of restrictions on use. No Congress approval needed at ALL to do this.

Quote:

Great find. Thanks Meerkat! Can't believe no one else has commented. This is totally cool!

Well I am kind of a nerdy science type. I read more science news than political or world news overall in most given weeks. Plus I have geeky science friends who share what they find within my circles as well.

As both a scientist and a dedicated environmentalist from WAY BACK in my youth, I was thrilled back in 2006-2009 to see Bush take such unexpected steps. It raised my opinion of him significantly.

Today as we are starting to really explore more fully what he protected... it makes me even happier that these regions are currently protected and being studied!!

This and his AIDS Funding to Africa I think are two of the best things he did while in office. FYI ALSO a result of people reaching out to him personally to apprise him of a problem and convincing him to step up and use the power of his office to make a huge difference in ways that didn't get him any political Kudos but were the right thing to do! So he again did it for all the right reasons!

I was a fervent Gore supporter and not a Bush fan... but he left office with me respecting him more than I ever expected to based on these two really important stands he took.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynette
United States
Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

PS I personally love the undulating to propel it cream and purple slug looking thing. So beautiful and graceful for something that one wouldn't think should appeal to human aesthetics.

(Obligatory RSP) God does AMAZING work. whistle

PSS Based on the current camera feed the submersible is headed down again RIGHT NOW.

They are describing where exactly they are going as I type. They just said they will hit bottom again in ~ 30 min.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
msg tools
Meerkat wrote:
remorseless1 wrote:

Actually FYI, the President has very exclusive powers to protect U.S. resources if and when they decide to use them.

Oh hon, it's just a joke, okay? I remember when Bush did this and thought "good idea."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynette
United States
Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
remorseless1 wrote:
Meerkat wrote:
remorseless1 wrote:

Oh hon, it's just a joke, okay? I remember when Bush did this and thought "good idea."

I knew the "Executive Order" was a Joke... but not everybody knows about the Antiquity Act... which I think is really excellent and thought I would take the opportunity to mention.

kiss

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything.
mbmbmbmbmb
remorseless1 wrote:

The topic has come up in the past, I believe a few years back when Obama greatly expanded the area that Bush had created. Of course various people on the right had a fit about Obama's excessive use of presidential powers when he expanded the protected area.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynette
United States
Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sfox wrote:
remorseless1 wrote:

The topic has come up in the past, I believe a few years back when Obama greatly expanded the area that Bush had created. Of course various people on the right had a fit about Obama's excessive use of presidential powers when he expanded the protected area.

Some had a fit when Bush did it too. Who cares? It wasn't a majority of them. It didn't even make a lot of news on the major bitch fest blogs.

Sincerely... Thanks Obama! Thanks Bush! It is good that some GOOD things are done by our leaders on both sides of the political divide.

After Obama expanded that region as one environmentalist said...

Quote:

"ocean protection may be one of the last bipartisan issues" in the politically divided United States."

David Helvarg - founder of the advocacy group Blue Frontier Campaign.

Let us HOPE that remains the true regardless of who wins the next several election cycles!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

My opinion on the Bushes has significantly improved after their refusal to endorse Trump. Any Republican who does so gets a significant bump in my opinion, even Cruz who I otherwise can't stand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.