Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
neko flying
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unlike the base game, this expansion is recommended by the bgg community for three players too. Is there a reason for this? Does it play better with three than the base game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
birchbeer
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably because there are just more things to do with the additional characters. I imagine the addition of Warriors of Middle-Earth will extend this even more, perhaps even making 4-player more popular.

Nothing in the expansions change the fact that it's still basically a 2-player game of the Free vs the Shadow, but with so much to keep track of even in the base game (2nd edition), having a teammate makes more sense with the expansions added in.

In fact, I applaud all efforts to make it more team friendly! When I have my CE set up it is so impressive that you really want everyone to share in the epic experience, not just two people taking up the whole damn table!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
neko flying
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the answer. I have very mixed feelings towards the multiplayer version. On the one hand, it is great to play with more than two players; on the other hand, the multiplayer rules feel a bit fiddly and not completely satisfactory. It is a pity, I wish it were possible to make a better variant than the original one, but I can see why it is difficult!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atanasije Stojkovic
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
flying_neko wrote:
Unlike the base game, this expansion is recommended by the bgg community for three players too. Is there a reason for this? Does it play better with three than the base game?

I may be coming to the party late, but I consider this misleading.

The game adds nothing for the Sauron Allies player. Virtually everything is for the Sauron player.

Well, to be specific, the game adds a total of three generic Character Event Cards which both players can use, so if you happen to draw some or all of them from the 28-card Character Event deck, you'll get to use it - just like your partner. And two of them have even got a Combat Card text that's that's extremely rarely useful (you can only use it if Saruman is in battle, which means when fighting only in Orthanc, the Gap of Rohan of the Fords of Isen, exclusively).

That's pretty much everything. Oh and you get to use the Keeper Die, which basically is the same like the standard Action Dice - except for the Balrog Die Result on his respective die, which can be used solely by the Sauron player. I guess you could argue that you'd also be able to see some of the new Sauron Minions if it comes to a Mixed Army that you control, but that's pretty much not that important.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.