Popular Tags: [View All]
Troy Nichols
United States
Vacaville
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Noted the updated Sicily is out marketed as an Introduction to the system

Is this game or RE preferred to get introduced to the system?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tankboy
United States
Haslet
Texas
flag msg tools
I know. It's an Awesome Avatar.
mbmbmbmbmb
Tunisia or Tunisia II would be your best option to get an all around introduction for OCS gameplay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Lott
United States
FPO
US Armed Forces - Pacific
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Troy,

As a relative new OCS player (I got introduced to the system this year) I would say RE because it has a low counter mix and comes with the OCS Starter Guide/Walkthrough. RE does a good job of giving you a taste of a lot of the mechanics of OCS in a digestible format. I have not played Sicily II yet as Baltic Gap is currently on the table; however compared to Sicily I (Triumph and Folly) its more streamlined and a smaller scale. As mentioned by Tankboy Tunisia II is a very smooth playing OCS title, which I enjoyed very much but I would say start with RE first and then go crazy if you enjoy the system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tonny Wille
Belgium
9310 Meldert
Oost-Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lott1225 wrote:
Troy,

As a relative new OCS player (I got introduced to the system this year) I would say RE because it has a low counter mix and comes with the OCS Starter Guide/Walkthrough. RE does a good job of giving you a taste of a lot of the mechanics of OCS in a digestible format. I have not played Sicily II yet as Baltic Gap is currently on the table; however compared to Sicily I (Triumph and Folly) its more streamlined and a smaller scale. As mentioned by Tankboy Tunisia II is a very smooth playing OCS title, which I enjoyed very much but I would say start with RE first and then go crazy if you enjoy the system.

Some very good advice. I haven't played Sicily II either but just looking at the airdrops and amphibious assault... those things will be of no concern in RE and will make it much easier to start playing the game

Minor thing about Sicily II. You still need to print to standard rules and combat tables. A bit annoying when your printer decides to stop working like mine did a few weeks ago soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Miller
United States
Morgan Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd go for Reluctant Enemies as it really gives you a small taste of almost everything OCS, plus it has the "starter guide." Sicily II seems to have some assembly required (you have to acquire the series rules), and the articles included in the magazine are rather advanced.

Cheers,
Kris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon thornton
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having played Sicily II and Tunisia and having solo ed RE. RE first but then Tunisia second and Sicily third.

This on the grounds that Tunisia starts off unit light and gradually builds up . Sicily if you play the campaign starts big from the get go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincenzo Beretta
Italy
Milan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll play a bit the devil's advocate here.

My suggestion is Sicily II, followed by Tunisia II. When I started with OCS I tried RE on VASSAL, to get a "feel" for the system and see if it was for me. I loved the system, but I found RE a bit "sparse": vague front lines and not really many choices.

So when I took the plunge (i.e. a few minutes later) I bought Sicily II and TII together. I'm really glad I did that for the following reasons:

- TII gave me a hard copy of the 4.2 rules.

- Sicily II is actually a game within a magazine devoted to OCS in general. Within the magazine you find helpful hints, tutorials, and even additional charts and tables aimed to help the beginner. Then there are parts devoted to strategic matters and other games in the series - which will make you salivating.

- Downloading a copy of the 4.2 rules (if you don't buy TII) doesn't imply that you have to print them: when I checked the system I learned the ropes with a copy on my Retina iPad. Even now that I have a hard copy, I always keep my iPad nearby and check things there, too.

- After Sicily II you can move to Tunisia II - it is a great game! Also, remember how you can learn the system via Sicily II by playing the smaller scenarios and then switch to Tunisia II, if this theatre it is your main interest.

- One last thing, even if maybe it is just me: on the campaigns for Tunisia and Sicily you can find a lot of good books (like "Bitter Victory" by Carlo d'Este or "An Army at Dawn" by Rick Atkinson). They can provide you an overall insight on what happened, why, what could have happened, and how the various events were interconnected - thus giving you a framework to start with. I still have to find a good enough book about the RE's campaign for Palestine.

Edit: tl;dr

Go for Sicily II and download the v4.2 rules if you are on a budget, add by all means Tunisia II if you can afford it.

Welcome to OCS!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.