Subject: Do you play with the official Gourmet variant? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
♫ ♫
Italy
ravenna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
(i.e. the panda cannot eat the bamboo bases)

Does it improve the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rathbun
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, not yet. We use the 3-point bonus for completing a set of objectives but not this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Molokov (AU)
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My feeling is that if the panda can't eat the bamboo bases, it makes in incredibly difficult to place improvements. Unless, when using that variant, you also say that improvements can be placed on plots with 0 or 1 bamboo (and no other existing improvement).

We also like to play with the Diversity variant (as Dave mentioned), as it encourages people to go for all three objective types rather than just the quick and easy ones (Panda).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Burigo
Italy
Belluno
flag msg tools
designer
badge
“Don't try the paranormal until you know what's normal.” - Granny Weatherwax
mbmbmbmbmb
Molokov wrote:
My feeling is that if the panda can't eat the bamboo bases, it makes in incredibly difficult to place improvements. Unless, when using that variant, you also say that improvements can be placed on plots with 0 or 1 bamboo (and no other existing improvement).[...]

What? You can't place improvements on irrigated tiles, no matter how much bamboo is there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Avers
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Painkeeper wrote:
What? You can't place improvements on irrigated tiles, no matter how much bamboo is there.

From the rules: (emphasis added by me) "Improvements can only be added to plots where bamboo has not yet grown (this means plots which were just placed, plots which are not irrigated, and plots where the Panda has just eaten everything!)". (page 7, Improvements)

Which is the situation, if bamboo bases cannot be eaten, Molokov is talking about (if I'm not mistaken). Though we mostly add improvements during the placement of new tiles, there are cases where it can be useful to add them later if you manage to eat all the bamboo on that tile.

On topic: We haven't yet played with the two mentioned Chibis variants, we don't have the expansion. But it is something we are considering to counter the ease of the Panda objectives early in the game and force a more balanced use of objectives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Burigo
Italy
Belluno
flag msg tools
designer
badge
“Don't try the paranormal until you know what's normal.” - Granny Weatherwax
mbmbmbmbmb
GhundiPI wrote:
Painkeeper wrote:

From the rules: (emphasis added by me) "Improvements can only be added to plots where bamboo has not yet grown (this means plots which were just placed, plots which are not irrigated, and plots where the Panda has just eaten everything!)". (page 7, Improvements)

Which is the situation, if bamboo bases cannot be eaten, Molokov is talking about (if I'm not mistaken). Though we mostly add improvements during the placement of new tiles, there are cases where it can be useful to add them later if you manage to eat all the bamboo on that tile.

On topic: We haven't yet played with the two mentioned Chibis variants, we don't have the expansion. But it is something we are considering to counter the ease of the Panda objectives early in the game and force a more balanced use of objectives.

Oh gosh! You are right! The Italian rulebook states the same thing too.
My entire life has been a lie! blush

Thank you for the heads-up.
By the way, this makes me wonder: among the examples there is the case when "a tile was just placed"; but is there a time to put an improvement on it "before" the first sprout spontaneously grows there because of the tile being placed in a spot where it is automatically irrigated?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.