Twilight Struggle» Forums » Rules

Subject: Twilight Struggle Headline Defcon question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marius n Milan BGGs
South Africa
Stellenbosch
flag msg tools
First play, turn 5: defcon at level 3 after the beginning of turn increase. During headline phase, USSR plays 'We will bury you' card, while US plays Duck and Cover. USSR card resolved first due to 4 Ops number, degrades defcon one level to 2. Thereafter US card degrades defcon another, fatal, level. Result is Nuclear war and US loses??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Gambetti
Italy
Bolzano
flag msg tools
designer
And plastic for the Plastic Throne!
badge
No! This is not a board game, but Stanislao Moulinsky in one of his best disguises!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes!

I won my very first Twilight game with this combination!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karan R
India
Mumbai
flag msg tools
It's Karan, not Karen!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes
Check twilightstrategy.com for a list of cards which could cause defcon suicide in headlines
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marius n Milan BGGs
South Africa
Stellenbosch
flag msg tools
Thank you for the quick replies! Wow, I LOVE this game. A very surprising end to my first game though...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy Rodgers
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
Yeah, if you notice there's actually 3 straight upright DEFCON degraders like this in the game, and the "trump" passes from side to side.

In Early War "Duck & Cover", D&C can always be played safely in the Early War on the Headline without starting Nuclear War. US has the DEFCON "trump".

In Mid-War "We Will Bury You!" comes out, WWBY can be played safely on the headline. D&C is now dangerous because of the threat of WWBY. USSR has the DEFCON "trump"

In Late War "Soviets Shoot Down KAL-007", now goes before WWBY, making WWBY risky in the Late War. "Trump" passes back to US.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Canada
Candiac
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UglyMug wrote:
Yeah, if you notice there's actually 3 straight upright DEFCON degraders like this in the game, and the "trump" passes from side to side.

In Early War "Duck & Cover", D&C can always be played safely in the Early War on the Headline without starting Nuclear War. US has the DEFCON "trump".

In Mid-War "We Will Bury You!" comes out, WWBY can be played safely on the headline. D&C is now dangerous because of the threat of WWBY. USSR has the DEFCON "trump"

In Late War "Soviets Shoot Down KAL-007", now goes before WWBY, making WWBY risky in the Late War. "Trump" passes back to US.

Olympic Games is also a risky headline.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.