Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
chris saman
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
my game group has increased to five regulars. Sadly my games with five is limited, played el grande last night with five and while the board was tight, we ended up calling it quits after second scoring.

Can you recommend a game that plays well with five, quick turns, quickish playtime (around 90 min), euro or ameritrash, player interaction (but not too mean). Should have very little down time or something to do between turns. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Perez
United States
Garland
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Corporate America- a satire on American politics relationship with businesses.
Deadwood Studios USA- a cheapass game, but very light dice rolling game. You are actor trying to get a job and earn the most victory points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil McIntyre
United Kingdom
Chesterfield
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Tammany Hall sounds like it could work. Speedy euro, with player interaction and diplomacy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris saman
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tammany might work...some one in my group already has it...his partner thinks it's too mean and is hesitant to play it. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Sachs
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Despite your hope, there is not even any inherent symbolism; gravity is simply a coincidence.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hansa Teutonica
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil McIntyre
United Kingdom
Chesterfield
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
csaman wrote:
Tammany might work...some one in my group already has it...his partner thinks it's too mean and is hesitant to play it. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Try and get them to view like chess

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keng Leong Yeo
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
aka Uncle
badge
小富靠勤,中富靠智,大富靠德。
mbmbmbmbmb
I came in to recommend Modern Art. It plays in about an hour or even less once all players know the rules well, has high player interaction and low downtime. We have played it with 3, 4 and 5 players and I personally find the 5-player game the best. It seems to tick all the boxes that you have listed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete C
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
We've just discovered Mare Nostrum: Empires. It plays 5 in about 90 minutes. Been a big hit with our game group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quantum Jack
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Space Alert would be perfect with 5 if you like coops.

Codenames is a fun team game for any player count 4+. It is more of a filler, but worth mentioning.

Rex/Dune is best at 6, but is still wonderful at 5. Unfortunately it usually goes over your time. Still should be an option.

Sputnik is a sweet little abstract for up to 6.

If you want more coop suggestions:
Galaxy Defenders
Space Hulk: Death Angel
Yggdrasil (supposed to be really hard with more players)

5 is also a good level for most 1 vs. many style games (overlord type)

Edited to add: SPYRIUM!
Dont know how I forgot to include my favorite 5player euro.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Great Falls
Virginia
flag msg tools
Medici and Linko! for a lighter choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Annemarie Post
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Isle of Skye: From Chieftain to King and The Staufer Dynasty are two games I really love playing with five.

Isle of Skye is very easy to learn and play. Plays very fast as well, as long as players aren't too AP prone. The different scoring every game makes for a very fun game.

Staufer is meatier and perhaps a bit over the 90 minutes you want. Though every turn there are only two actions you can take, the order in which you do these in a round and smart use of the tiles/cards that give you extra possibilities makes it very thinky.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Selkirk
Canada
Truro
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
STOCK TICKER by Canada Games is a lot of fun. All players are involved all the time, trading and buying, selling. You set the time limit, which works very well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnson
Canada
St.John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
designer
“Brothers, oh brothers, my days here are done, the Dornishman’s taken my life, But what does it matter, for all men must die, and I’ve tasted the Dornishman’s wife!”
badge
"Oak and iron guard me well, or else I'm dead and doomed to hell." - Andal proverb.
mbmbmbmbmb
Dark Moon might work well for your group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always keep Istanbul in my box for just that purpose.

Another one that I really like is Mission: Red Planet (Second Edition)

And, if you like worker placement and guns then Carson City: Big Box is terrific, especially at 4 or 5.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Boulder
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The classics of Power Grid and Puerto Rico and Eclipse are great with five (Eclipse would be longer). Also Battalestar Galactica shines brightest with five, though it's longer and has more down time (but that time provides opportunity for planning and subterfuge!).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ticket to Ride
Bananagrams
For Sale
Incan Gold
7 Wonders
Notre Dame
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
when i get home, i'm so tired
badge
just roll over, please. i'm so tired. just roll over, please. i'm so tired.
mb
A Study in Emerald (second edition)
Blood Rage (with 5 player expansion)
Caylus

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Cohn
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
+1 for Puerto Rico
+1 for 7 Wonders

Ra is about an hour.
Amun-Re is great. Closer to 2 hours.
Evo (I like the older version better) is probably 90 min. Great fun.
Aladdin's Dragons isn't too mean, but is hard to predict with 5 players.

On the short side:
Qwixx
No Thanks!
6 nimmt!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Cohn
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Forgot...
+1 for Notre Dame. Great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Blomquist
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Hansa Teutonica

Also surprised no one's said Concordia. It might be a bit longer than 90 minutes, but not by much I'd say.

Both are great games, easy to learn, with very quick, simple turns, but there's a good amount of game in both. I also have the problem of ending up with five players more often than I'd like, but these are both great solutions.

Honorable mention to Navegador, which I like slightly less than these other two, but it's still very good and plays five.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Greer
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll add Chinatown to the mix. This is a favorite of ours. It handles 5 fine, definitely has player interaction/negotiation, doesn't get *too* unfriendly.

As for playing time, once you get the hang of it, it moves along at a quick clip and has an arbitrary end after 6 rounds. I'd say 90 minutes is about right. The only thing that bogs it down is if one or two players get into an impasse-type situation in their negotiations. However, you can choose to set a time limit of some sort on the negotiation phase, which many people I've played with advocate anyway. You can also easily decide to play 5 rounds instead of 6, if you need to shorten the length a little bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mat Thorne
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
Anny48 wrote:
Isle of Skye: From Chieftain to King and The Staufer Dynasty are two games I really love playing with five.

Isle of Skye is very easy to learn and play. Plays very fast as well, as long as players aren't too AP prone. The different scoring every game makes for a very fun game.

+1 for Isle of Sky

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
There's no simple explanation for anything important any of us do, and yeah the human tragedy consists of the necessity of living with the consequences, under pressure, under pressure. -Courage (For Hugh Maclennan): The Tragically Hip
badge
We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream. -Gift Shop: The Tragically Hip
mbmbmbmbmb
I highly recommend 1812: The Invasion of Canada. It's a very easy to get into wargame. It plays up to 5 (and 5 is the best number). Turns are quickish, but since it's two teams: British Regulars, Canadian Militia, and Natives, vs. American Regulars, and American Militia all players are always invested in what is going on. It's my favourite game, and I couldn't urge you strongly enough to try it out!

I love mine so much, I had to trick out the pieces. Take a look:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris saman
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the suggestions...some were on my radar, some I didn't expect. Got some readin to do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.