Popular Tags: [View All]
Vincenzo Beretta
Italy
Milan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yesterday we played our first mission, the tutorial. I was the Imperial player, and I placed my Heavy Gunner so to cover one of the two doors. After a while a Hero just opened the door and aced him.

"Ah, well", I thought, "the opportunity fire rules must be in the missing section..."

Except that they weren't - or, at least, I wasn't able to find them (I still have to read the Skirmish rules, though).

Anyway, IMHO it makes no sense that in a tactical miniature/wargame there is no OF. A dude is tasked to cover a (door/chocke point/his allies...); his weapon is ready, he still has not acted, and he is only waiting for an enemy to act... only to get swarmed. It makes no sense.

I'm reading something wrong? Or this is really the way (no OF) Imperial Assault is meant to be played?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, there is no opportunity fire. Imperial assault is more like a dungeon crawl than a miniature wargame. Some characters/units have a special skill that allows them to fire on a given trigger. In Skirmish some Command Cards may allow similar stuff.

I'm sorry that you bought this game with wrong expectations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next total solar eclipse holiday in 2017 in the USA.
mbmbmbmbmb
There are alternating activations and the out-of-activation abilities are kept to minimum. The heroes - Jyn Odan - has Quick Draw.

The mechanisms and ideology is just different to what you have been used to.

For example in Aftermath the opportunity fire comes in the form of the E-Web Engineer, who can activate after the hero who opened the door has finished his/her activation (of two actions).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincenzo Beretta
Italy
Milan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Locu wrote:

I'm sorry that you bought this game with wrong expectations.

I didn't buy it: a friend did. laugh I'm reading the rules on my iPad.

Regarding the expectations, I can say that we actually had a blast playing, and that IA is everything that we expected for it to be. However, I must say that the absence of a rule which does exists in almost every tactical game I know of, not to mention in all the RPGs I play, is catching me flat footed. Really, it simply makes no sense.

Ah, well, we will change the way we play, then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Reckall wrote:
However, I must say that the absence of a rule which does exists in almost every tactical game I know of, not to mention in all the RPGs I play, is catching me flat footed. Really, it simply makes no sense.

Well the RPGs I prefer don't have rules at all and with the others I play it's on the discretion of the GM (Yes, I don't like D&D). Also I don't play miniature or other wargames, so I have never missed it and I think you are the first to ask this question regarding IA.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aron R
United States
Ashburn
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To simulate opportunity fire, place the E-web further back. It naturally has a +3 accuracy, and is likely to roll a few more, so you can still cover the door/hallway/etc by being able to out-range the opposition as they move up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The action takes place in a galaxy far away and long ago and the laws of physics were different then and there?

Fortune favors the bold player who knows the rules better than the opponent.

Time flies like an arrow; Fruit flies like a banana.

I also wanted an OpFire rule. Let us know what you come up with and how it works out. It WILL change the feel of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Fanjoy
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Opinion: Allowing "opportunity fire" to all units tends to ruin the pacing of a game, as the strategy becomes all about waiting rather than actually doing things. I prefer the more action-oriented combat of Imperial Assault as published.

If you want a limited amount of opportunity fire in your Imperial Assault, you can find it in a few heroes (Jyn Odan, Loku Kanoloa), skirmish command cards (Parting Blow, maybe others?), and campaign mission rules (redacted).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When IA was released there was quite a bit of discussions about, cover, los, movement and other percieved deficiencies in the game.

I suppose that by now players who like the game the way it is are the majority of people contributing to this forum. Players who didn't dig it have moved on. The version of IA my son and i play is so houseruled at this point it's barely IA anymore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next total solar eclipse holiday in 2017 in the USA.
mbmbmbmbmb
Cracky wrote:
When IA was released there was quite a bit of discussions about, cover, los, movement and other percieved deficiencies in the game.

Which movement deficiencies?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincenzo Beretta
Italy
Milan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
martimer wrote:
The action takes place in a galaxy far away and long ago and the laws of physics were different then and there?

Well, no At the beginning of Ep. IV, when the Imperial Stormtroopers board the Blockade Runner the Rebels are waiting for them and they open fire the very moment the first trooper comes through the door. And the battle for Princess Leia ship could very well be a scenario for IA!

Anyway, we are all experienced players: next time we will replay the tutorial scenario "by the book" (we also made some mistakes in applying the rules). Then it wouldn't be difficult to come up for a rule for OF if we feel the need (I already thought of a very simple one).

However, I also guess that the victory conditions for a given scenario are balanced for the game as it is, so we would need to experiment a bit. Luckily, as I said, we had a blast with the rest of the game, so I don't think we will discard it over a single rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Reckall wrote:
martimer wrote:

Well, no At the beginning of Ep. IV, when the Imperial Stormtroopers board the Blockade Runner the Rebels are waiting for them and they open fire the very moment the first trooper comes through the door.

For all the good it did them...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
with alternating activations, it goes a long way to allow firing before a unit acted, its not like all units on a side act first before any enemies can return fire.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeppe Nybo
Netherlands
Haarlem
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Reckall wrote:
At the beginning of Ep. IV, when the Imperial Stormtroopers board the Blockade Runner the Rebels are waiting for them and they open fire the very moment the first trooper comes through the door.

Which, by the way, is beautifully implemented in the abilities of the Rebel Troopers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:
Cracky wrote:

Which movement deficiencies?

Moving right through an enemy for two MP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david appleton
Australia
flag msg tools

I urge you to move on from the tutorial and dive into the game proper. The tutorial is missing many of the better aspects of the game.

daa
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.