Popular Tags: [View All]
Moose Detective
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
Gloomhaven
badge
Is it a moose that became a detective ? Or a detective who searches for moose?
mbmb
Is it common knowledge that most of them are named after New York Mets? Why is there no Dykstra?

(Mike) Piazza
(Howard) Johnson
(Keith) Hernandez
(Dave) Kingman
Rusty Staub (this one isn't even hidden)
(Ron) Darling
(Tommy) Agee
(David) Wright
and a double - Doc (Gooden and Tom) Seaver
potentialy (Ron) Hunt
(Mike) Schmidt (of the Phillies? but I can see this being a grudging respect for a divisional rival thing)

Like, ew? My sensibilities have been offended. The Mets? Seriously? gulp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian C
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And thus the urban legend linking DotZ and American Baseball was born.

I even think I see a baseball diamond hidden behind the layout of Farmingdale.

(Kidding)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Exo Desta wrote:
And thus the urban legend linking DotZ and American Baseball was born.

I even think I see a baseball diamond hidden behind the layout of Farmingdale.

(Kidding)

There's a more overt diamond reference in the game .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HERMANN LUTTMANN
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, Moose Detective has his Sherlock Holmes hat firmly on his head! Indeed, I am a life-long Mets fan and when searching for names, I went "there". The first was Sheriff Hunt, named after my boyhood idol Ron Hunt. There are only two exceptions to the rule - Pickles (of course) and Deputy Schmidt (my current girlfriend's maiden name when she was my old girlfriend in high school 40+ years ago ... yes, it's one of those stories). Now remember, this naming thing only applied to the first two editions. The third edition had new Heroes added, many of which I had nothing to do with and thus they did not follow the pattern.

But thanks for noticing and mentioning it!

Hermann
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian DiLuzio
United States
Andover
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They are only the greatest names in board game history!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As a Cardinals fan I think my hyperbole detector just started pinging.whistle

As a baseball fan for 45+ years, I think there are plenty of heroes to go around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moose Detective
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
Gloomhaven
badge
Is it a moose that became a detective ? Or a detective who searches for moose?
mbmb
HORST324 wrote:
Well, Moose Detective has his Sherlock Holmes hat firmly on his head! Indeed, I am a life-long Mets fan and when searching for names, I went "there". The first was Sheriff Hunt, named after my boyhood idol Ron Hunt. There are only two exceptions to the rule - Pickles (of course) and Deputy Schmidt (my current girlfriend's maiden name when she was my old girlfriend in high school 40+ years ago ... yes, it's one of those stories). Now remember, this naming thing only applied to the first two editions. The third edition had new Heroes added, many of which I had nothing to do with and thus they did not follow the pattern.

But thanks for noticing and mentioning it!

Hermann

Am I really the first person to call you on this? I know board gamers have an aversion to sports I never quite understood, but surely there were some other sports fans or NYers or both?

Boardgamers everywhere - I am disappoint.

But I'm glad my detective skills are up to snuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HERMANN LUTTMANN
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve - believe it or not most haven't noticed, or at least have not bothered to mention it publicly.

Martin- I'm a huge baseball fan ... period. If you design a game with characters named after great Cardinals (including Hernandez, of course!) I'll be a customer and enjoy all the references.

Herm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HORST324 wrote:
Steve - believe it or not most haven't noticed, or at least have not bothered to mention it publicly.

Martin- I'm a huge baseball fan ... period. If you design a game with characters named after great Cardinals (including Hernandez, of course!) I'll be a customer and enjoy all the references.

Herm
Heh, I started out an Oakland A's fan, so no Hernandez in my games! Also, I am a better player than designer (and my development skills are weak) so your money is safe from me - Which is interesting because some of your money came from my wallet!

I have started on three different baseball simulations but never found a way to represent the player in the games as a manager in a satisfactory manner. Also, entering all the data was WAAAAY less entertaining than just playing something already out there. The cheapest set of "pre-entered" data was about $800 more than I wanted to spend and then there were licensing fees...

There was this one "states of siege: Catcher" game idea...whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HERMANN LUTTMANN
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
"There was this one "states of siege: Catcher" game idea"

Ha! That's brilliant ... well played!

Herm

P.S. - I feel your pain regarding designing a "new" baseball game. You saw the results of my ill-fated attempt with "High & Tight".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Betz
United States
Hamburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Being a Philadelphia Phillies fan I will not be as sad now when my heroes are eaten by the Zeds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raph Moimoi
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And the dog... Pickles.. don't tell me it comes from Mr Pickles arrrh arrrh
http://www.adultswim.com/videos/mr-pickles/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.