Old School Tactical» Forums » Rules

Subject: Melee rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Atila The Hun
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Hi, looking for a little help if I may. We're having a great time playing but we keep looking at Melee and thinking what are we doing wrong! It feels awkward.
If a single unit is defending and its hex is entered by two enemy units and a leader. I get you can pick one of the two to attack but do you only count that units defence or all of them and any hits are only allocate to the unit you specified?
I'm taking it the defence value on a leader ie 4 is only used when they are on their own?

We could do with a playbook style down load or similar with a few turns played out, that we can shuffle along with our counters on our boards, following what is happening. I'm sure then some other bits were confused with will all become as clear. Anyone up for writing a blow by blow account of a simple skirmish so us in our confused time of life can follow along with please :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shayne Logan
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Atila,

First off, correct on the Leaders defence of 4 when on their own. In a Melee, the Leader has a Defense of 1 and a FP of 1.

The example you use, say 2 German Rifle squads and a Leader in Melee with a Russian Rifle squad.

Simple on the German side. Add up all the German Firepower,
4 (Squad) + 4 (Squad) + 1 (Leader) + 2 (Melee modifier) = 11 Total Firepower.
Russian has a Defense of 4.
11 FP - 4 Def = +7 (column on ICT) and a +1DRM for having a Leader in Melee.

Russian has a couple of options.

Attack all the German units.
Russian Rifle has a Firepower of 3 +2 (Melee Modifier) = 5 FP.
Add up Defense of all German Units. 4(Squad) + 4(Squad) + 1(Leader) = 9 Def.
5 FP - 9 Def = -4 (column on ICT)
Russian would make 3 separate attack rolls on the -4 column, once against each German unit.

Russian can decide to concentrate his fire against either the single Rifle squad, or the Rifle Squad with the attached Leader. The Defense values of the targeted units only are used in this case.

Against lone Rifle squad.
Russian 3 FP + 2(Melee modifier) = 5 FP.
German Rifle Defense of 4.
5 FP - 4 Def = +1 Column on ICT.
1 attack roll conducted against target only, other Rifle and Leader are not affected.

Against Rifle squad with attached Leader.
Russian 3 FP + 2(Melee modifier) = 5 FP
German Defense of 4 (Squad) + 1(Leader) = 5 Defense.
5 FP - 5 Def = 0 column on the ICT.
2 separate attack rolls are made. 1 against the squad and 1 against the Leader.

Leader Casualty rolls used in normal combat are ignored as Leaders are attacked directly in Melee.

I created a youtube video on Melee here. There are also a few other expelling some other things.

https://youtu.be/_1sZFOiyzg0

Hoe you're enjoying the game so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for this thread. I thought I knew how melee worked in this game and I was WRONG. Well, maybe just WRONG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P.
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
Yet while exulting in solitude I became aware of a strange lack. I wished a companion to lie near in the starlight, silent, unmoving, but within touch. For there's fellowship more quiet than solitude, and rightly understood is solitude made perfect.
mbmbmbmbmb
martimer wrote:
Thank you for this thread. I thought I knew melee worked in this game and I was WRONG. Well, maybe just WRONG.

Goodness...Me too! This is extremely helpful. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atila The Hun
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Thank you. I'm glad I was not the only person getting it wrong. Some time the most simplist of things are the hardest to grasp. It's a great game. My biggest problem is I got two copies and my mates are squabbling over who should get the other. Haha.
Can't wait to get to see volume 2.
Mick

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I just read the rules "too fast" (I play a lot of different games) and miss some of the subtleties of the melee rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul O'Dette
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
You guys were not the only ones. I was doing it wrong too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.