Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Rogers
Mexico
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Several time in our game tonight, players pulled this trick: pay money to grab expensive cards, then use Commerce to simply take the money back. This seemed a little out of the spirit of the rule that says you can't buy a card that you put money on this turn (i.e. spending money and immediately regaining it), but we couldn't find an explicit disallowance. I figured that it's a legitimate play, because it takes up some of your actions, but I wanted to make sure before playing again.

Can you use a Commerce action to take back money that you just placed in the market to buy a card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Work as if you live in the early days of a better nation"
mbmbmbmbmb
The Eye wrote:
Can you use a Commerce action to take back money that you just placed in the market to buy a card?

Yes.

Thematic Note: Those that have high power economic assets on their tableau will find that their political capital is considerably more stable than those without. Remember the game is not an engine builder and therefore the cash tends to flow and pool like water. Especially if the regime is Economic Boom, cash will tend to collect with those who have strong ties to business.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rogers
Mexico
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cole Wehrle wrote:
Thematic Note: Those that have high power economic assets on their tableau will find that their political capital is considerably more stable than those without. Remember the game is not an engine builder and therefore the cash tends to flow and pool like water. Especially if the regime is Economic Boom, cash will tend to collect with those who have strong ties to business.

Regarding Economic Boom, that is the exact argument I made with the group. It's not just "the economy's okay," it's "the economy is BOOMING." So, if you have 6 stars worth of Commerce actions during an economic boom, you can kind of spend your money with without being careful... Now I know for sure, though. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Work as if you live in the early days of a better nation"
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup. I'll add too that it's worth remembering that the scale of the game is 1 year per turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.