Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Austin Andersen
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why Wiz-War Zombie and not Zombie Wiz-war? Because the game plays more like Wiz-War (eighth edition) than it does Zombie Dice. In fact, the zombie theme is more or less nonexistent. What remains and is used are the dice.

For those of you that don't know - Zombie Dice comes with 13D6: 6 green, 4 yellow, and 3 red. The green dice have 3 sides with a brain, 2 sides, with footsteps and 1 side with a blast symbol. The yellow has 2 of each: brains, footsteps, and blasts. The red has 3 blasts, 2 footsteps and 1 brain.

I have found that these dice are perfect for my Wiz-War variant. I have repurposed/rethemed them to be the dice I use for Wiz-War. I own 5 copies of Zombie Dice, so each player gets their own set of dice; however, it should be possible to use 1 set of dice which is passed around between all players, provided that something is used to track unused blast rolls.

On a turn, a player has access to all 13 dice, from which he must choose to roll 9 dice out of the 13. Footsteps count as 1 movement. There is no set base movement, instead the base movement is usually 3, due to probability, but because dice are involved, this number will vary from turn to turn.

There is a Wiz-War card that makes base movement 2 for all players. This is handled by subtracting one footstep roll whenever a player rolls. As the expected base is 3, to make it 2 one must subtract 1. There is also a card that makes base movement greater by 1 for the person holding a certain item. In this instance, the player just adds 1 to their total for footsteps rolled that turn.

Each blast symbol allows a player to cast 1 spell. Players are still limited to 1 attack spell per turn; however, an extra attack may be earned should a player roll 6+ blasts. Players may save unused blast symbols to use beyond their turn, allowing them to cast counter spells on another players turn. All spells require a blast die at the time of casting in order to be cast. Energy cards do not count as a spell, thus they do not require a blast die when they are used.

Each player has access to 1 school of magic that is their own personal school. Rolling 5 brains allows a player to discard 1 card from their hand and then draw 1 card from their own personal school of magic. I play with a variant where all players have a common deck that they draw from normally, made up of 3 schools of magic and a set of cantrip cards. 6+ brains allows players to draw first then discard.

Normal energy cards no longer allow a player to boost movement, at least not directly. Players may now use the normal energy cards to re-roll up to x amount of dice where x is the value of the energy card, or they may use them to power up spell cards like usual. When a player chooses to re-roll up to x dice, he/she may swap those dice out for dice left over in their remaining dice pool.

I don't expect this expansion/variant to work for everyone especially those that detest dice, but for those that were looking for alternate ways to nerf the movement enhancing ability of the energy cards as well as the over abundance of counter spells, this expansion/variant does so quite well. An element of push your luck has been added as players may try to roll for 2nd attacks or for a chance to cycle through useless cards in their hand. The game has also become a bit more strategic as players now have to plan for using counter attack spells.

This expansion/variant doesn't disrupt the flow of the game very much as the decisions are usually pretty simple. Players have to choose wisely when selecting which dice they want to use for a round and may spend a moment thinking about whether they want to push their luck in certain moments, but for the most part the flow of the game should be left largely undisturbed. When creating this variant, I wanted to preserve the quick pace of the game without bogging it down too much with AP inducing moments.

With this expansion/variant the game feels almost like a more spatial version of King of Tokyo with less re-rolling. I encourage anyone with a copy of Zombie Dice laying around to give it a go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Coniff
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
"Behold, a treasure more valuable than gold."
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellently written and well thought out.

I look forward to trying this variant at some point, and furthermore, exploring what other games could be "mixed" with Wiz-War to create a truly unique and personalized experience.

Wiz-War truly is the Calvinball of Board games. With a bit of imagination, you can come up with a game that is entirely your own and just as fun as the game right out of the box.

Thank you for the variant!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Andersen
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WisdomForWizards wrote:
Excellently written and well thought out.

I look forward to trying this variant at some point, and furthermore, exploring what other games could be "mixed" with Wiz-War to create a truly unique and personalized experience.

Wiz-War truly is the Calvinball of Board games. With a bit of imagination, you can come up with a game that is entirely your own and just as fun as the game right out of the box.

Thank you for the variant!

Looking over my collection, I'm considering mixing components from Wazabi into Wiz-War. I will need to give it some thought. The game comes with 24 dice; each die has a W on 3 sides, 2 sides with a card, and 1 side with a cube on it.

Another game I have thought about integrating is Ingenious Challenges as it has dice, tokens and cards that could be used. As well as a pegboard.

The reason these other games haven't been added in yet is because I can't think of a clever enough way to integrate it into Wiz-War without ruining the flow of the game. More is not always better. I don't want to add, just for the sake of adding. The flow of the game should not suffer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Coniff
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
"Behold, a treasure more valuable than gold."
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea of adding dice to the game, and as of yet, I still haven't had a chance to try your zombie dice variant (I don't own a copy of Zombie Dice, so that's what's causing the hold up). I have Escape: The Curse of the Temple and that has some unique dice that might be useable in Wiz-War.

Aside from that, I'm still convinced I can combine both Ghost Stories and Wiz-War together. I will work on that after the holidays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.