Hide
8 Posts

Star Wars: Imperial Assault» Forums » General

Subject: Rebel Group for Hoth rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Leland Martel
msg tools
So, my group has played through the Core Campaign, with me as the IP. We actually called it a bit early, as to avoid the Rebel's becoming too demoralized (and not me not realizing how mean Subversive Tactics is). We still want to keep on with the game, so we have decided to give Hoth a go, as we have heard many positive comments about it.

One of the things we are hoping to do is not reuse any of the Rebels we have already used. In this case, that means Gideon, Diala, Gaarkhan, and Fenn.

So, with that in mind, the group we are looking at for this campaign is:

Biv
Jyn
Davith
Verena

However, looking at this make up, we are lacking a strong support. Now, this is where things get tricky. Our player using Biv is not a huge gamer, and I am disinclined to suggest he play a different hero. Myself and the other experienced player are okay with Jyn. That leaves Davith and Verena that are up for exchange. Would it be worth while to replace one of them with a more support oriented character (I am thinking MHD-19).

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next total solar eclipse holiday in 2017 in the USA.
mbmbmbmbmb
You would have 3 melee-focused characters (Davith, Verena and Biv). Jyn is fast and good at tech, but fairly fragile.

MHD-19 would probably be useful in patching up the other heroes when they get bruised in the thick and thin of battle.

I personally prefer just one melee-focused character, but I have played solo one-off missions with totally random heroes as well, and as long as you optimize the synergies of the group and emphasize the roles each hero is best suited for, the end result will be fun to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeppe Nybo
Netherlands
Haarlem
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm with Pasi on having too many melee characters, and would add that no only do you miss a support character (you can, though, do without, but it will be more challenging) and with Jyn likely being focused on pistols your single ranged Hero might not get as much accuracy as some of the other ranged characters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leland Martel
msg tools
I agree completely on the point of too many melee heroes. It is a shame, as in this campaign I got the opportunity to play two rebels, and really wanted to run both Davith and Verena. What I had not expected was Biv to be chosen as well.

I guess what it comes down to is what does both Verena and Davith bring to the table? I know Verena is very capable of moving through and destroying groups of Imperials, while Davith seems to be adept at moving to objectives, and bursting damage onto key targets.

I have to admit, I am leaning towards keeping Davith and swapping Verena for MHD-19, but this is more due to the fact it seems wrong to not have a Jedi in the campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kiwi Kerel
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi! I'm planning to start my first Return to Hoth campaign next weekend and we are currently considering these four heroes:

MHD-19
Verena
Murne Rin
Loku

Do you think this is do-able. Or would we never make it to the finish line with so many support units?

Thanks for the feedback!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
You should be just fine. MHD and Murne can take offensive upgrades instead of supporting ones if you feel like you need a damage dealing boost. I think Murne and Verena have some nice interaction right from the start too with the diplomat's pistol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Garrett
msg tools
Kiwidekerel wrote:
Hi! I'm planning to start my first Return to Hoth campaign next weekend and we are currently considering these four heroes:

MHD-19
Verena
Murne Rin
Loku

Do you think this is do-able. Or would we never make it to the finish line with so many support units?

Thanks for the feedback!

I personally would probably avoid having Murne and MHD both in the same campaign- I've done it before, and while it's okay, it'll mean you'll really be relying on Verena and Loku for damage support. Loku himself is sort of halfway between a support character and damage dealer himself, which isn't ideal. If you're set on Murne and MHD, I'd probably replace Loku with Mak, to fill a similar role but keep your damage output up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
I just recently ran a Hoth campaign as the IP against Loku, Verena, MHD, and Biv.

I found Loku to be a great damage dealer. The beginning damage isn't great, but he can add a damage to each attack if controlled well. That really is huge with early guns.

Later when Loku had a strong gun, he was a beast. By mid-game, Loku could always get rid of as much threat as I could put down from the threat level if he had two shots and possibly more. With his range, he often does get two attacks in.

Anyway, I see Loku as great against single targets. Verena is good against groups. MHD can keep the team alive and useful. Murne has some good support abilities and can really help the team with tests (which that team needs help with).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.