Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Cantor
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To confirm my understanding, and assuming I have Rendezvous tech...

If I want to bring a sample back from, say, Venus, I can leave rockets for the return trip in orbit, send a probe down with return rockets for "free" (due to the atmo), separate the probe, collect a sample, attach the sample to the return rockets, launch, and attach the sample to the return rockets to bring it back.

All without an astronaut, so totally with robotics. Pretty advanced robotics for 1970, that's why I'm questioning it. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
That is all correct. Rocket+sample, or sample alone, is a viable spacecraft.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rus
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i think that doing that would still be easier in real-life 1970 than putting a man on the moon, if there was a good reason to do a Venus sample return. I don't have the cards in front of me, but I think that the point value of a sample return mission from Venus is comparable to or even higher than man on the moon. If Venus had valuable samples or life, then we may have had a Venus sample return race irl instead of a moon race, and there would have been a lot of investment into robotics in the 1960s instead of life support (or both). If Venus is not landable in the game (basically the real life scenario), then Venus sample return missions do not exist. In all cases the game seems consistent with whatever alternate reality you randomly get.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ziemek
Poland
Poznań
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Firedrake wrote:
Rocket+sample, or sample alone, is a viable spacecraft.

I was pretty sure, that having probe/capsule/healty astronauts is necessery to bring back sample on Earth. Are you absolutely sure?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Fatula
United States
San Jose?
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Niekumaty wrote:
Firedrake wrote:

I was pretty sure, that having probe/capsule/healty astronauts is necessery to bring back sample on Earth. Are you absolutely sure?

You need a working probe, working capsule, or healthy astronaut to collect a sample.

To complete a sample return mission, you need to bring a sample back to Earth.

There is no requirement to bring the probe/capsule/astronaut back in order to complete the mission.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Manning
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Niekumaty wrote:
Firedrake wrote:

Yes. Those are only needed to collect samples. Once you have a sample it can be treated just like any other component.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.