$20.00
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.npr.org/2016/07/30/488051071/trump-responds-to-sl...

Quote:
In one of the most powerful moments at the Democratic National Convention, a Muslim father of a fallen U.S. soldier took the stage with his wife beside him and spoke directly to Donald Trump.

That father, Khizr Khan, condemned the Republican presidential nominee for proposing a ban on Muslims entering the United States.

"Let me ask you, have you even read the United States Constitution? I will gladly lend you my copy," he asked Trump, pulling a copy of the document out of his suit coat. "Look for the words 'liberty' and 'equal protection of law.'"

Khan's son, Humayun Khan, was an Army captain. In 2004, the 27-year-old was killed by a suicide bomber in Iraq after having warned his fellow soldiers to stand back. He was awarded the Bronze Star and Purple Heart posthumously.
Khizr Khan, father of Humayun Khan, who was killed while serving in Iraq with the U.S. Army, gestures as his wife looks on during the final evening of the Democratic National Convention.
Politics
WATCH: Muslim Father Of Fallen Soldier Tells Trump 'You Have Sacrificed Nothing'

Khan told Trump that Arlington cemetery is filled with soldiers of "all faiths, genders and ethnicities."

"You have sacrificed nothing and no one," Khan said.

Trump has now responded.

In an interview with New York Times columnist Maureen Dowd Friday night, Trump didn't zero in on Khan's accusations but rather on his wife, Ghazala Khan, who stood beside her husband silently. His response to Dowd was brief.

"I'd like to hear his wife say something," Trump said.

Trump expanded on that sentiment in an interview with ABC News Saturday.

There comes a time in the history of a nation where an ethical, moral stand has to be taken regardless of the political cost.

Khizr Khan, in a plea to Paul Ryan and Mitch McConnell

"If you look at his wife, she was standing there," Trump said. "Maybe she wasn't allowed to have anything to say, you tell me."

In an interview on MSNBC the previous night, Ghazala Khan explained why she chose to remain silent on stage.

"I cannot see my son's picture. I cannot even come in the room where his pictures are," she said. "That's why when I saw the picture on my back, I couldn't take it and I controlled myself at that time. So, it is very hard."

Her husband added that she served as his "coach" while writing the speech and said she gave him the strength to speak on stage.

...(link for more)

Trump...

Keepin it classy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jesus Christ, is there nothing the man will not insult.

This family gave their son for the nation he wants to make great, but then this is the party of draft dodgers who mock decorated veterans, why are you surprised?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pontifex Maximus
United States
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:

This family gave their son for the nation he wants to make great, but then this is the party of draft dodgers who mock decorated veterans, why are you surprised?

He also managed to state that he made "sacrifices" as well. Seems like being rich is somehow a "sacrifice" if you are providing jobs. His words by the way.

What a miserable excuse of a human being he is
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kumitedad wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

He also managed to state that he made "sacrifices" as well. Seems like being rich is somehow a "sacrifice" if you are providing jobs. His words by the way.

Sadly I think he rally is the real face of the GOP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
Kumitedad wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

He's really not. But he is the real face of some people who make up about 1/3 of the GOP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Sandy Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The thing is, Trump says and does shit like a large part of the everyday people still do. So he appeals to the "everyman." So many of the things Trump does, that you guys flip out about on here, regular people agree with. Or at least white hetero males. The problem is they aren't enough of them anymore to win a general election. But if a candidate doesn't cater to them, they can't win the Republican nomination, lol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Kumitedad wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

He's really not. But he is the real face of some people who make up about 1/3 of the GOP.
Yet he won the nomination. So either he represents the real face of the party (and it in fact those Republicans who do not support him who are in the minority) or there really is something so wrong and dysfunctional with the GOP that it no longer serves a function.

Sorry but I have to think that those Republicans who used to say "this is not our party" were either being willfully blind or are very foolish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trump's a fucking jerk.

What a miserable comment from him on this issue. The man has no sense of decency whatsoever. Whatever the definition of "presidential demeanor" is, Trump is certainly the polar opposite of that definition.

I'm no historian of the Republican Party, but I have to believe that Trump's nomination has to represent the all time low point for that party. While I've always been registered as a Democrat, I've voted for the Republican nominee for president several times in my life (Reagan, Bush the Junior (once), McCain, and even Romney), but there's no way in hell I could cast my vote for this asshole.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the manatee
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My pet theory is that he didn't really want the nomination or the job, but was in it just for the self-promotion (like in 2012). But then things snowballed out of control and he took off in popularity. I think that then encouraged him to say one outrageous thing after another (either in an attempt at sabotaging his own campaign--which obviously hasn't worked--or out of a sense of "How far can I go with this?"). At times, it's like a performance art piece.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember when people thought Bill Clinton was low class without the comportment due a presidential candidate. Trump makes Bill Clinton look like the embodiment of decorum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris R.
United States
Unspecified
Missouri
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Trump Can't Mock Disability, But Obama Did, and Media Yawned

"...the 2008 Obama campaign had aired a commercial (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdIlzAyueow) that mocked Senator John McCain for not using a computer or e-mail. Ignoring this Boston Globe story on McCain's physical disabilities because of his time as a Vietnam POW. Reported the Globe:

'McCain's severe war injuries prevent him from combing his hair, typing on a keyboard, or tying his shoes.'

...Joe Biden finally manned up and told Katie Couric on CBS that the ad was 'terrible.'

Senator Bob Dole ... badly injured in World War II, losing the complete use of his right arm... The Nation not only mocked Dole's disability but claimed it to be 'self-inflicted', adding that his self-inflicted 'war record is considerably less than awe-inspiring.'...

Which brings us back to Donald Trump and the 'outrage' from the Times over the supposed 'mocking' of reporter Kovaleski's disability. The outrage is phony. A fraud. After the Obama ad mocking McCain's disabilities was aired, the paper expressed not outrage but admiration.

...They are so concerned about sexual harassment they demand Clarence Thomas be denied a seat on the Supreme Court. But an allegation of rape against Bill Clinton along with numerous charges from women of sexual harassment are no big deal. Wall Street is full of crooks financing the GOP but Hillary’s Wall Street cash is no bother. There must be a woman president or vice president but they trash Sarah Palin. Latinos are the future but Ted Cruz and Marco Rubio are not."

http://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/nb/jeffrey-lord/2015/11/28/...

"I certainly don't expect the media to cover the Obama campaign's lack of decency in their last campaign ad video pointing out John McCain's inability to send emails. There are only two explanations to their insensitivity. Either they are mocking John McCain (and his war-injury inability to use a computer), or they lack in their own abilities on the internet."

http://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/nb/john-stephenson/2008/09/...

MSNBC's Keith Olbermann wringing his hands over (President Obama's) Special Olympics comment:

"...most Americans have bigger things to worry about than whether the president inadvertently offended the athletic prowess of the mentally disabled.

...It's like the president recruited his image handlers from the Special Ol..."

http://gawker.com/5176350/obamas-special-olympics-leno-gaffe

I would include the Joe Biden gaffes, but I don't think there is room...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
North Central Louisiana / No Longer A Resident of the Shreveport/Bossier City Area / Currently I sponsor gaming groups in Monroe & Alexandria, LA.
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

slatersteven wrote:

Some of us are surprised because Trump's latest statements add another layer of disturbing perspective and implications to his prior statements, namely:

1. Donald Trump doesn't consider Senator John McCain to be a genuine war hero because he survived the Vietnam War (i.e. he was captured and did not die in action).

2. Trump alleged that the Hispanic American judge overseeing his Trump University case was from Mexico even though the judge is an American citizen and had indeed been born in the state of Indiana.

Conclusion: Donald Trump doesn't believe that the Arab American soldier killed in action in Iraq is an American war hero because by Trump's reckoning (an extension of the logic of Statements 1 & 2 above), the young man had never been a real American in the first place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the manatee wrote:
My pet theory is that he didn't really want the nomination or the job, but was in it just for the self-promotion (like in 2012). But then things snowballed out of control and he took off in popularity. I think that then encouraged him to say one outrageous thing after another (either in an attempt at sabotaging his own campaign--which obviously hasn't worked--or out of a sense of "How far can I go with this?"). At times, it's like a performance art piece.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chief Slovenly
United States
Burlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
galad2003 wrote:
The thing is, Trump says and does shit like a large part of the everyday people still do. So he appeals to the "everyman." So many of the things Trump does, that you guys flip out about on here, regular people agree with. Or at least white hetero males. The problem is they aren't enough of them anymore to win a general election. But if a candidate doesn't cater to them, they can't win the Republican nomination, lol.

Spouting a bunch of idiotic bullshit about a woman who lost her son in Iraq is Regular Joe behavior?

Amazing... tell me more.

If I push a bus full of handicapped children off a cliff, or maybe beat up a couple of nuns, does that get me to Super Alpha Trump level, or is there something else I have to do, like lie about the whole thing?

This whole incident reminds me of this scene for some reason:

You need many years of therapy, GOP. Many, many, many fucking years of therapy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:
Keepin it classy.

Trump has bad manners. News flash.

But shame on these parents for politicizing their son's death on behalf of a woman who helped send him there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pontifex Maximus
United States
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:
Keepin it classy.

But shame on these parents for politicizing their son's death on behalf of a woman who helped send him there.

They were raising their voice against the religious bigotry of The Donald, by showing the ultimate sacrifice their son made for this county.

You really have to have a degraded value system to assign blame to the victims of bigotry rather than the perpetrators.

Looks like at least some of the conservatives here are bowing down before their new false idol The Donald. Have fun defending his bigotry and hatred the next 100 days. He is about to do for the National GOP, what Pete Wilson and Prop 187 did for the CA State Gop

Thanks for sharing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Sandy Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bbenston wrote:
galad2003 wrote:

Spouting a bunch of idiotic bullshit about a woman who lost her son in Iraq is Regular Joe behavior?

Amazing... tell me more.

If I push a bus full of handicapped children off a cliff, or maybe beat up a couple of nuns, does that get me to Super Alpha Trump level, or is there something else I have to do, like lie about the whole thing?

Speaking out against Muslims is 'regular joe' stuff. Every ISIS attack pushes more people against Muslims. The lib bubble that protects Muslims does not extend everywhere. I could go into just about any bar, strike up a conversation about Muslims and hear people who say shit similar to what Trump says.

I'm just pointing out some of you live in a very isolated bubble and don't get why some people like TRump.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pontifex Maximus
United States
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
galad2003 wrote:
bbenston wrote:
galad2003 wrote:

Amazing... tell me more.

Speaking out against Muslims is 'regular joe' stuff. Every ISIS attack pushes more people against Muslims. The lib bubble that protects Muslims does not extend everywhere. I could go into just about any bar, strike up a conversation about Muslims and hear people who say shit similar to what Trump says.

I'm just pointing out some of you live in a very isolated bubble and don't get why some people like TRump.

People get Trump. He is whipping up mindless hatred against a convenient minority. Really old tactic.

And its not the "lib bubble" that protects Muslims, its called the Bill of Rights. Try not be too dismissive of the rights of others
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
galad2003 wrote:

I don't think that "the problem" is that there aren't enough people who like it when Trump makes fun of a reporter's disability for him to win an election. YMMV.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Classic idiot Trump right here:

Trump wrote:
Mr. Khan who has never met me, has no right to stand in front of millions of people and claim I have never read the Constitution

https://www.donaldjtrump.com/press-releases/setting-the-reco...

Ummm, First Amendment? He might know that if he had read it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chief Slovenly
United States
Burlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The "lib bubble that protects Muslims". Yeah, stupid moms losing their sons in foreign wars (protected by lib bubble mind powers). Stupid Constitution. Stupid sexy Flanders.

This tells me that the GOP is nowhere near rock bottom yet.

Which, in the longer term, is actually bad for America. Incredibly bad. Because clearly the way to get to the top of the heap in Republican primaries is to be the biggest know-nothing idiot.

It's the ultimate reality show where the top prize is to take a giant dump on the entire country (and common sense, and common decency) for... good God, 5 or 6 months.

In the short term, it's really fascinating, because every day brings something new that I'd never thought I'd see in a presidential election. Trump corks off once every 2-3 days, each thing stupider than the last. Political scientists and psychologists are going to be studying GOP party politics for years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pontifex Maximus
United States
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jmilum wrote:
Classic idiot Trump right here:

Trump wrote:
Mr. Khan who has never met me, has no right to stand in front of millions of people and claim I have never read the Constitution

https://www.donaldjtrump.com/press-releases/setting-the-reco...

Ummm, First Amendment? He might know that if he had read it...

Does Trump realize his horrible this makes him look? This is exponentially worse than his slandering the judge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Henkell
United States
Enid
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I appreciate Trump for single-handedly destroying the Republican party. I'm sorry that people are being hurt in the process.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
androidlove wrote:
I appreciate Trump for single-handedly destroying the Republican party. I'm sorry that people are being hurt in the process.

Hey, that's the first non crappy thing you've said. I was expecting something trollish.

Changes my first impression.

I'm sorry people are being hurt in the process too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
North Central Louisiana / No Longer A Resident of the Shreveport/Bossier City Area / Currently I sponsor gaming groups in Monroe & Alexandria, LA.
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

jeremycobert wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:
Keepin it classy.

Since Republican Vice Presidential candidate Mike Pence was a Congressman who voted with the overwhelming majority of Republicans in Congress to authorize the war against Iraq, you couldn't possibly be more disingenuous. Moreover, the Bush/Cheney administration supplied false and misleading information about the Iraqi regime that was not readily perceivable at the time as either false or misleading. That disclosure only came years later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.