Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mathieu Proulx
Canada
La Prairie
Québec
flag msg tools
mb
I realized recently (thanks to TheKeck) that when we were buying power plants, we weren't replacing them in the correct order (20-30 games later).

According to the rules:

If the plants displayed during a bid are:
15 27 29 33 - Actual Market
42 44 46 50 - Future Market

After the bid (#29 is bought), then a new card is drawn (#30 for the example) and the markets rearranged to:
15 27 30 33 - Actual Market
42 44 46 50 - Future Market

Our (Undeliberate) Variant:

Move #42 up to the current market and the new power plant MUST go in the future market.
15 27 33 42 - Actual Market
30 44 46 50 - Future Market

- PROS -
Less luck as you know in advance which power plant other players will be able to bid on

- CONS -
Higher power plants get moved up a bit more quickly.

I'm not sure I'll convert to the real rules...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james napoli
United States
Westwood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
well, while i havent played a ton of PG, i would think that if u continued playing as in ur example, the catch-up mech wouldnt be as effective. While it is commonly a press-ur luck type of situation, oft holding out can result in a better plant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Part of the fun of the 'proper' rules is speculating on whether the next plant drawn will push down that great plant sitting at the bottom of the future market into the current market. Do you buy the not-so-great current plant on auction or do you risk passing and hope the next draw is good?

Still, it's your game - play it how you wish

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathieu Proulx
Canada
La Prairie
Québec
flag msg tools
mb
I think that removing this luck factor enhances the game and allows you to better plan your strategy - it even makes the auction twice as exciting as everyone knows what is the next plant to come up to the current market. I've seen auctions for middle-game plants go for 60-70$.

I think it's a must-try-it-once variant with no drawbacks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Peters Unrau
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stoop76 wrote:
I think that removing this luck factor enhances the game and allows you to better plan your strategy - it even makes the auction twice as exciting as everyone knows what is the next plant to come up to the current market. I've seen auctions for middle-game plants go for 60-70$.

I can actually see two significant drawbacks. Under the current rule set, there is an incentive to buy a mediocre power plant in the current market even when there is a great one that _might_ come in on the next round. If you know it's going to come in, there is zero incentive to gamble that the next power plant drawn will be a low one.

Also, for people who pay attention to fuel type, a lower numbered power plant of the right fuel type would take an extra turn to enter the market which would actually slow down the game while players wait an extra turn to bid on the plant they want, or could potentially penalize players who have a well developed fuel strategy.

Also, as for the idea that this removes luck, all it does is give you a bit more knowledge as to what is coming. The "luck of the draw" is still the same. Expanding the current market to five cards would also give you more information and choice but it doesn't reduce the luck. Unless there is a set order for the card draw or people can look through the stack to see the entire order, at some point a card is drawn without anyone knowing or controlling what it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian
Germany
Hürth
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
I won an Games for Geekgold Lottery with 0.09% Chance of winning. You sure you wanna mess with me?
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd hate to miss the great feeling to know I did everything right by just buying that crappy #20 and not speculating on the next in order #25 as all the others - which finally didn't get into the auction the next two rounds... devil

No one will get me away from the original rules!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dumont Claude
Canada
Montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not a bad variant to the game. We have been playing with the standard rules, and noticed that it was hard to reach the higher scoring plantfo bidding by using the PG official rules. We will have to check that on our next game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Paul Sodusta
United States
Santa Barbara
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ramis wrote:
It's not a bad variant to the game. We have been playing with the standard rules, and noticed that it was hard to reach the higher scoring plantfo bidding by using the PG official rules. We will have to check that on our next game.

The higher scoring plants are saved for Step 3. Maybe you guys aren't playing something right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Flowers

Odenton
Unspecified
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stoop76 wrote:

Now, I've played mostly Funkenschlag instead of Power Grid, but a commonly used variant in our group was simply to keep the top card of the draw stack face up. This was a good way to reduce the "gambling" component.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dumont Claude
Canada
Montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Barkam wrote:
ramis wrote:

The higher scoring plants are saved for Step 3. Maybe you guys aren't playing something right?

Yes we have been playing with the step 3 rule. But one thing that we have experianced in the last games is that we are passing on plant selection when your equal in power and building on money. When you pass the point where you can built on the same city's as your opponent, you end up the game in one turn paying for all the city's and links. That's why the step 3 becomes less of a factor. I do not know if playing that variant would change anything to solve this, but the last 2 player game that we've played, we ended up watching yourself not to make a move on the other that would make him gain control on the power plant control.

I dont know if you've experience this before in two player games, and if there is a way to counter attack this tactic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Paul Sodusta
United States
Santa Barbara
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have never played this game with less than 4 players. I think the game would tend to fall apart with less players. I think this is the main reason you aren't getting the higher power plants. You do not have enough players purchasing power plants to go through the deck to reach them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Browne
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ramis wrote:
Barkam wrote:
ramis wrote:

Yes we have been playing with the step 3 rule. But one thing that we have experianced in the last games is that we are passing on plant selection when your equal in power and building on money. When you pass the point where you can built on the same city's as your opponent, you end up the game in one turn paying for all the city's and links. That's why the step 3 becomes less of a factor. I do not know if playing that variant would change anything to solve this, but the last 2 player game that we've played, we ended up watching yourself not to make a move on the other that would make him gain control on the power plant control.

I dont know if you've experience this before in two player games, and if there is a way to counter attack this tactic.

Are you reducing the deck size appropriately for the number of players in the game?

Actually I'm not quite seeing your point properly.

You pass on buying power plants when you're equal on buildings? Or equal in power plants?

And you get to the point (step 2?) when you can build on other players cities? It is not possible to join ALL cities until step 3 - as you are not allowed to have more than one connection to a city in step 1, and 2 in step 2. Only in step 3 are three people allowed to build in any single city...

Step 3 is a vital part of many players' strategy, unless they choose to end the game early because they are currently leading in power supply, and have a cash surplus somehow. (They either blocked players in *real* good, or bid the opponents up crazy amounts for power supplies...)

-edit- 2 player games has a difference, I suppose - as you only have 21 cities, and you need all connected to win. Yet you still need more powered than the opponent to win, so if they get great power supplies... you need to as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Keck
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stoop76 wrote:
(thanks to TheKeck)

I think I'll stick with the printed rules as it's like pulling teeth for me to even get the occasional game of PG, but if I had people will to play often, I'd try your "variant".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.