6 Posts

Puzzle Strike Shadows» Forums » General

Subject: Just got this: Looking for tips to help us get started. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Vapix
msg tools
mbmbmb
I just bought Shadows as my first Puzzle Strike game because 3rd Edition wasn't available.

My two test games have gone ok, but I've decided choosing characters at random might be a bit too optimistic

Does anyone have suggestions on which characters are easiest to play? (relative power is still irrelevant).

Ditto for the simpler Puzzle Chips. Note that I'm not asking for chips that match specific characters, nor sets of ten that work well together (not yet anyway For now, while I'm still learning the basics, simple(r) is better than balanced or "most effective combos".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Boulder
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations on getting puzzle strike! I think it's a fantastic and highly under-appreciated game.

The fantasy strike forums have lots of advice, here you go:
http://www.fantasystrike.com/forums/index.php?threads/puzzle...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Characters: To get a simpler game going maybe try Gwen, Vendetta, Troq, or Onimaru, roughly in that order. They are the least text-heavy or game warping.

The puzzle chips shouldn't matter much. There aren't really any I can think of that are that much more complicated than the rest. Feel free to pick them at random and enjoy the variety.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rabid Schnauzer
msg tools
Here's my take on ALL the characters from both sets:

https://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/24373/which-character-pla...

As for Puzzle Chips: I find Improvisation has more confusing edge-case issues than I want to explain to brand new players and will not use it in a bank for a game with new player. Option Select and X-Copy are similar, but the issues are not quite as complex, so I only tend to shy away from them in games where I am teaching the game to multiple new players at once. But by the second or third game, players can handle just about anything with the puzzle chips.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vapix
msg tools
mbmbmb
Just checking back in to say thanks for the input.

We got started successfully with Shadows by using the simpler characters and advice provided here, and it went so well we bought the promo chips and the last available local copy of 3E (at a premium, but it was well worth it

We're now at the point where we're working our way through the different characters, and "tuning" the selection of puzzle chips to suit whether we're experimenting with new characters, or playing cut-throat.

I have to say the combination of intense play, quick games, lots of variation, and "tunability" of the game is really impressive. We'd tried a couple of other deckbuilders earlier, but I'll be surprised if we play any of them again - I don't expect to live long enough to "use up" all the possible configurations of Puzzle Strike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome.

Yeah, Puzzle Strike is pretty much the cream of the crop as far as deckbuilders go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.