Popular Tags: [View All]
James Derbyshire
United Kingdom
Norton Mandeville
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just setting up for our second (but first full) play through.

My wife and I. We had a learning game with a few rounds a while back and played one character each. She was the magic user and was killing everything. She did a full circle on the reputation track whilst I had only moved one space!

Does anything change in terms of difficulty, either positive or negative with playing only two characters? Does it balance stronger/weaker players? (I think I was just a rubbish die roller). Should we try two characters each?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary smith
United Kingdom
Salisbury
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would personally preference playing 1 character each. That way there's a chance of getting into character, doing a little role play (even if it's only in your head). But that's just me.

Either way have fun, We've just completed it playing 2 heroes and it was a blast. Especially the final showdown.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
mbmbmbmbmb
Gaz72uk wrote:
I would personally preference playing 1 character each. That way there's a chance of getting into character, doing a little role play (even if it's only in your head). But that's just me.

Either way have fun, We've just completed it playing 2 heroes and it was a blast. Especially the final showdown.

Yeah, I am all for controlling only one character, and this game does work well with only two characters in play.

Number of characters does seem to balance out, as more characters get less chance to respite, have fewer actions each (from dice of destiny), and there is an increase in enemies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I think the game seems built around 3 players, actually- at 4, your damage output just makes things too easy, and 4 players mean you almost immediately lose your respite turns.

I'm starting to think that the respite turns act to balance things out with fewer players.

I think 3 would be optimal in part because it allows a lot more variety without power problems, but have only played 4 so the rest is just theory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
spiralingcadaver wrote:
Personally, I think the game seems built around 3 players, actually- at 4, your damage output just makes things too easy, and 4 players mean you almost immediately lose your respite turns.

I'm starting to think that the respite turns act to balance things out with fewer players.

I think 3 would be optimal in part because it allows a lot more variety without power problems, but have only played 4 so the rest is just theory.

I agree with this. It seems more balanced for 2 and 3 players. Or, given the thematic underpinnings throughout the production, you can take a less than ideal group. Try it without a standard healer or heavy damage dealer, and just take a group of Chaos or Dwarves etc...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Voshall
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played with the full play count, and I've gotten a handle on what the game offers. Generally, the more heroes you have, the easier the game is going to be (and, believe me, it's already easy), for a few reasons. You have more collective wounds to go around, you have more extra actions to heal or prepare for the next turn with, and the less problematic losing a character becomes. However, you also face more enemies as the player count increases, which can drastically increase the difficulty in the (very few) Double Encounter rooms.

That said, it plays great at all player counts. I've played nearly all of my games at 2 players, and we've only lost one game so far. They've been fun, and occassionally tense, and I would definitely say that it's well worth playing at that level, particularly if both of you have had a good amount of gaming experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Edleston
msg tools
mb
We've been having a great time playing 3 heroes across 2 players. Effectively the 3rd hero becomes our "Runemarked Player" token and gets swapped back and forth between turns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Derbyshire
United Kingdom
Norton Mandeville
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well after all of that, we actually ended up playing it 3p!!

I do wonder if I'd prefer it more just 2p. There's a fair bit of downtime between turns, and whilst one player is rolling for baddies etc, with 3p there is one player not doing anything.

And wow there's a lot of dice rolling. And constant flicking between two rule books for stats and story. I found it pretty hard work.

Does it get easier or does it need easy to reach crib sheets than can be laid out on the table?

We did the first adventure and actually didn't complete it (last room and big showdown) as it got a bit late and I think we were getting a bit sick of the feeling of "work".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
I scanned and printed the sheets for all the baddies. Much easier this way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, that rulebook format is pretty stupid.

My copies that came with teh game were all torn up in front, thinking I'll slice up the back halves for free-floating cards, since I swear every time we go for the book, it's the wrong one, causing more swearing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.