Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Knapp
United Kingdom
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Faced with the age old problem of “my table it too small”:

…or “this game is HOW big?”, coupled with “no I will not carry this object to my mates house that is as big as me and weighs half my body weight AND doesn’t fit in my car”, I have been tinkering with ideas to build a playing surface to cover these issues.

The table/gaming board:

I initially thought to have a hinged board that folds in on itself; but would require more time and effort than I had (I found Soss hinges if anyone is thinking about that). So in conversation with a friend, he suggested magnets! So my expanding play table was created:

Made from 18mm MDF cut into 1.5’ lengths (while keeping the 4’ width of the board), it suits the 3’x3’ or 3’x6’ sizes common to Attack/X-Wing and Armada (my target groups). It allows a 6” area for cards/tokens etc, to keep them off the play area itself.

It holds firmly together, you can even shove the whole board without it splitting.

It will overhang a much smaller table, allowing you to even use it over a coffee table.

PVC printed banner/playmat:

Then last week pixartprinting did a 40% sale on 500gsm PVC banners, so I thought I would give the board some “va-va voom”:

The banner is quite grippy for PVC, it curls of course, but I taped the mat down:

The quality is beautiful! I keep staring at it and taking pics at different angles…

The size is slightly off overall, but for what I want, not too much of a problem – and you have the tabletop surface underneath for those that are picky!

I still am toying with an idea of spraying the centre play section of the board black, or putting a half dowel strip to mark of the edge of the board - if anyone has an inspired ideas let me know!

Costs (approx):
MDF sheet £20
Magnets £19
Metal fixing plates £3
Glue £6.50
PVC printed mat 6’x3’ £19

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
pedro_ak wrote:

MDF sheet £20
Magnets £19
Metal fixing plates £3
Glue £6.50
PVC printed mat 6’x3’ £19

Playing a good game with friends... priceless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Hooper
United States
Rockford
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very interested in how you did the magnets. Can you give some more details on that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Knapp
United Kingdom
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nightglider1 wrote:
Very interested in how you did the magnets. Can you give some more details on that?

Sure, so I used rare earth magnets which are stronger than standard, these ones specifically:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/first4magnets-F2582-N52-10-Neodymiu...

They claim a 3kg pull per magnet. The fixing plates are what the magnets connect with and both are recessed (routered) slightly into the edge of the board to give as flush a connection as possible. I simply glued them with Gorilla glue/superglue - even the fixing plates, as I didn't want to bother drilling pilot holes/screwing them in by that point! I did however put some fixer/wood primer on the edges before I glued.

In fact, with 6 magnets per edge (see earlier pictures), you can pick the board up and another section will still hold!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.