Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Knapp
United Kingdom
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Faced with the age old problem of “my table it too small”:

…or “this game is HOW big?”, coupled with “no I will not carry this object to my mates house that is as big as me and weighs half my body weight AND doesn’t fit in my car”, I have been tinkering with ideas to build a playing surface to cover these issues.

The table/gaming board:

I initially thought to have a hinged board that folds in on itself; but would require more time and effort than I had (I found Soss hinges if anyone is thinking about that). So in conversation with a friend, he suggested magnets! So my expanding play table was created:

Made from 18mm MDF cut into 1.5’ lengths (while keeping the 4’ width of the board), it suits the 3’x3’ or 3’x6’ sizes common to Attack/X-Wing and Armada (my target groups). It allows a 6” area for cards/tokens etc, to keep them off the play area itself.

It holds firmly together, you can even shove the whole board without it splitting.

It will overhang a much smaller table, allowing you to even use it over a coffee table.

PVC printed banner/playmat:

Then last week pixartprinting did a 40% sale on 500gsm PVC banners, so I thought I would give the board some “va-va voom”:

The banner is quite grippy for PVC, it curls of course, but I taped the mat down:

The quality is beautiful! I keep staring at it and taking pics at different angles…

The size is slightly off overall, but for what I want, not too much of a problem – and you have the tabletop surface underneath for those that are picky!

I still am toying with an idea of spraying the centre play section of the board black, or putting a half dowel strip to mark of the edge of the board - if anyone has an inspired ideas let me know!

Costs (approx):
MDF sheet £20
Magnets £19
Metal fixing plates £3
Glue £6.50
PVC printed mat 6’x3’ £19

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Phillips
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is awesome! I recently got into X-Wing and Armada and have been looking for a table solution. The magnets are a neat idea to keep everything together.

One question, is the weight of the MDF enough to keep the assembly still on the table or does it slide around?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Knapp
United Kingdom
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CrazedAndroid wrote:
This is awesome! I recently got into X-Wing and Armada and have been looking for a table solution. The magnets are a neat idea to keep everything together.

One question, is the weight of the MDF enough to keep the assembly still on the table or does it slide around?

You can slide it around if you give it a shove, it has the weight and surface area to provide some resistance. If you mean will it stand someone leaning against it, then probably not! If it becomes a problem that may be something to consider - possibly some dowels that you can push in to the underside?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Phillips
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh I doubt it can take the weight of someone leaning on it Glad to hear it's fairly stationary from a sliding point of view, I definitely need to make a setup like this now!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.