5 Posts

Eclipse» Forums » Variants

Subject: Battle leveling, a brand new layer of ship customization. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Pugachev
Russia
flag msg tools
Being a 20 years old board gamer at some point raises a question of creating your own board game. My choice fell on the 4x genre.
During creating my monstrous 12-player time-eater I came up with some interesting ideas, that perfectly suit one of my inspiration-givers: Eclipse.
The concept is, that players will be allowed to level up their ships after each battle, creating a new level of customization and micromanaging your fleet, as well as encouraging players to fight early and to choose their allies more carefully.

How to use this variant:
1) After the battle, where you got more than 1 reputation shield, you can "exchange" each excessing shield for a LEVEL. This is done BEFORE you draw any shields, but one (if playing with SotR expansion, drawn picture-shields DO NOT count towards level ups).
(Example): George and Peter had finished fighting over the sector with George withdrawing his surviving ships.
Peter got 5 shields for the destroyed ships. He draws one shield, it turns to be a picture-shield, so he draws another one, it's a normal shield, but points are low, so Peter announces, that he takes another shield, which satesfies him. Finally, he announces, that he has 3 level ups left and gets ready to spend them.
George got only 3 shield for the battle, takes one and converts others to levels.
2)The winner first assigns his level ups to the ships, followed by the loser.
You can level up your ships as you want, each level choosing any of the available upgrades. The maximum level of the ship is 4, so choose carefully.
What you can get for one level up?
One additional hull point; -1 shield; +1 comp; +1 initiative; +1 movement point; additional Ion cannon; additional Ion torpedo; ability to move through a half-wormhole; point-defense (RotA); cloaking field (RotA). (Researching a corresponding tech makes these last abilities useless due to every your ship gaining it)(All additional parts are not consuming the energy and are used exactly like its counterparts))
Each 4 level ship worth a VP, so it's crutial to keep them alive.
(Example):
Peter spends his levels first. He has a 2lvl Dreadnought, a 3lvl Base and an Interceptor.
The dreadnought already has +2 hull points, so Peter decides to give it additional -1 shield.
The base has 2 additional ion cannons and +1 comp, so he decided to grant at a point-defense, in addition to the 4th level VP.
The interceptor gains an additional Ion torpedo.

Marking the level up.
While testing the system, we just put pieces of paper with corresponding images under the ship models. Soon planning to make tokens.

Waiting for suggestions, responses. And sorry for my English)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heiko Günther
Germany
Saarbrücken
Saarland
flag msg tools
designer
Coming soon: Peak Oil!
badge
I spent 100 GG so you can read this.
I am a bit thick here: you propose to level each _ship_, right, not each _blueprint_? So, one of my Interceptors might have 4 extra ion cannons, while the other has just 1 extra hull? In such case, do you treat each ship as their own class when resolving battles?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Pugachev
Russia
flag msg tools
You level up your separate ships, not the blueprints
Kinda:
Your ships are still belong to their classes, but for those ones, who have any bonuses, such as +1 comp, that somehow affect targeting, iniciative or attack (torpedo), you will have to roll separate dice.
Example: George's Interceptor blueprint: ion cannon, nuke source, nuke drive, +1 comp, 3 iniciative overall.
In one of the battles he has two Interceptors, lvl2 (extra hull and -1 shield) and lvl3 (extra iniciative, torpedo, +1 comp)
So, he will first (in the order of Iniciative, of course) fire his Interceptor torpedo, than, in battle, he will roll SEPARATE dice for his interceptors due to their different "to hit" score.
In any other aspect, such as Retreating or enemy Point-def, they are considered the same class.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Alaiz
Spain
flag msg tools
I think that this would be too cumbersome to track.

Which ship is which and so on... also it can be a hell to balance.

Sorry but in its current state I fail to see the added value of this proposal :-(

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Pugachev
Russia
flag msg tools
Working on it)
Soon I'll update this post with some visuals and tweaks.

The idea worked, and tracking wasn't much problem. The bigger issue was balance: Orion's early battles made him even more powerful than he already was

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.