Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andy Szymas
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You swing your machete through the vines, ignoring the monkeys swinging from a nearby tree. Dear God, you've seen so many monkeys that these photos would probably be worthless. You know that if you just go a bit further, your party might find something cool - maybe a Jaguar, or a Toucan. Man, a Jaguar would get you on the cover of National Geographic!

As you clear the vines, you stumble into a clearing and come to a stop suddenly. Just in front of you is... your colleague Hitchens and his party. Atherton has lead you in a circle, that no good jerk.

Welcome to Costa Rica.

In Costa Rica, 2-5 players are leading expeditions into the rainforest to collect animals. The cover makes it seem like you are taking photos of these rare (and not so rare) animals, but I'd rather believe that you are catching them and shipping them off to Zooloretto.

The first part of the game is basically Incan Gold/Diamant. If you're the expedition leader, you choose the direction you want to go. After each location, players get the choice - pass or flee. If they flee, they take all the revealed tiles but leave the party and can no longer get new animals with that party. If they all pass, the expedition leader keeps moving - unless he runs into danger.

One dangerous misstep isn't a big deal. You're hearty explorers after all... but if you manage to lead the party into a second waterfall, everyone thinks you're a crap leader and kicks you out. You get to collect any non-danger tiles you've revealed and then you're out of that party.

So far this is almost exactly like Incan Gold, a game I quite like. The main difference is that choosing to flee is in turn order (one person at a time), and only the Expedition Leader has to worry about the danger. Once someone has claimed tiles (by fleeing or by the Expedition leader being a moron and leading us off ANOTHER WATERFALL JOHN, WHAT WERE YOU THINKING), the expedition leader token passes to the next player, who then gets to activate a party. The expedition remains in the last space that had been revealed.

And this is where the Hey, That's My Fish genes kick in - because there are six parties, and it's quite possible to cut off a party and leave them with the dumbest part of the jungle.

Once you're the expedition leader, you're in charge. You can direct the expedition (as long as you have a guy remaining) into any dumb direction you want. Do you want to lead a full party face first into another full party and deny everyone a bunch of points? You can do that! Wanna use your dwindling party to leave another group to scrabble over a single dung beetle? Sure, why not! Are you next in line after the expedition leader and want to cut them off? Sure, flee and then activate another expedition to leave the previous party (without you in it) in the dust!

Of course, any player in your expedition can choose to stop your rampage through the jungle by fleeing your insanity (and getting some tiles), but in doing so, they leave the party - and if a party ever gets down to one person, that person can clear out half the jungle by themselves (DANG IT JOHN, LEAVE SOME FREAKING CHAMELEONS FOR EVERYONE ELSE).

At the end of the game, you score points for the animals that you've enslaved photographed. It's pretty standard set collection scoring - the more monkeys you've seen, the more points they're worth. If you get all 6 animal types, that's a 20 point bonus.

This is a great little push your luck meanie game, which should be it's own genre. It's probably fired Incan Gold and Hey, That's My Fish (and Battle Sheep, HTMF's dumber cousin). The delicate tension - do I let FREAKING JOHN keep going and possibly cut off my other party... or do I pull out now and possibly let him rampage all on his lonesome? - is what makes this an excellent game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete K
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
new reviews: Bargain Hunter, Sushi Go
mbmbmbmbmb
Good review. I have both Incan Gold and Hey That's my Fish, but it's been a long time since we've played either. This might be a good addition.

Does Costa Rica include the macaw and/or the quetzal? When I've been in CR, I remember those two birds being featured in the ads for bird-watching tours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Szymas
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pkufahl wrote:
Does Costa Rica include the macaw and/or the quetzal? When I've been in CR, I remember those two birds being featured in the ads for bird-watching tours.

I don't remember the animals being named, and maybe what I've been calling a Toucan is a Macaw or Quetzal? It's Jaguar/Toucan, Chameleon/Frog, Beetle/Monkey, as I recall.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete K
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
new reviews: Bargain Hunter, Sushi Go
mbmbmbmbmb
AndySzy wrote:
pkufahl wrote:

I don't remember the animals being named, and maybe what I've been calling a Toucan is a Macaw or Quetzal? It's Jaguar/Toucan, Chameleon/Frog, Beetle/Monkey, as I recall.

From this image:

image by Amekins

... they are indeed toucans. I've been lucky enough to see a few down there - they're actually a very entertaining bird to watch. Those large bills are hollow and the birds hop around as if they weigh nothing at all. They're also quite noisy (nothing like a family of red macaws, however).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Great Falls
Virginia
flag msg tools
I think I need this game. Fits great alongside Animals on Board for quick to explain and play games that can get mean quick, though they don't look it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Fleming
United States
Lexington
Virginia
flag msg tools

Andy --

You refer to the dangerous hazards as "waterfalls".

But the rulebook refers to them as "mosquitoes".

And the "To the Table" video review also refers to them as mosquitoes.

From your description the gameplay effect of the waterfall hazards seems the same as those of the mosquitoes, but might you perhaps possess a different edition of the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Szymas
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
canaras wrote:
From your description the gameplay effect of the waterfall hazards seems the same as those of the mosquitoes, but might you perhaps possess a different edition of the game?

Nope, it's the same thing. I just took some artistic license to describe them as 'waterfalls' in a couple of the narrative paragraphs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Gates
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Seems like this is also like Cloud 9

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.