3 Posts

Talisman (Revised 4th Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Focus on strength rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hadn't played Talisman since 2nd edition, so a couple of changes to the game in 4th had me questioning craft as a mechanism. It seems that strength is the better stat because it not only makes it easier to cross the river, it also allows for a path to challenge someone on the Crown of Command which isn't open to many craft characters.

Or do people feel characters who start high in craft and can't use it fighting players are compensated in other ways?

Note all impressions come from the iOS implementation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Dyer
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Craft path in the inner region is easier than the Strength path, IMO. Unfortunately it's been too long since I've played for me to go into specifics without pulling the game out.

Craft also sets your limit on spells, and spells are useful. Of course if you're a Strength character with no mechanism for gaining spells, they aren't as useful, but still nice to have up your sleeve.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grarrrg Grarrrgowski
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do note that expansions mess with the STR/CFT balance in a lot of ways.

But speaking for just the base game:
STR is more straight-forward.
*There are more/bigger STR monsters in the deck, so trophy points come faster.
*More reliable method to get to Middle Region (Sentinel).
*Char-vs.-Char combat usually boils down to STR. While there are a few characters that can Attack with CFT, there are none that can Defend with CFT.

CFT characters
*'Better' Spells (easier to get, can hold more).
*More reliable path through the Inner Region. The paths are mostly similar, but the big split is Dice with Death vs. Vampire. Vampire is always over in one turn. Whereas Dice with Death can sometimes be a quick 1 turn thing, and sometimes be a multi-turn roadblock slowly draining your life.
*It's also easier to non-intentionally boost STR/STR-fights, whether through Trophies, or picking up Swords and Armor and whatnot. So a CFT character has a chance to win Battles on the Crown every now and then (or at least not lose a life), whereas the STR character will lose most all Psychic Combats, with no chance to prevent lose of life.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.