BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Looking to get back into painting - need stuff! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ron
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Years and years ago, I played Warhammer and Warhammer 40k. I had a couple of armies, all of which I painted with varying amounts of pleasure. To do this, I obviously had a ton of paints.
Fast-forward ten to fifteen years. I no longer play WH, but I do own quite a few board games with minis. And I'm considering painting them. I never really liked the mass-production work on basic minis, but board games tend to have fewer and cooler ones, so it's more like painting all those characters, which I did like
But... All my old paints have dried out, of course. So I'll need new stuff. And where I used to simply buy the Citadel paints my local GW-dealer supplied, I'm not opposed to trying out something else now. But I would definitely prefer to buy a set or something and be done for the foreseeable future. Any tips? I do prefer the high-quality stuff, I'd rather spend a bit more than be stuck with crappy material
European availability is a plus, of course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joke Meister
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a big fan of reaper paints but I don't know what the availability is like for you (I just order them directly from reaper online). Vallejo have a stellar reputation and they are European based so availability should be quite easy for you.

Also, join the mini painters guild - https://boardgamegeek.com/guild/909

I'm sure you will get better advice there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
I am a Vallejo guy. They have a great price/quality mix and have a great "Game Color" set that has 50 or so paints(the "Game Color" line) that are meant to match the main GW paint line. They come in droppers instead of pots, which I have heard(in respect to current GW pots, which people aren't too big on) will allow your paint to last longer. Also they are 17ml of paint vs 12ml of GW pot paint per unit. I don't know about availability, it is different from country to country but Vallejo operates out of Spain. Its a great starter set as is their "Air"(if you ever get into airbrushing) line.

You need to take into consideration if you prefer pots(GW/P3) over droppers(Vallejo/Army Painter/Reaper/Secret Weapon). GW and Vallejo both have the biggest variety of paints among their lines. In the end each line of paint has some good paint and unique color tones, but GW and Vallejo are the ones that have the biggest lines/variety. If you really get into painting you will end up with paints from multiple companies.

For basic spray(black/grey/white) base coating you would have to ask around for the best price/quality mix, but Army Painter has a great line, though I believe it is hard to come by in certain European areas. The Vallejo air line(droppers, 17ml) is fantastic for non basic base coating but more expensive than AP(12 oz spray cans). I don't think anyone has a line as robust as Vallejo when it comes to this though.

You need to ask around about washes since I make my own but people talk highly of GW and Secret Weapon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.