United States
Glenside
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hast ye seen the White Whale?
mbmbmbmbmb
This Thread serves as the official FAQ and Errata for New Bedford and New Bedford: Rising Tide. Please add any additional errors or corrections as comments, we will keep a running list.
Updated 8/15/16

Kickstarter Backers:
Corrected tiles will be sent to you. No input needed unless your address changed since receiving the base game.

Gen Con and Retail customers:
You can send and email to contact@greaterthangames.com and they'll send corrected tiles when they're available.

Rules corrections and clarifications

Captain Tokens are the 4 small ship's wheels on the town board punchboard sheet, not as depicted in the rulebook.

Municipal Office resource cost should be 4 wood and 4 brick, as listed on the tile, not 4 food and 4 brick.
The barrel symbol appearing on victory buildings are extra points earned at the end of the game.

The Tryworks action is taken immediately, so that 3 right whales are immediately taken from the ship and added to returned whales. The ship need not be returning in the same round.

In the Acknowledgments section, I would like to thank Mike Mullins for his help with development and testing on the Solo game. The name Josh Tempkin is incorrectly spelled.

For setup, players may take any combination of $5 in goods or money, such as 3 wood and $2, or 2 brick and 1 wood. These are the same values used when selling goods.
Also in setup, place the round marker on the first space of the round track.

The return space on the whaling board is only the topmost space of the whaling track, and is the only space without 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. There are 7 other spaces on the whaling track. Players still participate in whaling when on the space without a food cost label.

In the Quick Reference inside the back cover, the 2-player building list includes some of the victory buildings. This is redundant, as the list includes “all victory buildings”.
A building reference for suggested buildings by player count and expansion is also available in the files section:
Building Setup Reference Card v1

In Rising Tide variant setups, the Sundial Building should be the Harbor Office

Several page references are misreferenced.

The "cost" when selling whales is the same thing as the "Lay".

Solo Game Notes:

Captains buy sold whales. If using more than one captain, distribute sold whales as evenly as possible between them.
When Stub builds, roll the die to select a column to build from. If all buildings in that column are built, then Stubb does not build, and defaults to the Captain’s Orders.
The split spaces on the captain rondels indicate round numbers during which that action is to be used.
The "Church" refers to the Seamen's Bethel.

Building tile Errata:

Turner’s Mill was missing from punchboard in all copies of the base game. This does not limit the solo game from being played.
Seamen’s Bethel is misspelled.
Newspaper should be 1 point per 2 Ship's Log cards. The unbuilt side of tile and rulebook are correct.
Salvage Yard should be 1 point per 4 goods.
Storehouse should be +2 brick on built side, matching the unbuilt side and the rules.
Loading Dock front iconography is incorrect. Use the action on the unbuilt side.
Brewery missing DHMG symbol on back (2 dice)
College should be 2 food and 1 brick to build.
Mayor’s house says "it’s", but should be "its"
Refinery built side says "new", but should be "now".
Candleworks cost is 3 food, 3 brick.
Almshouse should read "≥ 4" on front, to match back
The Firehouse reads "from" on the front but this should be interpreted as on the back, and in the rules, not as taking money from those players.
Rectory has Seamen's Bethel misspelled.
Perfumery is written "2 more" on the unbuilt side, should read "2 or more"

Ship's Log Cards Errata

Uncharted Desert Isle text should read "shore of this" not "short of this"
The Broken Mast should be 3 wood to repair, not 5 wood.
Ice Sheet. For the cancelled movement, return the ships to their original positions.

White Whale Promo

White Whale card may have typo "While" Whale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nat Levan
United States
Glenside
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
[reserved]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Hughes
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is... an astonishing amount of errors. Who did your proofreading?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Bøttger
Denmark
Odense SV
Fyn
flag msg tools
That's a bit poor, agreed. Especially with a light game like this, where being able to trust in-game iconography is so important, having to remember when NOT to is somewhat of a nuisance.

Maybe consider making an "errata pack" with updated cards?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Hughes
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not to mention that this game was delayed over, and over again. They had plenty of time to get this stuff in order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nat Levan
United States
Glenside
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There seems to have been some mix-up at the factory for one or two of the punchboard tile sheets, which accounts for a lot of these.

Aside from the tiles, there are only a few actual typos or errors.

They're talking to the factory to work out the fix to the tiles, which will probably involve mailing replacement tile sheets to backers. I expect an update to backers to go out sometime today.

Edit: This isn't meant to be an excuse, simply information on how it happened, since you asked about proofreading. I apologize on the behalf of the whole team, and want you to know that we are committed to making this right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Bøttger
Denmark
Odense SV
Fyn
flag msg tools
Sivilized wrote:
There seems to have been some mix-up at the factory for one or two of the punchboard tile sheets, which accounts for a lot of these.

They're talking to the factory to work out the fix to the tiles, which will probably involve mailing replacement tile sheets to backers. I expect an update to backers to go out sometime today.

Edit: This isn't meant to be an excuse, simply information on how it happened, since you asked about proofreading. I apologize on the behalf of the whole team, and want you to know that we are committed to making this right.

Sounds great - can't wait to get my hands on my copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Fowkes

Farmington Hills
Michigan
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sivilized wrote:

Thanks Nat!

Something similar happened with Apotheca where the factory printed one sheet thicker than the others and they needed redone. It happens. I'm sure Andrew Federspiel would be happy to go over how that situation was resolved. I know the extra shipping and how to package is always an issue and that I've never seen the manufacturer foot the whole cost. In Apotheca's case I think he punched the boards so the replacement parts could be sent in a smaller package.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Garrison
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My Rectory does not have the misspelled Bethal. It's "Bethel" on both the unbuilt and built side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Hughes
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In glad to hear you'll be standing behind your product and issuing replacements. That's very commendable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walter Hunt
United States
Bellingham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sivilized wrote:
This isn't meant to be an excuse, simply information on how it happened . . .

Rails of New England was in development for some time, and we still had errors and corrections. Thumbs up to Nat and the team for dealing with them at once and not ignoring questions and comments. Some KS projects have had a poor record in this regard.

I hope we'll get replacement tiles soon, but in the meanwhile I'll print the sheets out and make do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Boylan
United States
Morrisville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My dissatisfaction is real, but it's clear you are an upstanding company and I'm looking forward to your future projects. And thus the wait for replacement tiles begins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I don't care about typos, but will backers receive corrected tiles that had actual gameplay errors on them when we get the corrected tiles for the expansion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y P
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shampoo4you wrote:

I don't care about typos, but will backers receive corrected tiles that had actual gameplay errors on them when we get the corrected tiles for the expansion?

Yes. Check the latest KS update.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Louallen Jr.
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I assume we'll get corrected cards too (looking at Errata)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Boylan
United States
Morrisville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My rectory is also fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Angell
msg tools
Small, but since we're posting errors, The White Whale promo pack card reads "The While Whale."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Stair
United States
Macon Area
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the 2nd edition of the game should have the Rounds listed as years

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Newman
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dstair2002 wrote:

This post needs to have its own Errata, as 1821 was listed as 1921
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Owen
United States
Norwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dstair2002 wrote:

A little too early. The tiles based on historical buildings note dates in the 1830s mostly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Smokowicz
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi,

On page 12 of the Rising Tide rulebook, under the 'Themed Building Tile Combination,' 'Green Sailors: 3+ Player games.'

It suggests using the 'Sundial Building.'

Which building should I use instead?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Stair
United States
Macon Area
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wargamer55 wrote:
dstair2002 wrote:

A little too early. The tiles based on historical buildings note dates in the 1830s mostly.

Yeah but Moby Dick was last seen in 1822 so we could do years
1822 - 1834

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Herrera
United States
Vancouver
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What is the coffeehouse under captain 's orders supposed to be for Stubbs? I'm assuming courthouse or bakery, but wanted to check.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nat Levan
United States
Glenside
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eggroll20xd6 wrote:
What is the coffeehouse under captain 's orders supposed to be for Stubbs? I'm assuming courthouse or bakery, but wanted to check.

Coffeehouse is correct. If you aren't including the building in the game, you can simply skip over it. That will usually be the case.

A_Smokey wrote:
Hi,

On page 12 of the Rising Tide rulebook, under the 'Themed Building Tile Combination,' 'Green Sailors: 3+ Player games.'

It suggests using the 'Sundial Building.'

Which building should I use instead?

Thanks.

Good catch. Sundial Building is the Harbor Office.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Herrera
United States
Vancouver
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I need to crack open that expansion then, thanks for the heads up

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [10] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.