17 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Solo or 2 player Cthulhu based games. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steram Shaw
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hi, I'm really enjoying the Cthulhu theme at the moment. I own eldritch horror and really enjoy it solo,not tried it with more yet.however it tends to be a big set up and a good 2 hr game. Which when I have all night is great. Also I own elder sign which I enjoy, but my wife is not that keen on it. Maybe too much dice throwing,and I think it's the end game she doesn't like. What I'm looking for is a Cthulhu/mythos theme that plays shorter around 45-60 minutes,and is really good solo and plays well with 2.
Recently purchased tides of madness which we enjoy. So probably on that line want it to play a bit longer than that as it only takes 15 mins. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Perry Fergin
United States
Baltimore
MD
flag msg tools
quoted by John Bandettini
badge
"I have the heart of a lion and a lifetime ban from the London zoo."
mbmbmbmbmb
Cthulhu Realms

It's a modified Star Realms. It's much more complicated, but heavy Cthulhu themed. It's for 2-4 players, but has a solo variation included.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R B
United States
Mayville
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
For a solo game, you should check out Cards of Cthulhu.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
f h
msg tools
Elder Sign
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Hernandez
United States
Greenville
SC
flag msg tools
The show on solitaire boardgaming.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rbeall88 wrote:
For a solo game, you should check out Cards of Cthulhu.
This game is fun co-op. However, it is also dice heavy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Katrina
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
fh13 wrote:

This

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ancient Terrible Things

Never played it and it also seems to have a lot of dice rolling.

Pandemic: Reign of Cthulhu

Again, never played it.

Cthulhu Realms

And a third game I never played, but it's based on Star Realms, which plays nicely with 2 and has a relatively short playtime.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Chelsea
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do people not read the original post?

They already have Elder Sign, but his wife is "not too keen on it."

I think the game you're looking for is coming out in the next week or so-
Pandemic: Reign of Cthulhu
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chanel Nye
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
I have not played this yet, but Cthulhu Wars might interest you. It sounds like a good game and might have similar elements to Eldritch Horror for you to connect with. You should check out Mansions of Madness and Myth as well!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cnye1317 wrote:
You should check out Mansions of Madness and Myth as well!

Stevieram wrote:
What I'm looking for is a Cthulhu/mythos theme that plays shorter around 45-60 minutes,and is really good solo and plays well with 2.

Besides the theme, none of this applies to Mansions of Madness.

You might be interested in the recently announced and soon to be available 2nd edition though, since it's now a full cooperative game, although I kind of doubt that it will play in less than 60 minutes.

Mansions of Madness: Second Edition
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Bruton
United Kingdom
Bordon
Hampshire
flag msg tools
I used to fund my games purchases by juggling!
mbmbmbmbmb
The Cards of Cthulhu is best solo, plays well with two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
f h
msg tools
imtylerdurden wrote:
Do people not read the original post?

They already have Elder Sign, but his wife is "not too keen on it."

Doh! modest missed that

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Teti
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
There are vids of Pandemic: Reign of Cthulu that show some game play. There's actually one in Portuguese from a full play-though.

It may not have story like eldritch horror but the theme seems to work pretty well. It's pandemic reskinned but adds something different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Halowell

Maryland
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stevieram wrote:
Hi, I'm really enjoying the Cthulhu theme at the moment. I own eldritch horror and really enjoy it solo,not tried it with more yet.however it tends to be a big set up and a good 2 hr game. Which when I have all night is great. Also I own elder sign which I enjoy, but my wife is not that keen on it. Maybe too much dice throwing,and I think it's the end game she doesn't like. What I'm looking for is a Cthulhu/mythos theme that plays shorter around 45-60 minutes,and is really good solo and plays well with 2.
Recently purchased tides of madness which we enjoy. So probably on that line want it to play a bit longer than that as it only takes 15 mins. Thanks.

I'm in a similar situation, having recently purchased Cthulhu Wars which I think is awesome, though not what you're looking for. Out of Elder Sign and Eldritch Horror, which do you enjoy more solo? I've been considering one of those two.

And with the new app driven Mansions of Madness: Second Edition that may also be a good solo option. It's one that I'm going to keep tabs on in the coming months.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Harpring
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
FFG's website puts the playtime for the new Mansions of Madness at 2-3 hours, so I don't think that will be a good fit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Halowell

Maryland
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Emu Prime wrote:
FFG's website puts the playtime for the new Mansions of Madness at 2-3 hours, so I don't think that will be a good fit.

You're definitely right. Nevermind about Mansions of Madness.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steram Shaw
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mhalowel wrote:
Stevieram wrote:

I'm in a similar situation, having recently purchased Cthulhu Wars which I think is awesome, though not what you're looking for. Out of Elder Sign and Eldritch Horror, which do you enjoy more solo? I've been considering one of those two.

And with the new app driven Mansions of Madness: Second Edition that may also be a good solo option. It's one that I'm going to keep tabs on in the coming months.

Out of Elder Sign and Eldritch Horror, which do you enjoy more solo? I've been considering one of those two.

For a longer more in depth story game, I go for eldritch, but for a quicker push your luck game in this genre then elder sign, I'd definitely say that eldritch is the better game in my opinion, but it does take a long time to play. So it depends what you want really.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.