Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Zachary
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi All,

Is there anyone among you who has played GMT's "The Civil War" and VG's "Civil War" to say which is the better game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've eaten both apples and oranges, but can I say which is the better fruit?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
"Work as if you live in the early days of a better nation"
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy and respect both designs immensely. That said, my little game collection only has room for one big strategic hex-and-counter ACW game and that game is GMT's The US Civil War.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played both, though only single year scenarios of both, not the entire war campaign game. I'd have to give the edge to the newer GMT version. Basically, it streamlined the turn structure (and the basic game naval rules as well) and I found it easier to grok. This meant that I could more quickly focus on my strategy and not find myself referring back to the rulebook too often. The only area in which I favor the older Victory Games product is the leader rules. Now, both systems have their issues in this area, but I liked the randomness of the older game versus the scripted entries (and exits) of the newer one. However, in the overall analysis, for me, the pros of the new game outweigh the cons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Smith
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It's a close call, but it's GMT for me. Just that little bit more streamlined, and one of the nicest boards I've ever seen. Both very strong games, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffen Beck
Germany
Passau
flag msg tools
mb
DaviddesJ wrote:
I've eaten both apples and oranges, but can I say which is the better fruit?

actually yes, you could...i prefer apples.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john f stup
United States
damascus
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
the original is more luck oriented than the newer one because of the leader rules in that key leaders can get killed. in USCW the leaders are lost(killed,removed,demoted)historically. then again, it depends on personal preference. i prefer the newer one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Glass
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played more than a few campaigns of the VGCW over the years, and have so far only played a few campaigns of TUSCW. Once GMT fixes a few glitches, I believe TUSCW will be the superior game.
Ron Glass

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.