Popular Tags: [View All]
John Robinson
United Kingdom
Barrow in Furness
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello everyone,

The start of another month. Let everyone know what you are currently reading or if you have just finished then tell us what you thought of it.
Military fiction is also welcome here too,

My current book;

In April 1982 Harry Benson was a 21-year-old Royal Navy commando helicopter pilot, fresh out of training and one of the youngest helicopter pilots to serve in the Falklands War. These pilots, nicknamed 'junglies', flew most of the land-based missions in the Falklands in their Sea King and Wessex helicopters.

The word "Scram" was used to warn other junglies to go to ground or risk being shot down by their own side as Argentinean jets blasted through 'bomb alley' at San Carlos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Pretty good so far. He contrasts the delusions at the German high command level to the horrific at-front realities for the soldiers.

When that's done, this is on my list:

I read the first book in this trilogy, and I thought Evans does a good job of describing German society at the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave W
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmund Hon
Canada
Maple
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jon7167 wrote:
Hello everyone,

The start of another month. Let everyone know what you are currently reading or if you have just finished then tell us what you thought of it.
Military fiction is also welcome here too,

My current book;

In April 1982 Harry Benson was a 21-year-old Royal Navy commando helicopter pilot, fresh out of training and one of the youngest helicopter pilots to serve in the Falklands War. These pilots, nicknamed 'junglies', flew most of the land-based missions in the Falklands in their Sea King and Wessex helicopters.

The word "Scram" was used to warn other junglies to go to ground or risk being shot down by their own side as Argentinean jets blasted through 'bomb alley' at San Carlos.

This one looks interesting and I'll have to check it out. Never knew the Westland Wessex was armed with missiles! (Looks like SS.11?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Robinson
United Kingdom
Barrow in Furness
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes it could carry SS11 and AS12 missile's

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bauer
United States
Horseheads
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I'm a sucker for battle maps and found this one on Amazon. I believe this to be the largest book in my collection. Size is 17.5 x 14.5 X 1 and weighs in at 8 lbs.

Maps of War
Ashley Baynton-Williams and Miles Baynton-Williams
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dmitry Klyuykov
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Reading German Defense Tactics Against Russian Breakthroughs.

It's Dept. of the Army pamphlet no. 20-233 focused on the practical German defensive measures with historical examples of such measures. I found such generalization of defensive experience very useful for Operational Combat Series.

As usual, some useful exerpts with schemes could be found here: http://history.hexandcounter.ru/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Maxwell
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Not technically military history as its focus is on CNAC and Pan Am but it covers the second Sino-Japanese war and flying the hump in WWII.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Richardson
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You get the games....so then you have to buy the books...

For those that don't know but that are interested in Napoleonics, Captain Coignet was a soldier in Napoleon's Imperial Guard. He worked his way up through the ranks from private at Marengo up to Captain at Waterloo.

These are his memoirs. About half way through...fascinating insight into revolutionary France and the Grande Armee.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Killer Angels: A Novel of the Civil War by: Michael Shaara
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Lynch
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After some real life diversions and fictional rabbit holes, I finally got around to reading "The Last Stand" by Nathaniel Philbrick. (Has the subtitle, "Custer, Sitting Bull, and the Battle of the Little Bighorn".) Overall a fun and informative read, but I gather some reviewers had some issues with the author's easy treatment of the Indians and a few historical gaffs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam D.
United States
Suquamish
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MoriQuessir wrote:
Reading German Defense Tactics Against Russian Breakthroughs.

It's Dept. of the Army pamphlet no. 20-233 focused on the practical German defensive measures with historical examples of such measures. I found such generalization of defensive experience very useful for Operational Combat Series.

As usual, some useful exerpts with schemes could be found here: http://history.hexandcounter.ru/

Step 1: Have a King Tiger handy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J H
msg tools
I haven't read The Last Stand yet, but I enjoyed James Donovan's "A Terrible Glory" quite a bit.

donlyn wrote:
After some real life diversions and fictional rabbit holes, I finally got around to reading "The Last Stand" by Nathaniel Philbrick. (Has the subtitle, "Custer, Sitting Bull, and the Battle of the Little Bighorn".) Overall a fun and informative read, but I gather some reviewers had some issues with the author's easy treatment of the Indians and a few historical gaffs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually avoid books with "The Myth of..." in their title, but I broke down at the library and picked this up:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Johansson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
I spent 200 GG and all I got was this lousy overtext!
badge
I spent 200 GG and all I got was this lousy overtext!
mbmbmbmbmb
Just begun this:

It's about the core period of the Reconquista, roughly 1050-1250, during which the larger part of the Iberian Peninsula passed from Muslim to Christian rule. I've already read and liked O'Callaghan's later book about the following century (which saw much bloodshed but little territorial change; Granada's borders contracted only a little between 1250 and the final war of 1482-1492), so I expect this to be good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Zurunkel
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scottgun wrote:
I usually avoid books with "The Myth of..." in their title, but I broke down at the library and picked this up:

I've read several of his books. Always thought-provoking, whether you agree with him or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Iverson
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice quick read. Snippets on Louisville Nashville forming. Short descriptions of military actions in and around the L&N throughout the war (raids, battles, and attack movements that should have been supplied had L&N delivered) - with largest focus on Morgan. Contract/government interaction with the railroad during the period of the war.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
Doing some research for a scenario on the Ashanti Campaign of 1874...

The Fall of the Asante Empire: The Hundred-Year War for Africa's Gold Coast, by Robert B. Edgerton

A solid narrative in spite of the goofy cover and the occasional proofreading error. A good place to start reading.

Read four contemporary accounts of the battle of Amoaful available on the internet. It is interesting to see each author's unique perspective.

By Sheer Pluck: A Tale of the Ashanti War, by G. A. Henty

A straightforward basic account.

Coomassie and Magdala: The Story of Two British Campaigns in Africa, by Henry Morton Stanley

Written by THE Stanley (as in "Doctor Livingstone, I presume." fame) with the author serving as a cheerleader for the British Empire. Nothing wrong with that, just needed to mention it.

Ashanti War, by Henry Brackenbury

Brackenbury served on the staff of General Wolseley and became part of the famous "Wolseley Ring" later in his career. However, this account is packed with interesting details.

The Story of the Ashantee Campaign, by William Winwood Reade

This correspondent was no fan of Wolseley. Reade offers a critical but relatively fair appraisal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rush
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just started
, borrowed from my dad (in the "I bought it for him and am reading it before I give it to him" sense).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew N
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Currently taking a break from ACW reading, working on these:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew N
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AveryAllen wrote:

Hey, it might have happened...

If you're looking for further reading, I really enjoyed Barry Strauss' The Trojan War. It taught me a lot about Bronze Age warfare, and was an interesting and entertaining read.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick West
Scotland
Colinton
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
"Only two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity....
badge
....and I'm not certain about the universe." Albert Einstein
mbmbmbmbmb
I have had a tidy up of my bedside table and pushed myself to finish this - which had been hanging around for far too long (it appears in one of these threads some months ago). Success!

It was a bit dry to be honest and surprisingly little action took place at sea between Russia and Germany other than extensive minelaying and operations to either cover the laying or to remove the lain mines. The chapter about the Navy's final sacrifice to evacuate the German forces and many civilians surprisingly from the various coastal pockets in 1945 was fascinating though. Also if you want to learn details about Danish, Finnish or Swedish naval operations during WW2 then this slim volume is probably one of the few English language sources out there.

Next I finished off this one - another slim volume I only started last month:

I reviewed the first few chapters last month. The autobiographical writing end sadly on page 91 and thereafter it relies on slim diary entries, memoirs of others and the Air Marshal's son's memories and suffers in comparison. On the basis of the early chapters I would have given it but overall I can only give - some of the pictures are great though and probably unique to this volume.

Last weekend was spent celebrating our ninth wedding anniversary in the village of Cornhill-on-Tweed - right on the border of England and Scotland. Consequently lots of castle and battlefields were nearby - as it was our wedding anniversary I couldn't go mad but I did bring this along:

Had it for years and should probably get another copy to keep in the car as it is . We popped onto Flodden Field (1513) - where James IV of Scotland was killed in the midst of a catastrophic Scottish defeat. The last British monarch to die in battle, certainly on British soil anyway.

Finally I have started this:

Acquired from a secondhand bookshop in nearby Coldstream - only a couple of chapters in and it is quite detailed but pretty well written. I am hoping I will find it especially fascinating as my father flew the related Beauforts in Burma in 1942/3. When they were withdrawn from service he transferred to an AMES radar unit, where he was unlucky enough to get involved in both the Battle of Admin Box and the Battle of Kohima, much to the detriment of his heath and well being... ;-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Lynch
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RedPriest wrote:
I haven't read The Last Stand yet, but I enjoyed James Donovan's "A Terrible Glory" quite a bit.

donlyn wrote:

Thanks. I was looking at that and "Son of the Morning Star". Ordered "A Terrible Glory". I also have "Court Martial of George Armstrong Custer" and "Flashman and the Redskins", both unread as of now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Lynch
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AveryAllen wrote:

Hey, it might have happened...

On my watch list, as is Homer/Fagle's "Odyssey". Sort of a nostalgia thing. Studied ancient Greek in high school and did the Odyssey and Xenophon's Anabasis in Greek.

Shame on me, but I did enjoy the movie "Troy". I thought Brad Pitt was going to be a massive mis-cast, but he and Eric Bana were excellent. Unfortunately the script wasn't. Anybody else notice the Greeks featured Irish actors and the Trojans featured British ones?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mahaffey
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
GAME ARTIST
badge
GAME ARTIST
mbmbmbmbmb

Finally geting around to reading McPherson's "Battle Cry of Freedom" this month...

Planning to dive into this next:

http://www.nebraskapress.unl.edu/product/Children-of-Grace,6...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.