Linio Shay
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I guess i'm a little late to the show but I tried and bought this expansion.

We played today and the experience was totally disappointing.

We played with no gold cards, it's been a while, it was a first game to get back on the horse, so we went easy.

I had a red deck, and my friend had a blue deck.

We ended up having a lot of locations cards in our game, and I checked, there's 12 locations for 7 monsters, and like 12 treachery.

In the end, we got a little bit overwhelmed by the locations, and we managed to get clues on Gollum, only to wonder the point of having all 4, since everytime the monster that got enhanced by those came into play, we would take +8 menace on our hands, and no real way to manage that. At some point my friend got the two heroes that put one marker on each location on the trail, and we removed 3 to 4 locations each rounds, and ended up this way. Totally frustrated on my end, ended up with nearly 10 cards, all combat oriented.

So a few questions arose :
1°) Did we do something wrong? This quest seems a little lame... Are the quests actually made to be played without the gold cards, or is it just a bad idea?
2°) Aren't those heroes that put markers on the location on the trail a lttle bit too "strong"?
3°) Whenever Eleanor is engaged (or whatever hero for that matter), and consider tapped, is it possible to untap her with an effect to have her remove a treachery card? Is she still considered engaged to this quest?

4°) For this quest, what would be the point to have more than one Gollum Clue card for each player, since more is just putting more power to the monsters?
5°) One quest phase says : At the beginning of the quest phase pick a card between the first two cards and put it in the trail? Is this card counting in the [number of players] cards to reveal? (We guessed not, but just wanted to be sure...

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kārlis Jēriņš
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
I'm a sheep.
badge
A lovely, fluffy sheep.
mbmbmbmbmb
Linio wrote:
So I guess i'm a little late to the show but I tried and bought this expansion.

We played today and the experience was totally disappointing.

We played with no gold cards, it's been a while, it was a first game to get back on the horse, so we went easy.

I had a red deck, and my friend had a blue deck.

We ended up having a lot of locations cards in our game, and I checked, there's 12 locations for 7 monsters, and like 12 treachery.

In the end, we got a little bit overwhelmed by the locations, and we managed to get clues on Gollum, only to wonder the point of having all 4, since everytime the monster that got enhanced by those came into play, we would take +8 menace on our hands, and no real way to manage that. At some point my friend got the two heroes that put one marker on each location on the trail, and we removed 3 to 4 locations each rounds, and ended up this way. Totally frustrated on my end, ended up with nearly 10 cards, all combat oriented.

So a few questions arose :
1°) Did we do something wrong? This quest seems a little lame... Are the quests actually made to be played without the gold cards, or is it just a bad idea?
2°) Aren't those heroes that put markers on the location on the trail a lttle bit too "strong"?
3°) Whenever Eleanor is engaged (or whatever hero for that matter), and consider tapped, is it possible to untap her with an effect to have her remove a treachery card? Is she still considered engaged to this quest?

4°) For this quest, what would be the point to have more than one Gollum Clue card for each player, since more is just putting more power to the monsters?
5°) One quest phase says : At the beginning of the quest phase pick a card between the first two cards and put it in the trail? Is this card counting in the [number of players] cards to reveal? (We guessed not, but just wanted to be sure...

Thanks.

1) Everything sounds about right.
2) Assuming you mean Northern Trackers, they are allies, not heroes. That is a meaningful distinction, because many card effects deal differently with heroes and allies. And they are indeed rather strong in location-heavy quests, but I wouldn't call them too strong.
3) You can use actions between committing characters to the quest and revealing encounter cards, so it is possible to ready Eleanor to have her ability available to you. A character committed to the quest remains committed even if you ready them. The only way characters are removed from the quest is if an effect explicitly states so. Also, the better play would probably be to not commit Eleanor (she only has 1 willpower anyway) and use those readying effects on someone more powerful.
4) The smart play is indeed to only collect one clue per player.
5) No, that card doesn't count as one of the staging cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Linio Shay
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all your kind answers.

Although...
For the third question, I read there was no way to actually do an action while the cards were revealed on the trail, so the Eleanor trick does not seem feasable if she's engaged in the quest.

Anyway, i should find material to find what quests are interesting, this one I regret buying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kārlis Jēriņš
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
I'm a sheep.
badge
A lovely, fluffy sheep.
mbmbmbmbmb
Linio wrote:
Thanks for all your kind answers.

Although...
For the third question, I read there was no way to actually do an action while the cards were revealed on the trail, so the Eleanor trick does not seem feasable if she's engaged in the quest.

Anyway, i should find material to find what quests are interesting, this one I regret buying.

Tales from the Cards is a wonderful resource, and they have a pretty great new player buying guide: https://talesfromthecards.wordpress.com/2013/09/13/new-playe...

Regarding actions - here's how the quest phase works:
1) Action window
2) Commit characters to the quest
3) Action window
4) Staging step - reveal 1 encounter card per player, add them to the staging area
5) Action window (this is a great time to use actions that boost characters' willpower, because now you know how much willpower you need to quest successfully)
6) Resolve the quest (place progress or increase your threat)
7) Action window

You could commit Eleanor during 2), then use some ability to ready her during 3) and use her ability during 4). But really, you should have better questers than Eleanor, so I'd advise against committing her in the first place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Walton
United States
Ada
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah Hunt for Gollum isn't the most exciting quest. Hopefully you got some player cards you like to use!

There aren't too many "bad" quests in the game which is nice. The developers generally do a great job of providing a fun and varied experience. I would say if you're going in order the next two quests, Conflict at the Carrock and Journey to Rhosgobel, are pretty great. After that the Hills of Emyn Muil is considered by many to be among the worst quests printed for the game so you could skip that potentially. The Dead Marshes after that is pretty good but not great. However it comes with the Hero Boromir which is to this day one of the most powerful heroes in the game so it's probably worth getting just for that. And then to finish the cycle Return to Mirkwood is an incredibly swingy quest that can be easy one game and destroy you the next. I think it's a lot of fun though, and again you're really going to want the hero that comes in that pack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marlon Kruis
Netherlands
Pijnacker
South Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had the same experience with this quest.
But for me it's still part of the fun and the journey through Middle Earth.

Some scenarios and cards aren't the best, some are. Just is life.
For me that is what this LCG brings, ups and downs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stoyan Taskonidis
Bulgaria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My personal opinion is, that THfG is one of the easiest quests and holds my record score: 79. You could never judge a quest playing once as the next time the cards draw (both encounter and player decks) could be totally different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Linio Shay
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure with a red deck i'll have the same experience though, too many locations, not many monsters, I'm thinking the same experience will be had. But hey, i'll try again.

And although I too, want to be philosophical about it, when a game is costing a thousand bucks, I expect more ups than downs...

Thanks for the idea, indeed i'm pretty sure that Conflict at the Carrock will be more to my taste, thanks for the suggestions for the quests.

It was a good buy in the sense now that I know i will be very careful to check the cards I buy before actually buying them!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.