Through the Ages: A New Story of Civilization» Forums » General

Subject: A complete example game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hugh Grotius
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there anywhere to look at a journal or account of a complete game, move by move, from start to finish? The session reports here are helpful, but necessarily more general than a complete description of every civil action. I've also found some journals on BGO from ongoing games, but they're incomplete. I'd love to see a record of a complete game, from soup to nuts.

Failing that, I'd settle for a record of a game thru Age I or something -- and that I might be able to find on BGO if I keep looking. (Trouble is, BGO journals seem to keep only the most recent 40 entries or so.)

Partly I just want to make sure I've got the mechanics right, as I'm a newb. Partly I'm just curious to see how good players handle the nonstop parade of tough decisions. I guess I can learn the latter by signing up for a game at BGO, I guess, assuming newbs are welcome. I'm also learning by playing a solo game and, I hope, by playing with my kids.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bradshaw
United Kingdom
Newcastle Upon Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grotius wrote:
(Trouble is, BGO journals seem to keep only the most recent 40 entries or so.)

Hi Hugh. You can in fact obtain the full journal for a game on BGO. Simply press "play" on the top bar menu, then "View Game Journal" from the drop-down menu. You can then page through the entire game from start to finish.

I hope this helps. Enjoy the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh Grotius
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, John. That does help a lot!

Now to be greedy: Is there a way to see the board state (card row, player boards) while each move was made? Vassal has such a feature; you can "replay" a game, watching the board change with each move. But I don't think there's a Vassal module for the new TTA yet. (In general, I'd prefer an asynchronous game, like those on BGO.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would love to see a game between great players but I was not sure how to find one on BGO and watch it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bradshaw
United Kingdom
Newcastle Upon Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grotius wrote:
Is there a way to see the board state (card row, player boards) while each move was made?

I'm afraid not. There's no way to see what was in the card row when a player took a turn. I wanted such a facility when I started playing (the previous version of the game) but finally decided that the only way to learn was via the school of hard knocks - and start playing!

Good luck - it's a great game and one in which skill and results improve with experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Japhet
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I played a game in which I took a screenshot before each move with the intention of going over it later. It turned out to be a pretty one-sided victory for me though, so not much use. I'd love to see something like that done by an expert player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh Grotius
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, my kids and I completed the "tutorial game" in the "handbook," and I already have a much better handle on how things fit together. There sure are a lot of moving parts. And in our game, lots of leaders and cards strolled out of play (off the card row) without being selected, so that's lots of cards we didn't learn. Still, it was a good start.

My 16-year-old daughter cleaned my clock, 160-odd points to my 120-odd points.

This time we'll try a two-player game with the war and aggression cards in the deck. The good thing about being beaten in our first game is that she won't get too mad at me if I raid her successfully in game #2.

Anyway, thanks for the replies. I already feel better about the prospect of jumping on BGO and getting my keister kicked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't say I'm an expert, and five years ago I was even greener, but back in 2011 I put this geeklist together, which chronicled one 2p game with screen shots of the board from BGO each round.

Obviously it's the old version of TtA, but you might find it useful.

Through the Ages Session Report: Grant vs. Michael, Vol. XV - A Turn-By-Turn Analysis with Screenshots from BGO
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jonas havreglid
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I made a complete annotated game for the old version. With threads by all four players. The difference between versions is sufficiently small that I think it should give you what you seek.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1264661/learning-game-jonas-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh Grotius
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grant and Jonas, those are both fantastic! I'm impressed by the detailed analysis in both reports. I've already read through a significant chunk of each, and they've been very helpful. In particular, I'm impressed how much more thought you put into drafting yellow cards than we have. I think we've been under-valuing those cards, in general.

Anyway, I'll keep reading. Thanks for posting!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Sporre
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to play on BGO you can start a new game and call it "New players" and give it a 1-rating.

You also have this game where a group of good players discussed and voted on which moves to take. You can't see the board-state though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh Grotius
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds good, Johan. Thanks for the link!

I read through all of Jonas's game. Very helpful. Easy enough to follow, even with the difference in game editions. Now to finish looking at Grant's.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.