3 Posts

Mare Nostrum: Empires – Atlas Expansion» Forums » General

Subject: What are your thoughts of this expansion? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Linus Höglund
Sweden
flag msg tools
Subject: What are your thought on the expansion?
I really really want to know your thoughts on the Atlas expansion. I'm not entirely sure of all the content. Except for the 6 player, barbarians (if you like to play 2) and more Heroes and wonders there are new cards for attacking and defensive purpose? How does this inflict gameplay? More and harder decisions? Does it promote more fighting? More camping? Is that a good or a bad thing?. Does it add more "unknownd" information that makes it more luck based? And less tactical. What is you final thoughts?

Ps. (Sorry for poor grammar) Ds.

Trivia:
I think I will have "Alexander The Great" on repeat on my playlist when i play this game.
Up the Irons! devilarrrhwhistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Guttag
United States
West Chester
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Linus,

I've got the Atlas expansion but haven't played it yet. From my initial review of the contents and rulebook, this expansion adds lots more to MN than you might think at first blush, and greatly increases replayability. Besides the 2 and 6 player options, Atlas adds the following: (1) three Legendary Cities expansions which can be used alone or in multiples, along with a whole new Objectives mechanic which introduces special Bonus Cards; and (2) alternate game set ups for 3, 4, and 5 player games; the 4 and 5 player alternate set up games require the availability of the Atlas faction. Depending upon how much of the Legendary Cities expansions and alternate game set up you choose to use, you have quite a bit of variety for play in the Atlas expansion. And don't be surprised if Academy Games comes up with more expansions, as the nature of how the game board is laid out is masterful in allowing alternate game set ups, especially to address 3, 4, 5, and 6 player games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Almere Buiten
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Goratchthemule wrote:
Subject: What are your thought on the expansion?
I really really want to know your thoughts on the Atlas expansion. I'm not entirely sure of all the content. Except for the 6 player, barbarians (if you like to play 2) and more Heroes and wonders there are new cards for attacking and defensive purpose? How does this inflict gameplay? More and harder decisions?

Well .. the expansion consists out of a few things:
- Atlantis empire: good. Nice to expand the options to 6 players and have more options for 3/4/5 players. Too bad the new part of the board only has 4 new provinces, though.
- New heroes/wonders: not 100% convinced. Some are rather extreme and can tip the scales easier than the base game allowed.
- The cards: like the new heroes/wonders. It also makes the game less transparent, more complex and luck dependent and requires a bit more micro-management. Not sure if it's all for the better.

Thus far we only play with the Atlantis faction and have mixed some of the new heroes/monsters into the pool. Perhaps we'll look into the rest of the expansion later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.