Combat Commander: Europe» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Don't forget the Initiative Card rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Olesen
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I jusr today witnessed a lesson that I have had before, but not so vividly.

I was playing scenario 8 of the Tournament Battle Pack. It features a small Allied raid on France 3 weeks after Dunkirk, against a smaller German force. It uses map 4, which has a large building in the center (featuring a hotel in this scenario). There are two known 2VP objectives (buildings) in the german rear, and the hotel in the center does not really supply any VP. So I decided (as Allied) to send the bulk of my force around the hotel to my left. Visibility is poor at start (the raid is at dawn).

The Germans had set up a group (leader, squad, team) on the first timer (as per setup rules) to appear in any empty setup hex on the first timer.

It worked fine. I had almost bypassed the hotel to the left as planned, and had a group in a building and two units around it. The first timer had not yet come. I decided to move the group out, leaving the building empty, in order to move another unit in shortly after. That group hit a minefield (my opponent was defender and had an obscene amount of minefields and wires), and I drew a timer during the mine attack - leaving the building open to the German reinforcements, appearing in a building in the midst of my separated troops. They must have been hiding in the attic or the cellar.

1) I should have pulled the initiative to disrupt that timer. I forgot.
2) Or I should have moved another unit in first, to make sure the building was occupied. But then the mines would have attacked an overstacked hex.

Be warned: Never forget the initiative card when you have it!

In the end, I'm pretty sure this mistake cost me the game. We were pretty evenly matched, but I had an advantage at that point and lost it. He won with 10 VP (4 of which came from an objective chit draw that I had no control over).

This game was quite fluid, and vividly reminded me why I like the CC series so much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you do the classic "Forehead slap" when you remembered the initiative card?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Olesen
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, I don't do that. In my mind, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Confusion Under Fire
United Kingdom
Warrington
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
In one of my first games which was very tight and close to the end of the game I made an attempt to grab victory. I used the Initiative card to try to gain an extra VP by eliminating an enemy unit. Although the odds were in my favour, I failed and the game went to the player holding the Initiative card! I literally handed the opposition victory! Duh!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Pollock
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I have it, I actually keep it in my hand with the rest of the cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Olesen
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Overstacking does not affect cover in CC:Europe.
But if enough of them got broken, I'd have to eliminate due to overstacking at the end of my turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Train gamer, Euro gamer and War gamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Robert Olesen wrote:

Unless you are playing Stalingrad Special Rules, or the variant rules from C3i 21 (and also CC: Pacific): -1 cover for each figure over 7.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chicklewis wrote:
Did you do the classic "Forehead slap" when you remembered the initiative card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Friend
United States
Sierra Vista
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SD40 wrote:
Robert Olesen wrote:

Unless you are playing Stalingrad Special Rules, or the variant rules from C3i 21 (and also CC: Pacific): -1 cover for each figure over 7.

C31 21 is practically a must have for serious CC players for all the varients in it. Adopting that overstack rule from C3i and CC Pac is probably the most adopted for CC E. I like it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
"Hey, Joe! Got any live ones!?", (but Joe had no grenades). The tank rumbled nearer. Johnny stuffed explosives into his gloves, burrowed deep in the muck and waited; then deftly slapped them into a greasy tread axle and spun for cover; snap-firing...
mbmbmbmbmb
In addition to holding the initiative card in hand I use a plastic toy grenade I found at a dollar store that we pass back and forth for good fun during initiative changes. Strangely satisfying to pull the pin, depress the lever, hand off to the opponent along with the card and listen for the ticking countdown to explosion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gunderian007 wrote:
SD40 wrote:
Robert Olesen wrote:

You said 'unless' but the -1 cover per applies IF you use the variant.

Not sure what you are saying here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
SD40 wrote:
Gunderian007 wrote:
SD40 wrote:
Robert Olesen wrote:

You said 'unless' but the -1 cover per applies IF you use the variant.

Not sure what you are saying here.

I hypothesize that Paul misread what your "Unless" was contrasting with. I.e. you meant:

"That is true (that overstacking does not affect cover), unless you are playing Stalingrad rules, in which case (with Stalingrad rules) there is -1 cover..."

and he misunderstand your comment as:

"Unless you are playing Stalingrad rules, there is (normally) -1 cover...".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:

I hypothesize that Paul misread what your "Unless" was contrasting with. I.e. you meant:

"That is true (that overstacking does not affect cover), unless you are playing Stalingrad rules, in which case (with Stalingrad rules) there is -1 cover..."

and he misunderstand your comment as:

"Unless you are playing Stalingrad rules, there is (normally) -1 cover...".

Yeah, I meant the first one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.