1 Posts

Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: easy answer to the "peg problem" + storage solution. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Dim
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Using magnets is nothing new by any means - the whole 'swivel' option has been around for a while, however I disliked playing with someone who did the whole,

"I've modded my fighters.. yeah, no big deal, I put swivel magnets on my figures, so now I'm super cool and so are the fighters..."

...and then when they do the first maneuver during playing - they don't stay straight, spin around and face the wrong direction, fall off, etc... It was embarrassing, and it missed the point. It didn't really make set up faster, and when your model falls off just from basic maneuvers of the game which happen several times in one play... thats not good.

I'm not dogging this choice, I just wanted something similar that wouldn't do this. When it was clear that the newer models and pegs were slightly different in size, it added to my frustration and I finally realized that I had to do something.

hidden magnets.

The pegs have a natural 'reservoir' area in each model, which made the removal and subsequent hand drilling by a nice 1/8 drill and magnet perfect. The magnet also fits atop the base pegs perfectly once the insertion part it snipped off. If done nice and flush, the magnets are plenty strong to hold the weight of the model and base and NOT spin, something the 'swivel' magnets definitely fail at. Additionally, set up and tear down is faster. No more worrying about which generation fighter or peg you are paring up in order to get a tight fit... they all work with everything.

As a bonus, certain storage opportunities become available because 1: no more pesky and unsightly peg is present on all the models, and 2: the models themselves can break down to smaller components giving way to new storage ideas.

One major think to keep in mind: ALWAYS have a "standard base" that is, the first time you glue a magnet to a peg, ensure the polarities are always the same - that way, any fighter fits to any peg, otherwise you're defeating the purpose of making the fighter/peg generational differences null and your set up time is slowed still.

Most gaming stores that have a strong hobby content will have drill bits along with magnets that fit their size. Generally, the 1/8 fit the small bases well, and the 1/4 fit the large ones well.

I find the standard flat black for the pegs and bases appropriate, because it further conceals the magnets, and draws the attention to just the models. The drill bits should be done by hand for finesse reasons, (especially to make sure that the magnets are FLAT and PERPENDICULAR to the models direction of travel. Otherwise you just get the sloppy 'swivel' magnet look.

happy modding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.