GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

7,906 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Machi Koro: Bright Lights, Big City» Forums » General

Subject: Same game, Different art? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
badge
I am vengeance. I am the night. I am BATMAN!
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone know what this is? From the back of the box, it looks to be the same game with different art?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bond8089 wrote:
Anyone know what this is? From the back of the box, it looks to be the same game with different art?

Definitely not just new art. All of the Target Exclusives are at least a twist on the original game. Description states "a new gameplay set-up that makes each game play unique without ever slowing down the high-paced fun or losing any of the original charm."

Whether it's worth a purchase for those who already own Machi Koro is an altogether different story.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sanders
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bond8089 wrote:

My understanding (which could be wrong) is there is 1 new card in the game (moon tower) and then it is the "best of" Machi Koro (and it's expansions) with new rules as to how the game plays. Think of it as Machi Koro 2.0. At least this is what I have picked up on the internet last week - could be wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Gergotz
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked it up today.

It's a mix of cards from the original base game and both expansions.

The set-up is the 5-5-2 variant found on the boards here for awhile. 5 cards of 6 or lower, 5 of 7 or higher, and 2 purple cards.

The Moon Tower replaces the radio tower and lets you roll 3 dice and choose 2 of them to use for your roll.

Definitely not a must-buy if you have the game already, but if you only have the base game, it might not be a bad idea if you want the expansions. The updated card art is nice and I like the color scheme a little better than the original.

I managed to fit this and the original plus expansions in the box with the Broken Token insert, and I'll be trying out the day and night variant I found on the forum sometime soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Tan
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To be more precise, I'll do a comparison with the Deluxe version :

* 20-30% of the Deluxe Version/Expansion Cards missing. Notable ommisions : Mines, Hamburger Stand, Convenience Store, Radio Tower, Park, etc.
* Add 1 additional Dice, total of 3
* Add 1 Moon Tower card
* 5-5-2 Variant as official rules for marketplace. Removed old rules.
* No Felt Dice Bag
* Replaced regular daytime art with Night Lights art

It contains a lot lesser stuff than the Deluxe version, but definitely more than the base set. Recommded to get it only if you are a Machi Koro completionist, or if you dont have the expansions/Deluxe set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Franklin
United States
Vale
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My question is, for someone who has no Machi Koro, would this be a wise choice over the deluxe edition? If it is a "best of" with only the best cards/best way to play, seems like a good fit for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Monroe
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
FranklinT wrote:
My question is, for someone who has no Machi Koro, would this be a wise choice over the deluxe edition? If it is a "best of" with only the best cards/best way to play, seems like a good fit for me.

I'm not sure how much MK: BL,BC sells for but I would think it's personally worth it to spring for the Deluxe edition as you will have a lot more cards (for variety)
If you find some cards you don't like in the deluxe edition, just remove them and you still have plenty to play with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Zelasco
United States
Beavercreek
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How does the card quality compare vs. the new cardstock of the Deluxe edition? I know that the older original set had far better cardstock.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Gergotz
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AmanuJaku wrote:
How does the card quality compare vs. the new cardstock of the Deluxe edition? I know that the older original set had far better cardstock.

I can't say for the deluxe edition, but it seemed pretty similar to the original for me. The only difference is the token cardboard is a lot thinner than the original. But they do look nicer than the original.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pandasaurus Games
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
publisher
www.pandasaurusgames.com
badge
www.pandasaurusgames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
AmanuJaku wrote:

This is printed in the United States, and is very high quality card stock.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Jones
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stooge wrote:
AmanuJaku wrote:

Nonsense. These cards are in no way very high quality, regardless of where they were printed.

The cards are serviceable, certainly fine for the price of the game, and may be an improvement on the first edition - but throwing around hyperbole like this isn't going to win your company any fans. Have you ever played a European board or card game with cards manufactured by Carta Mundi or a similar manufacturer? Those are "very high quality" cards.

The cards in my copy of the game, purchased one week ago at Target, are already chipping after just a few shuffles. And I noticed color variation on the card backs of multiple cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua O'Connor
United States
Chicago
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
bclayj wrote:
stooge wrote:
AmanuJaku wrote:

Nonsense. These cards are in no way very high quality, regardless of where they were printed.

The cards are serviceable, certainly fine for the price of the game, and may be an improvement on the first edition - but throwing around hyperbole like this isn't going to win your company any fans. Have you ever played a European board or card game with cards manufactured by Carta Mundi or a similar manufacturer? Those are "very high quality" cards.

The cards in my copy of the game, purchased one week ago at Target, are already chipping after just a few shuffles. And I noticed color variation on the card backs of multiple cards.

Quite right, my Deluxe set decks were all warped. When I asked for replacements and was sent them, the replacements were also warped.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.